News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

New Lighting Legislation

Started by Lloyd, April 25, 2010, 02:11:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lloyd

New Lighting Legislation
Starting in 2012 and continuing through 2014, standard incandescent light bulbs are going away as a result of U.S. federal lighting efficiency standards:

* 100-watt bulbs can no longer be made in January 2012;
    * 75-watt bulbs can no longer be made in January 2013; and
    * 60- and 40-watt bulbs can no longer be made in January 2014.
________
----

Will be interesting...in home not so many issues...but in a commercial case...I can see some real issues...if the market dosent step up.

I hope this will push the market...to get on a real LED solution at a price that doesn't feel like taxation.

lloyd
JUST REMEMBER..it doesn't matter what came first, as long as you got chickens & eggs.
Semantics is for sitting around the fire drinking stumpblaster, as long as noone is belligerent.
The Devil is in the details, ignore the details, and you create the Devil's playground.

AdeV

Quote from: Lloyd on April 25, 2010, 02:11:59 AM
New Lighting Legislation
Starting in 2012 and continuing through 2014, standard incandescent light bulbs are going away as a result of U.S. federal lighting efficiency standards:

* 100-watt bulbs can no longer be made in January 2012;
    * 75-watt bulbs can no longer be made in January 2013; and
    * 60- and 40-watt bulbs can no longer be made in January 2014.
________
----

Will be interesting...in home not so many issues...but in a commercial case...I can see some real issues...if the market dosent step up.

I hope this will push the market...to get on a real LED solution at a price that doesn't feel like taxation.

Here in the UK, 100-watt incandescent bulbs - and all "pearl" (opaque) incandescents - have already been banned. However, it turns out that it's basically impossible to police, so its only the big shops which have stopped selling them. 100w bulbs are still widely available on eBay & in corner shops.

So, ultimately, until China bans them, I don't think there will be any serious shortages.
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
Lister CS 6/1 with ST5
Lister JP4 looking for a purpose...
Looking for a Changfa in my life...

Fat Charlie

They have special police units to catch people watching TV without having paid their license fee, but they can't keep up with the infamous Mom & Pop crime gang viciously stocking their shelves with black market bulbs?

I'm already mostly on CFLs, and mostly okay with them, but I guess in a few years I'll be looking for LEDs for my dimmers. 
Belleghuan 10/1
Utterpower PMG
Spare time for the install?  Priceless.
Solar air and hot water are next on the list.

vdubnut62

I think the Legislators need a hobby like fly tying or maybe building a replica of the Capital building out of matches.
Their hobby seems to be "legislating".
Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

rcavictim

I need to find a cheap source of 1000 watt mogul base 230 volt tungsten filament lamps.  I use eight of them on a portable plywood panel as a generator load bank and simultaneous radiant heater.  I need to add four more lamp sockets and lamps and get some spare bulbs.  Anyone seen these big light bulbs on surplus sale anywhere?  These were used once upon a time as street lighting.

The attached photo shows the type of bulb I am after.  Frosted as well as the clear type shown is fine.  I used to use them to channel cosmic energy with my mind.   :o
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

rcavictim

Quote from: Jens on April 25, 2010, 11:20:41 AM
Quote from: rcavictim on April 25, 2010, 11:05:42 AM
I used to use them to channel cosmic energy with my mind. 

How did that work out for you :) ?

It allowed me to make the afore attached picture.  Not much more.  Maybe some fried nerves....literally.
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

billswan

RCA

You know I have 2 of those big bulbs stashed away some where in my collection of stuff.

Never used them as I have not found any of the big sockets in the trash.

Billswan

16/1 Metro DI at work 900rpm and 7000watts

10/1 Omega in a state of failure

rcavictim

Quote from: billswan on April 25, 2010, 01:01:43 PM
RCA

You know I have 2 of those big bulbs stashed away some where in my collection of stuff.

Never used them as I have not found any of the big sockets in the trash.

Billswan

Bill,

If you use 'em as I did by lighting them in your mouth you can do without the big mogul socket!  :D

vdubnut62

RCA, I knew you had a few issues, but Damn! :D
Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

lowspeedlife

I need to find a cheap source of 1000 watt mogul base 230 volt tungsten filament lamps.  I use eight of them on a portable plywood panel as a generator load bank and simultaneous radiant heater.  I need to add four more lamp sockets and lamps and get some spare bulbs.  Anyone seen these big light bulbs on surplus sale anywhere?  These were used once upon a time as street lighting.

The attached photo shows the type of bulb I am after.  Frosted as well as the clear type shown is fine.  I used to use them to channel cosmic energy with my mind.   :o

Does any one remember Uncle Fester???

Scott r.
Old Iron For A New Age

rcavictim

Quote from: lowspeedlife on April 26, 2010, 11:29:52 AM

Does any one remember Uncle Fester???

Scott r.

Of course!  He used to channel viewer's energy towards the sponsors by way of Hollywood's mind.  I used the dude's name for my posted photo above.

lowspeedlife

HA!!! I didn't even notice the name on the jpg file when i posted before. too funny!!

scott r
Old Iron For A New Age

Dail R H

Kinda makes my tinfoil hat seem low tech

rcavictim

Quote from: Dail R H on May 01, 2010, 10:45:59 AM
   Kinda makes my tinfoil hat seem low tech

With health hazards now proven beyond a shadow of any doubt from human exposure to cell phone radiation and the rest of the manmade microwave soup we live in today, 'tinfoil hats' may soon be finding a wider appeal than just amongst the lunatic fringe.

AdeV

Quote from: rcavictim on May 01, 2010, 11:13:33 AM
With health hazards now proven beyond a shadow of any doubt from human exposure to cell phone radiation and the rest of the manmade microwave soup we live in today, 'tinfoil hats' may soon be finding a wider appeal than just amongst the lunatic fringe.

Really?

I know that some people claim (and maybe are) sensitive to man-made electromagnetic radiation, but as far as I am aware there are no definitive proven health hazards. Well, excluding X-rays & gamma rays, obviously.
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
Lister CS 6/1 with ST5
Lister JP4 looking for a purpose...
Looking for a Changfa in my life...