News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Injector cleaning

Started by Jens, May 01, 2010, 03:12:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jens

I thought that someone here had posted a way to clean hard carbon off the injector tip but I can't seem to find it. Any hints ?
I gave up on subtle this time around and carefully used the wire wheel (shudder) which I would rather not do again. I had pretty much a complete 'cap' of carbon over the entire thing except right around the injection hole. Thumper had gradually started to smoke more and more (white mostly) and after cleaning the exhaust seems much cleaner.
BTW, the amount of carbon/crud was the same on the cylinder that uses injection line heating and the cylinder that doesn't.

Chris

Has anyone ever tried oven cleaner? I have normal used kerosene, a tooth brush and alot of time, Soaking for several days. Having a spare on hand is a good idea and the indian ones are quite reasinable.
Chris

mobile_bob

soak it in pure acetone, and don't use a wire brush
the injector hole(s) are easily deformed with brush causing a faulty spray pattern

bob g

OilCan

I believe I've used a few shots from spray can of carb/choke cleaner, then finished
off with BG injector cleaner and green pad. Single edge blade can help on the stubborn
areas. Remember approximately the number of turns on your injector adjustment screw
if your tearing it down.  It's been a while since I did it on a Changfa mech. injector.

Geno

Recently I've been getting more carbon on the tip than usual. I don't know why. I scrape as much as possible off with my knife, avoiding the hole. Then I use a soft metal wire brush. The carbon may be a little softer when it's hot. I had the plunger out yesterday and gave it and the tip a thorough cleaning. Hopefully it will last a little longer this time. The spray pattern still looks good after many cleanings.

Thanks, Geno

Tom Reed

Mine carbons up too, from the hydraulic oil that it's burning. The carbon on mine is pretty soft and can be scraped off with a thumbnail. I've read, but haven't tried, that diesel works well.

It will be interesting to see if your centrifuge cleans up the oil enough to prevent the carbon buildup.
Ashwamegh 6/1 - ST5 @ just over 4000 hrs
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom