News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Tower Climbing

Started by rl71459, April 29, 2010, 03:48:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rl71459

Cool Video! it's not new but I thought maybe some have not yet seen it.

Enjoy
Rob

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HO-wTO7ice8

Henry W

He has some screws loose on his machine. Time to get the torque wrench out and re-torque. :o
I have seen some stunts but I don't know about this. What a way to entertain a croud.
Henry

mobile_bob

Flywheel is going to enjoy this one!

:)

i don't trust any machine to that level, hell i don't trust a ladder over about the 3 rung either!

bob g

flywheel

Quote from: mobile_bob on April 29, 2010, 08:16:34 PM
Flywheel is going to enjoy this one!

:)

i don't trust any machine to that level, hell i don't trust a ladder over about the 3 rung either!

bob g

I watched this one several times a few weeks ago, so long as a hyd hose does not blow out while he is climbing to the next level he should be ok. The rest of the time the excavator is locked in place while the operator repositions the boom attachment on the next higher level.
After nearly forty years of operating excavators I don't believe I would attempt it.
                                                                                                               flywheel
Never met a diesel engine I didnt like.

mobile_bob

i wouldn't attempt anything like that, and i bet that machine is fitted with tube locks on all critical cylinders
so that if there was a hose failure the cylinder affected locks in place.

makes for a very complex piece of machinery, but no way would i want anything to do with such a stunt
without tube locks.

i thought maybe flywheel would appreciate that clip, given his vast experience operating this sort of equipment.

when i first started to watch the clip i was trying to figure out the practical application, finally after it was done
i had the "duh" moment of realization that it was a show stunt only.

bob g

rcavictim

Quote from: Jens on April 29, 2010, 11:47:29 PM
Quote from: mobile_bob on April 29, 2010, 10:56:52 PM
when i first started to watch the clip i was trying to figure out the practical application, finally after it was done
i had the "duh" moment of realization that it was a show stunt only.

You never know when you need an excavator on the top of a highrise ....

Aw heck, then you come in low and slow with a hercules aircraft and do an air drop with a chute on the back of the excavator.  Hoping it comes to a stop and doesn't go over the edge.  :D
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

Lloyd

I'm completely out of my mind...hell I might even start to appreciate the bad video on y.uTu.e...I have seen a lot of operators in action..I'm pretty sure the good ones could even pull wisdom teeth.

I'm just sure that the operator, there was not compensated for the value of the risk.....

but sure was worth my time to watch..actually the whole stunt seemed pretty well engineered.

lloyd
JUST REMEMBER..it doesn't matter what came first, as long as you got chickens & eggs.
Semantics is for sitting around the fire drinking stumpblaster, as long as noone is belligerent.
The Devil is in the details, ignore the details, and you create the Devil's playground.

Apogee

wow...

makes my hands sweat just watching it.

guy has balls of steel imho, stunt or not.

BIG BALLS!

no way in hell i'd try that...

billswan

Quote from: Apogee on May 01, 2010, 07:58:52 AM
wow...

makes my hands sweat just watching it.

guy has balls of steel imho, stunt or not.

BIG BALLS!

no way in hell i'd try that...

What about the Idiot with the microphone that stands directly below the excavator when it is nearing the top?

He either is a fool or also has bigguns!!

Personally I think the whole stunt is crazy, all the way from the guy that thought it up to the people engineering the tower to the 2 guys most at risk. Have to wounder if there was also some insurance company at risk there to.
Who would have paid for the loss if the tower failed and the whole thing fell sideways and smacked one of those buildings to the rear. Can't tell but it sure looked like they were in range! And yes I did see the guy cables!

Billswan
16/1 Metro DI at work 900rpm and 7000watts

10/1 Omega in a state of failure

rl71459

Anyone interested can view a much higher quality video by searching it on the web. I only posted the
the Youtube version because I was having trouble posting the Original Video (It was HUGE). This is a few years old and has been reproduced multiple times the tube version was much smaller.

Rob