News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Hopper cooling

Started by WGB, March 29, 2010, 11:24:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WGB

Anyone pull a radiator off a ChangFa type engine and put on a hopper?
If so can you give me some input?
Thanks

vdubnut62

No, but Walla Walla Xing Dong still has the hopper, will that help?
Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

Henry W

I believe any of the Changfa type horizontal single cylinder engines with the radiator can be changed with a hopper cooling system.

On the S195 most people get rid of hopper cooling and install a radiator from a small car.

With my S195 hopper cooled running a 7500 watt load it getts to be a pain filling the hopper every 45 min. It boils like a volcano is erupting and gets to be quite a mess.

Henry

vdubnut62

So does the Xing Dong 1100 I have. It is amazing,( to me! )  how the darn thing keeps running at the boiling point like it does!
After I shut it off, it still burbles and growls for a few seconds.
Henry, do you know the HP rating of the 195 off the top of your head?
Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

Henry W

It is rated for 12 Hp but it is an under rated engine I pulled over 8000 watts with it at times and it still had room to go on the fuel rack. The engine is a direct injected engine and I am running a ST-12 head with it. Running it that hard made the head gasket form steam and some droplets of water on the bottom of the head. Not good.  The test results are posted on the forum.

Henry

Henry W

mobile_bob

i took my hopper off my 195 and will never look back

not a bad solution for a butt simple when the crap hits the fan engine, but for anything more refined
i can't imagine using one.

the 195 is thermally limited there is only so much hp you can pull with the engine with a hopper cooling system
going to a plate, tstat, and water pump, along with a 7lb cap and 50/50 antifreeze allows the engine to make
significantly more hp than stock.

bob g

Henry W

I agree, The water needs to circulate in the head to get rid of hot spots when running the S195 hard. A presurized cooling system with a radiator and coolent makes lots of sense.

Henry

veggie

Quote from: WGB on March 29, 2010, 11:24:55 AM
Thanks

Hi WGB,

The units with radiators have an adapter plate which fits between the block and the radiator.
If you did want to go to a hopper type system, I think it's a simple matter of removing the rad, removing the adapter plate, and bolting on the hopper. (I am referring to the 195 engines. No experience with other sizes)

Hope that answers your original question.

Veggie

playdiesel

I just pulled the hopper off my 1115 and dont have any use for it as it is too small for a flower planter. Can get some dimentions if you have interest. Dont want much for it, may take a headlight in trade ;D LOL
Fume and smoke addict
electricly illiterate

WGB

Quote from: playdiesel on April 27, 2010, 06:51:07 AM
I just pulled the hopper off my 1115 and dont have any use for it as it is too small for a flower planter. Can get some dimentions if you have interest. Dont want much for it, may take a headlight in trade ;D LOL

I might take you up on that!
Man, I can't part with my headlight LOL
I'm sill working on the radiator system, I'll keep it in mind.
Thanks

OilCan

Quote from: WGB on March 29, 2010, 11:24:55 AM
Thanks

Take a look at my pix I posted yesterday in ST_STC Generator section of this forum.
See "OilCan's Gen Shack".  I made an adapter plate and ran coolant lines out to an
outside Honda zero pressure radiator.  Fitted a plumbing dielectric union to house the
NAPA 295 thermostat.

rcavictim

I pulled the hopper off my 1115 and have a 180F thermostat in a thermosiphon to a small early Honda Civic rad with 7 lb radcap.  I do not have enough blower derived airflow through this rad yet to run the engine at fulll power for any length of time. The other day during a test of fairly high power I noticed that the exhaust was just slightly visible grey for the first time I'd ever seen it other than clear.  I went into the generator room and with my IR thermometer immediately discovered that the water jacket where the T-stat plate is mounted was 225 dgrees F.  The exhaust manifold has a patch I spray painted flat black with stove paint for IR measurements.  It was a whopping 750 degrees!  Previously the hottest that manifold had ever been pushed was 550F.  The water system had only risen to 205 before also.  That beast was really working and taking it but the cooling system just could not keep up.  I had to load shed immediately to bring it back to safe radiator limits since it was on a climb.  A quick check of the oil pan under the engine showed it had reached 200 degrees, also much hotter than ever before.  Well I guess that drove off any accumulated moisture in the lube oil! ;)

Question.  How high has anyone else recorded the exhaust manifold temp on their Chinese diesel?  With an 8 kW load and 1800 RPM my Changfa reads ~530F at the midpoint along this short factory cast manifold.
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.