News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Steve's new toy ( Jinma X195DN )

Started by Apogee, April 24, 2010, 09:46:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Apogee

So, I thought that I'd share my most recent find.

Now to find a manual and decently priced parts source.

The engine is a Jinma X195DN.  I'm thinking it's essentially the same beast as an S195 but don't know 100% for sure yet.

It's got a Winco 8kw, 1800 rpm head.

It doesn't currently run.  The story goes, it was owned by a wealthy individual and it just stopped while running a couple of winters ago.  They guy fooled with it a bit, couldn't get it running again, and went out and bought a Honda because it was being used for heat and he had animals to protect.  Didn't run out of oil or water.  Engine is free and turns easily and has compression.  I do think the guy that I bought it from burned up the starter attempting to get it to start but not certain about that either.

I'm very impressed with what I see so far.  To be honest, I didn't really take these things seriously because I hadn't seen one in real life.  Nice little engine!

$150 total.

I would submit that I scored!!!!

Steve ;-)

Apogee

Apogee

mobile_bob

very nice score, welcome to the clan!

and you are right, if it has compression, and isn't seized, it should run again without too much trouble

probably a fuel related issue, they can be a bugger to get the air out,  failing that, you might want to pull the side cover
and have a look at the governor to make sure the ball race is still intact, just as a precaution.

very cool find, at a hell of a price.

bob g

Apogee

I like the belt tension design.

Hope you guys enjoy!

Off to work at this end.

Have a great day,

Steve

veggie

Good rig for a project.
If I may make a suggestion.....
Because the manifolds point upwards (intake and exhaust) and have no protection via muffler and filter, there could be a chance that debris accumulated in the head over the years of storage. Worse yet, if the unit was exposed to the elements, water may have entered the head and cylinder bore. Even if the engine turns over freely, there may be a lot of damage occurring with every stroke. Consider removing the head and doing a thorough cleaning/inspection before running the engine.

have fun with your new project and keep us posted of the progress,
veggie

Apogee

Thanks Bob and Veggie for the tips!

We're on the same page.  I plan to pull it apart before even trying to start it just to check things out.  I was told it's been outside about 3 months, so at the very least, the head should come off.

I'll likely just rebuild it, that way I know what I'm starting out with.

We'll see what I find once I start taking it apart.  Right now, there are other projects in front of it.  However, it's pretty cool and it might just move up the list...

Anyone have a manual for an S195?

Thanks again for the tips!

Steve

mobile_bob

i got a manual and iirc we live pretty close to one another? aren't you in parkland wa.?

there will be some differences as your engine looks to be a variant on the typical s195, the gear cover looks more
like a non counterbalance shaft engine such as the 175 series, so there might be some internal differences

there are two different head gaskets for the current production 195's one for the DI and another for the IDI engine, yours might
be even different that the newer ones?

if it were me, i might shy away from pulling the head until we get a look at the stud spacing to see if it is the same as the two available
gskts, as the head gskt is about the only gasket on can't make easily at home.  unless you are much more determined and better than i am.

same goes for piston rings, if there is a bore difference or ring width difference that might make finding replacements a bit of an adventure.
the old man over in bremerton that had the worlds largest supply of piston rings has long since passed away and no one knows what happened
to his ring stock.  he found me an oil control ring from a .040 oversize 1938 straight 8 buick that was an exact fit for an early 10hp aircooled
chinese diesel i have, but that was back in 2001.

do you have any idea how old your new baby is? if it is fairly new someone should have replacement parts, and i would expect most of the
consumables would swap from the changfa's and all the changfoids, like rings, pistons, liner, brgs and injector/pump parts.

you might just pull the injector and pump some oil into the cylinder, roll it over and lube it up good on top and leave well enough alone till you
have checked out the rest of the motor and got it running again. giving time to track down more info on this cool and mighty 195

i think you are going to love that engine, they are one tough little sonofabeech in my opinion.

let me know how to get ahold of you, if you are local we should get together, i have some head gskts we can crosscheck with your engine too.

just drop me a pm

bob g

Apogee

Well, I spent all of about 20 minutes messing with the beast today.

Definitely needs to come apart.

Exhaust valve is leaking when cranking over by hand.

Valves are VERY far out of adjustment.  About a 1/4" of lash (unless that's how they're supposed to be)...

One of the valve springs is rusty from water getting inside the valve cover.  Oil slime in the valve cover is a gray color from the moisture in it.  Not the crankcase oil, just inside the valve cover from condensation.

Starter works fine.

Injector pump is a B72-2 and is dated 12/87.

At this point, I THINK this unit was supplied by China Diesel.  Apparently they used to supply these exact engines with Winco heads, so I'm guessing that the complete unit was purchased from them.  I'm going to call them Monday to see.  Looks to me that their parts prices are very high unfortunately...

Any tricks to removing the injector?  It's VERY stuck...

Finally, how do I tell if it's direct or indirect injected?  Can anyone let me know by looking at the pics above?

Thanks,

Steve

Henry W

I don't see a wick type glow plug on the top of the head so it could be direct injected. But the engine is old so I am guessing.

Here are some ways to figure it out:

Direct Injected will have a thin pencil type injector nozzle. Indirect Injected will have a short stubby injector.

Another way to check is if you can put a 3/16" or 1/4" wooden dowel through the injector hole untill it stops. Keep pressure on the rod and then turn flywheel. if it moves you have a direct injected engine.

The best way is pull the head. If you have a dished piston and the head does not have a pre-chamber it is direct injected

Henry

Apogee

Other interesting tidbits:

It's radiator cooled but has NO water pump that I can find.  Looks like a cross between a hopper and radiator.  Like a mini thermo-siphon unit that simply cools more efficiently than a hopper design thanks to the fan.  Perhaps I missed the pump, but it wasn't obvious to my eye.  It's also interesting that the unit is 22 years old and the radiator is fine.  No leaks or repairs anywhere that I can find.

Whoever was attempting to get it to run cut the main fuel hose coming from the filters.  They also removed the return line from the injector at the injection pump.  Hence, the pump would be unable to generate suction since the other port at the pump inlet is vented to the atmosphere instead of having the return line hooked up.  You can see the open port on the left side of the dual banjo connector on the injection pump in the cylinder head pic that I posted. The white is mild corrosion on the threads from moisture; I'm guessing due to dissimilar metals.

Finally, based on the manufacturer name and what I can find on the web, it appears that it was built using prison labor.  Apparently the US Customs folks stopped them from being imported once they found out that they were being built by prisoners.  On the following link under China, check out item #5 under Detention Orders and item #1 further down under Findings:

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/trade/trade_outreach/convict_importations.xml

Based on it's history, I'm guessing that it's a fairly rare bird (at least here in the States).  I'm hoping S195 parts will fit...

Steve

Apogee

Just hung up the phone from China Diesel.

Nice folks!

According to Gabby their parts guy, all of the internal parts are the same as an S195.

The main difference is the head gasket.  

According to him, all mechanical parts including piston, sleeve, injector, injector pump, bearings, etc are all the same.

They want ~ $700 for a rebuild kit.

Cough...

At the beginning of the conversation he said they had a few parts for it left but it didn't sound like much.  When pushed further about specific items, he then acted like they had everything in stock.

The first person that I spoke with, Lorin, said the engine was a very good engine and almost never needed anything as they rarely ever broke.

Manual is $20 and they still have them, so I guess I'll start there.

Steve

Apogee

BTW, Bob I sent you a couple of PM's over the weekend.

Don't know if you saw them.

Steve

mobile_bob

just saw them,,  i guess i am either blind or slow!

probably both :)

let me know what is a good time, i live on a dead end street so turn arounds with a trailer can be tricky.
if during the day we can use my driveway, or i can stop by

either way is good with me,

bob g

Apogee

Sounds good Bob.  If I can ever quit working 6 days a week, 12 hrs a day, I might find the time to get back to this and a visit.

I did take an hour today and pulled the head off.

:(

The story that I was told was it had only been outside for ~ 3 months.  Bullsh!t!

The sleeve is pitted on the low side of the bore from water sitting and will need to be replaced...

Grrrr....

The whole thing will need to come apart.  Due to very limited time, it's now on the back burner...

One interesting thing is the cooling design.  Per the manual, it's convection cooled with the radiator and fan blowing through it.  It is a pressurized system but it doesn't have a water pump!  Pretty cool design actually.  I would surmise that it's also a good one because it's lived since the late 80's and hasn't leaked or seized.

I can't complain too much given what I paid for it, but I'm disappointed nonetheless.  I was hoping to do a valve job and have her back in action...  

Oh well...

That's the current update...

Steve

PS - I did manage to get the injector unstuck and it now rotates side to side.  Is there some trick to removing it?  I tried prying it out and it didn't want to budge.  I didn't want to chance breaking something without asking...  What is holding it in, hardened o-rings?  Any advice would be appreciated!  Thanks!