News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Mond Gas - A historical perspective

Started by k_jab, April 30, 2010, 05:16:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

k_jab

100 years ago, or so, electrical power generation was in its infancy.

The reciprocating steam engine, fuelled with coal, and its resulting poor efficiency, was slowly being replaced by large gas engines, burning manufactured coal gas.  The use of gas engines, resulted in a generation efficiency four times that of steam, and a reduction in the labour costs.

Mond Gas, a process devised by notable industrial chemist Ludwig Mond, was produced from the lowest quality coal, and also produced a useful by-product of ammonium sulphate which was used as fertiliser.  

This well illustrated, scanned book, dating from 1903, describes the process, the uses of Mond gas in gas engines and the efficiency of the generating plant.  Full of facts and figures relating to the machinery of that era.

http://ia340926.us.archive.org/3/items/mondgas00woodrich/mondgas00woodrich.pdf

Gas engines were coupled together to produce large generating plants (for that day) - sometimes 20,000hp (15MW).

It was only the improvements to the steam turbine around the time of WW1, that displaced gas engines as the preferred choice for large scale electricity generation.

For anyone considering a micro-cogeneration plant, the history of Mond Gas makes interesting reading.  Our forefathers were faced with the same basic economic choices when it came to generating power, - and it is interesting to note, that neither the efficiency of the gas engine, nor the electrical generator has improved much in the last 100 years.

Ken

mkdutchman

Interesting article, thanks for the link
2 Metro 6/1s running off grid, charging a 48v battery bank, for primary power and CHP
3 Outback 1548 1500W inverters in a 3phase layout
1 Samlex 1500W inverter for 110AC

mobile_bob

i guess i need to start playing the lottery, and hope to win
that is the only way i am going to find the time to try all these interesting things

thanks for the link!

bob g

vdubnut62

Men, I am amazed with the diversity of knowledge that is presented here!
No wonder it's my favorite place to visit.
Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous