News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Interesting cooling system

Started by rbodell, April 03, 2010, 07:00:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbodell

Look at this "THING" between the engine and the gen head http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDFnF506Bdg

I assume it is for cooling. I guess the trickling water must pass off a lot more heat Than I would have ever guessed. It doesn't seem to have a big reservoir, but for somebody who takes their engine to shows where you are watching it, it would sure save a lot of space.
I am looking forward to senility,
you meet so many new friends
every day.

cgwymp

It's a percolator -- it makes electricity AND coffee!  ;-)
Listeroid 8/1

mobile_bob

he is only powering about a hundred watt bulb, maybe 200watts?

so maybe his perculator is enough to cool the engine? and make a very interesting focal point?

kinda got that "steampunk" thing going on!  :)

however i have to agree, its hard to imagine it cooling very much of a load.

bob g

PhillT

Quote from: rbodell on April 03, 2010, 07:00:36 AM
Look at this "THING" between the engine and the gen head http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDFnF506Bdg

I assume it is for cooling. I guess the trickling water must pass off a lot more heat Than I would have ever guessed. It doesn't seem to have a big reservoir, but for somebody who takes their engine to shows where you are watching it, it would sure save a lot of space.

Pausing the video on the close-up of the unit in question, close observation reveals the words "F.A. Sening Hamburg" cast into the side.
Googling F.A. Sening reveals that they are an engineering company, making products for petroleum handling, metering, flow control etc.
The last comment on the YouTube video has some interesting German words in it, "Das ist ein ehemaliges Schauglas eine Tankstelle"
As I have no clue about German, pasting the phrase into Google Translation gives the result "The sight glass is a former gas station"
This would strongly suggest that it is Fuel, not Water in the "Thing", and that it is in fact a Sight Glass from the side of a very old petrol or diesel pump as used in petrol (gas) stations a long time ago. I hope that sheds some light on it :-)

This forum seems like a great resource for gaining knowledge in fields I am interested in, so I hope I can give and get some good info.

Cheers,
Phill.
CS 3/1
Australia.

billswan

welcome aboard PhillT  ;D

billswan

16/1 Metro DI at work 900rpm and 7000watts

10/1 Omega in a state of failure

Wizard

What we are witnessing this perking fuel in the glass is in *fact* is a primitive carb.

This is called vaporizing carb.  That only works with white gas (no formulations added).

There are many ways to atomize the gas by stirrer (beat up the gas to make vapor), bubble through with pull of of air through it or this perking method.

Generator has too much end play, needs fixing, could account for the flicker as this engine is spinning around 900 rpm or so due to size of flywheel is small and I suspect engine could spin even faster.  Very smooth I can see.

Primitive vaporizing carbs requires lot of manual adjusting for different loads.  This is main reason for venturi action carb with emulsion devices and jets, throttle action were designed in order to work with varying loads like in vehicle and better load control in generator engines.

Cheers, Wizard

AdeV

Quote from: Wizard on June 03, 2010, 08:46:33 AM
What we are witnessing this perking fuel in the glass is in *fact* is a primitive carb.

Except.... this is a 2-stroke Diesel, no carburetter required. Also, given it's a diesel, the pipework around the glass device is far too big a bore for diesel use. Given the clear absence of any other watery bits, I can only conclude that it is, indeed, a cooling contraption. Obviously designed as a display piece, rather than a working engine, because it would surely boil that little amount of water very quickly.

It's a shame the camera operator spent so much time gazing at the lightbulb, and so little time giving a proper look around the engine. Hey ho...
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
Lister CS 6/1 with ST5
Lister JP4 looking for a purpose...
Looking for a Changfa in my life...

Wizard

rbodell

Quote from: Wizard on June 03, 2010, 08:46:33 AM
This is called vaporizing carb.  That only works with white gas (no formulations added).
Cheers, Wizard

I haven't found any junker engines that ran on gas yet. All I have found so far are diesel and therefore no carb. However I have not found any other junkers with this "thing" on them either. very Mysterious.
I am looking forward to senility,
you meet so many new friends
every day.

PhillT