Yancheng/Jiang Yang S1100 engine/gen, are these any good?

Started by Mad_Labs, August 11, 2010, 08:39:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mad_Labs

Hi All,

I have a chance to buy a Yancheng/Jiang Yang S1100 engine/gen for a US kilobuck. It's brand new, still crated. The engine is 18 horse, water cooled with a 8kW gen head.

So are these good/ok/junk? An aquaintance has them, he has used one for years for backup. He likes it, but then he has several in crates to sell. :-0

A kilobuck is a lot for a dozenaire like me, so I'm hoping to get some input.

Thanks!

Jonathan

vdubnut62

I paid 500 plus shipping for my (well) (ab)used Xing dong 1100, then tore it down and cleaned the mud out and did a valve job and over 500 for the gen head, including shipping , then built mounts and adapters.
Sounds like a hell of a deal to me. Just do the usual checks on everything before you try and use it.
Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

Mad_Labs

Great! So what are the usual checks I should do?  I'll poke around for a thread, but valve clearances and so on? The guy I'm getting it from says one thing is to smooth out the coupler to the gen head, he says they can be a little rough and wear the bushing or whatever you call that.

Thanks for the input!

Jonathan

mobile_bob

do a search on HWEW
Henry relates the issues surrounding a 195 di engine he bought and reworked for sevice

at a minimum i would remove the gear cover and make darn sure "all" of the bolts/fasteners are up to standards
and torqued properly, the last thing you need is a bolt to come loose and go through the gear train.

for a grand, to get an 1100 with a genhead is an incredible buy in my books

btw, it will deliver all of the 8kw capability of the genhead, without a problem

bob g

vdubnut62

Jens, it's prob not a lovejoy coupler, I'll bet it's like the one sold on Epay with the 6 or 8 plastic rod thingies.
I thought I posted a pic of one around here somewhere, evidently not, I can't find it. Anyway, here's the item #  320568389950 for ebay.

Jonathan, here is a link to Henry's checklist     http://www.microcogen.info/index.php?topic=285.0
Oh and welcome to the dozenaire's club, and to Microcogen!
I have a copied manual for an 1100 that one of the guys here emailed me,  the engines are  pretty much all the same. PM me and I'll attempt to scan it and
forward you a copy, if you want. By the way,  the plate on my 1100 rates it at 16hp @2000 rpm IIRC.

Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

Mad_Labs

Even better! Thanks for the input, I will be buying the beast, and I will look closely into what to do before startup. I'm a decent mechanic with quite a bit of small diesel expereince, albeit marine engines.

Anyway, thanks for the help. Not too many places to get advice on these buggers.

Jonathan