News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Tell me about this 15KW ST rectifier?

Started by playdiesel, May 28, 2010, 08:35:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

playdiesel

This is the rectifier from my new 15KW ST head from Tom Osborn at Central Georgia Generator. Doesnt look like the ones you guys say are crap? Try it? replace? Dont know?? What ya think?

Fume and smoke addict
electricly illiterate

Ronmar

Well it dosn't look like it is bolted together from individual diodes like the OEM one on my ST-5.  Get a solid state replacement, and run this one till it fails...
Ron
"It ain't broke till I Can't make parts for it"

lowspeedlife

Loks just like the ones in my 15 KW units about 2 1/2 to 3 inches long, 1 1/2 wide, nice heat sink on it. The biggest problem is that I have not found the large spade terminals to replace the lousy ones half a$$ crimped onto the wires, It appears that you have the same crappy ones on yours, as I see the #1 terminal in your picture appears damaged.

Scott R.
Old Iron For A New Age

OilCan

I cut the slip-on lugs off and replaced them with #8 ring lugs and screws/nuts with some short sections of heat shrink tubing over the wire to insulators of the lugs.  Just added insurance to allow for vibration.  The brass slip-on lugs just do not maintain tension and are brittle.

Main thing is good airflow across the diode package heat sink to keep things cool.

lowspeedlife

Quote from: OilCan on June 04, 2010, 09:43:09 AM
Main thing is good airflow across the diode package heat sink to keep things cool.

Agreed, I drilled a hole in the right side of the brush holder end bell end (looking from the brush holder end of the gen)  & mounted it there so the generator fan would give it a constant flow of air.

Scott R.
Old Iron For A New Age