Oil pressre switch using 'off the self' fittings

Started by jmw, June 09, 2010, 05:13:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmw

I've managed to successfully make an oil switch fitting for my S1100 using off the shelf pipe fittings.

The silver fitting is a M10 brake pipe coupling, so many automotive oil pressure switches will screw straight in.

I cut the banjo coupling down a bit just to make the unit more compact, but obviously it is not a necessary modification.

The double banjo bolt is M8 and directly replaces the existing single banjo bolt.

My intention was to weld the banjo coupling to the M10 brake pipe coupling, but as I wanted it to look neat and my welding skills are very poor, I thought I'd give JB weld a go. I've given it a good test and so far no problems/leaks.

I used the self-tapping screw (found one that fit perfectly) to hod the two fittings together whilst the JB cured. It also made sure no JB weld obstructed the oil pathway.

Mark

playdiesel

I did a similar thing to the banjo fittings on my Listeroid fuel lines but I soldered the joint. I use JB but have learned to not trust it when it is combined with hot and oil. As an aside I just happened to be at my neighborhood diesel pump shop this week and noticed a display board of every kind of banjo fitting imaginable, threaded male and female, pipe, straight/O-ring and hose barb. You might check a local shop.
Fume and smoke addict
electricly illiterate

Tom Reed

I'll second that big time for the no no on JB weld and hot oil. Even on a freshly boiled out block and a new plug.
Ashwamegh 6/1 - ST5 @ just over 4000 hrs
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom