News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

gas engine genset? hmmm

Started by mobile_bob, September 23, 2009, 12:50:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AdeV

To answer the original topic (sorry, bit late to the party on this one, that truck genset looks coool): IMHO, a petrol (sheesh, gas, whatever ;D) genset will be less pleasant than a diesel one for several reasons.

The main reason: A petrol engine tends to generate its best power high up the rev range, so you need to rev the nuts off it to make it work.

If you decide you can get away with running a bit off tickover (say, 1500rpm), you'll have big problems trying to control it.

Auto-start & warmup are a bitch because you need to control the choke AND the throttle. Mind you, I don't know much about the B&S, other than the fact that most "engine" guys hate them. Maybe they're peaches to start & run?

My bus-mounted diesel generator started life as a 1.4l 4-pot petrol engine (ex Rover IIRC), and it was always a nightmare. Speed control was by far the biggest problem; it'd bog right down when you asked it for power, and when the load disappeared it would rev its tits off until the governer caught up. Replacing with a 4-banger diesel unit and all of those probs went away. Or we could have fixed it by running the engine at 3000rpm I suppose, apart from the noise & wear of course.
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
Lister CS 6/1 with ST5
Lister JP4 looking for a purpose...
Looking for a Changfa in my life...

mobile_bob

Ade:

generally i would agree with most all you have stated, but there are some nice exceptions

miller welders sold many years ago a gas drive welder, used a 12hp kohler cast iron engine, i still use one
and did just today
it welds at 3600rpm driving a 4pole head directly for a nice ac welding current of 120hz
and it provide 3.5kwatts at engine idle 1800rpm 120volts at 60hz (more or less stable, the old governor aint what it used to be)

also i have a sweet little kohler cast iron genset, it runs at 1800rpm and is rated at 4kwatts
very much like a direct drive startomatic in that the genhead doubles as a starter, although it is direct drive.

so maybe one could take a 25hp Vtwin gas/petrol engine and drive a 6-8kwatt head and run at 1800 to 2400 or
so with belt drive like the OP example, that might be a nice compromise in noise/power?

of course when it comes to his truck weight is a huge factor, leaving out slower speed diesels i would think
looks to me like he has about all the little truck can handle now with the aircooled genset?

in any event i would like to see that little rig work! looks like a pretty cool unit all in all

bob g

mike90045

Do store-bought count in this category?
I got a Honeywell 2KW inverter genset from Home Depot when they had a big sale - $300   I guess they go on sale there every couple of months.

review @ amazon
http://www.amazon.com/review/R37XOA5ZCK09ZH/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm

admin

Mike:

sure why not!

got ahead and start a new thread in this board and do a writeup on the thing
there might be others interested in hearing about it.

admin

SHIPCHIEF

So back to the gas engine gen sets....
I ran 2 of my Onans today, getting ready for winter I guess.
I had to open the carb on the 6.5 NH, and remove the floats and admission valve. A bit-o-crap was blocking the fuel on it's way into the carb and it couldn't maintain speed, let alone carry a load. Go figure; it has a fuel filter.
All good now, I load tested it @ 4200 Watts for about an hour on some 2 year old gas. I think it's up to speed for the winter.
The next one is a 5.0 Kw Onan CCK 120 volt only unit I got for free about 2006. I had to make new plug wires for it and change the plugs. That was the only problem, and probably why I got it so cheap. I had mounted it on an old Murray riding lawn mower frame so I can move it around. It ran fine right from the get-go. It got the same 3 plug in heaters which add up to 4200 watts when checked with the Kill-a-watt, even tho the ratings add up to 4500.
I do believe I like the cast iron 5.0 CCK better than the newer aluminum block 6.5 NH.
I have an even older 4.0 CCK, which was made when Onan was part of Studebaker. It needs a mower base or garden cart or something to mount it on....
One of them is going to get propane adapted to it also. I have the propane bug just right now (who knows why...I'm just going with it). ???

SHIPCHIEF

So my Onan CCK 4.0 is a rip out from an ancient motorhome. When I got it, it would not start. I pulled the heads and found the exhaust valves stuck open. I twisted them with a pipe wrench, ever so slowly while squirting Kroil at the valve stems, hoping some would work it's way into the valve guides.
Eventually they came around, so I decarboned the heads and put it back together using the same head gaskets.
Now I have a Genny that needs a cart, so today I got some 4" steel channel and some 6" castors & fixed wheels. I welded the frame this evening, maybe I can get it on the wheels and the genny mounted tomorrow. After the Murray mower mount, I made sure to leave room for the oil drain and the cooling air outlet. The battery goes on the new frame behind the generator end bell. The castors leave the frame closer to the ground, so the muffler won't fit under like in the motor home. The exhaust pipe will have to be forward of, or above the genny.
Fuel is by dropping the fuel suction hose into a gas can. when it's empty, bring another gas can and put the hose in. I think it is safer than pouring gas into a fuel tank on the generator? I'm willing to entertain opinions on fuel handling and gas gennys. If someone has a better plan or reasons why this way is un-usable, I'd like to hear it. The pic shows the 5.0 CCK on the murray riding mower chassis, behind on the right is the 4.0 CCK with the new welded frame leaning up against it.

SHIPCHIEF

Today was Onan Generator Mounting Day.
I had to go back to the steel yard for some more U channel, I hadn't thought out the wheel mounting.
While I was there I saw a piec of 1" square tube which had a U bend, perfect for a push handle for the cart.
Here's a 'small' pic. The last try was rejected as 'too large'.  :P
Still more to do; exhaust, battery & cables, Service outlets, etc.

SHIPCHIEF

This afternoon, before I went ot work, I got the Onan 4.0 CCK running. It had no compression, so I removed the air shields and heads, which is quicker than removing a head on a listeroid.  ;)
The exhaust valves were stuck open, so I squirted them with WD-40 and tapped them back down with the wood handle end of my hammer, until they were free again.
I re-assembled the engine and it started right up! Perfect 122 volts and 60 Hz. No blowby either.
This was removed from an early 1970's Dodge motorhome wreck that hippies had been living in.
I'm looking for a 5.0 CCK 3r (120/240 Volt) in my area. I'm really hooked on these quiet and tough generators. At 420 pounds, you couldn't really call them portable, but on a caster cart they are 'mobile'.

SHIPCHIEF

Well, I called a Craigslist ad for another ONAN CCK.
This one is the 5.0 CCK 3CR that I've been looking for. It's the 120/240 Volt model with remote start panel.
It's not 'stuck', but also not running, so I ended up getting it for $120.
I know this thread has been dormant for a while, but I'm just sayin'  ;)

mobile_bob

how can you pass that up?

i picked up a miller aead le welder/generator powered by an onan, ran like a top but would not weld
for 200 bucks off craiglist a few months ago,

found a loose spade connector and back to welding she goes.

225amps ac/dc at 100% duty cycle, how can you beat that?

bob g

rcavictim

Quote from: mobile_bob on September 05, 2010, 10:32:53 AM
how can you pass that up?

i picked up a miller aead le welder/generator powered by an onan, ran like a top but would not weld
for 200 bucks off craiglist a few months ago,

found a loose spade connector and back to welding she goes.

225amps ac/dc at 100% duty cycle, how can you beat that?

bob g

That's gonna be very hard to beat Bob!  Nice score.  Pics?
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

mobile_bob

i will see if i can get a pic of the beast this afternoon,

it only came with about 15ft of leads though

i guess you don't get everything for 200 bucks huh?

bob g

SHIPCHIEF

WAAA!  :'(
Aren't we cryin'!!
I guess I was watching craigslist on a different day. One of those Miller or Lincoln generator welders would be most welcome @ my place too!
Just keep your eyes open, some nice long welding leads are sure to show up (when you're low on money!)

mobile_bob

leads i got plenty of, so that was of no concern at the time
however i wouldn't have complained had the machine come with 50' of 2/0

:)

bob g

mobile_bob

got around to clearing out the shop enough to untarp the miller welder and move it in under cover
the monsoon season will soon be here.

the previous owner had installed a new starting battery, the guy he got it from put on a new fuel tank
aside from needing a new shaft seal on the fuel bowl shutoff it runs flawlessly.

it is 225amps AC and 200amps DC at 100% duty cycle, at 3000rpm and will also provide 120vdc for a drill or angle grinder
simultaneously, and at 1800rpm it will provide 120/240 60hz at 5kwatt

probably not the most efficient power generation unit, but certainly a nice dual purpose unit that will fit in well for what my intended
use is,

i have a large external wire feeder, and a spool gun, along with a tig torch and high freq unit that i will be working on powering with this
puppy at some point after the move and after i get settled in,, perhaps a good winter project.

bob g