Some videos of our prototype

Started by jmw, July 17, 2010, 05:11:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmw

I've put some videos of our prototype vegoil-burning S1100 on youtube:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsMAdspwRUY

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7Ex_YX3JxI

There's a part 2 coming where we put the generator in an enclosure and investigated noise and temperature control issues.

Any questions or feedback is very welcome.

Mark

AdeV

Quote from: jmw on July 17, 2010, 05:11:13 AM
I've put some videos of our prototype vegoil-burning S1100 on youtube:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsMAdspwRUY

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7Ex_YX3JxI

There's a part 2 coming where we put the generator in an enclosure and investigated noise and temperature control issues.

Any questions or feedback is very welcome.

Hi Mark,

It seems to be surprisingly noisy (much more so than the Listeroids) - is that mostly (as mobile bob speculates elsewhere) valve-train noise, or are those silencers not cutting the exhaust noise as much as you might hope? Or is it just a hyper-sensitive microphone?
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
Lister CS 6/1 with ST5
Lister JP4 looking for a purpose...
Looking for a Changfa in my life...

jmw

These engines are notoriously noisy, but not as bad as the Indian Petters.
The silencers are good and actually it does seem that noisy when standing next to it.

The noise is not from the exhaust. It is the combustion process and mechanical noise.

The third video (not published yet) has the same engine in an enclosure and noise level is very good. The frequency is just right for the commercially available sound proofing materials.

I have seen videos of these engines (mobile bob?) with automotive silencers on them, and they sounded relatively quiet. I was hoping to beat those results by using an IDI engine, but apparently not.
I was also hoping that using vegoil would reduce the noise, but again, apparently not.

Mark

veggie

jmw,

Consider using an automotive muffler which internally reverses the flow direction (twice) instead of passing through in a straight line.
This made a big difference on my Changfa setup.
Not much can be done about the mechanical noise other than placing the unit in an enclosure as you suggested.
I think the DI engines may be slightly less noisy than the IDI units. Counterbalance shaft gear train noise is a trademark of the Changfa.

Nice rig you built there,
veggie

jmw

Veggie,

Thanks for the complement.

The next video I'm posting (when I eventually get round to it) has the genset in an enclosure.
You can tell then that there's not much noise coming from the exhaust. I agree though that an automotive exhaust may be a better solution (even though the primary silencer I am using is architecture quite complex) - certainly from a cost POV.

I also agree that the DI engines appear to be slightly quieter, but I can't work out why. The theory points to the opposite. Any ideas would be very welcome.

I've still got more research to do on the injection timing. This can have a profound affect on noise (as well as exhaust temperature and economy). I've ordered a range of shim sizes which will make the job easier.

Mark

jmw

The next video in the series is now on youTube:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z1lWrOTgPg

It's definitely my camera microphone that is not dong this machine justice. It's actually quite quiet when you're there.

Mark

jmw

Apologies for the blatant advertising.

I'm posting the link here because I know there are folks that will be interested in this from a technical point of view.
However, the video itself will be used for promotional purposes.

Mark

jmw

Jens, we've got a total of five 'friendly' test sites running chinese horizontal diesels. They have all got high pressure line fuel heaters. The first was setup in 2006, two more in 2008 and two recent ones.
The most recent two have also got glow-plugs which are used at every start and remain on for 30 seconds after the engine has started.
The first three engines all showed worse than expected piston ring wear at the first examination (can't remember exact how many hours), but did not need replacing at that time. Since then, they have been running on WVO/kerosene blends and the oil change interval has been shortened. There was also sooting and pitting on the exhaust valves and seats.
There is obviously a correlation between exhaust cleanliness and engine component wear. The high pressure line heater is critical to getting the exhaust clean while running, but didn't help when starting from cold. Getting the engine hot as quickly as possible, certainly reduced the amount of smoke from the exhaust.
It took a lot of testing to get the high pressure line heater temperature right. I got it too high once and found the engine to be behaving very strangely - I eventually got down to the cause of the problem - the heater was causing the fuel to expand so much that it was causing random extra pops (injections) from the injector.
The two most recent builds also have the injection timing advanced which has resulted in these engines giving less smoke with WVO than a standard one does with diesel.

Mark

slowspeed

Hi
JMW
changfa set up and  running diesel and wvo mix
I have been looking for a glow plug that will fit the changfa.
Can you sell 1 or 2
Thanks Jeff
Phoenix AZ

Working with Witte 15/1,WVO Lister 12/2 with 25kw Gen head,Gasifier,Sterling Engine,Solar,Hydrogen,300sd Benz on WVO,Dodge Truck on WVO

jmw

Jeff,

I would like to sell lots more of the glow-plugs.
The manufacturers special build had a very large minimum purchase quantity, and I need to recoup some of this massive investment.

I presume you have the right type of cylinder head (the one with the cold-start bolt in it)?

Mark

NevadaBlue

Mark,
I have an S1100A2NM engine on a 10 KW generator. How can I tell if it has the proper head for the glow plug installation?

slowspeed

Yes
I have the Plug in the head just above the injector
the book says to stuff some paper in the hole and light it to heat or glow the engine
I would like to get 3 glow pugs
looks to be about 7/16 18TPI
but I know it is not SAE
could not  use my glow plug from my 300sd benz NO GO
I mounted a benz alternator in place of the fan that was on the back of the radiator
use the 12 volt DC for all 12 pumps,fans,and charge battery

You have done a GREAT job on the genny set up Good luck
I have a machine shop in Phoenix USA if you need an outlet
Jeff
Working with Witte 15/1,WVO Lister 12/2 with 25kw Gen head,Gasifier,Sterling Engine,Solar,Hydrogen,300sd Benz on WVO,Dodge Truck on WVO