$300.00 worth of entertainment :o

Started by XYZER, March 28, 2010, 09:02:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XYZER

Well all this talk of Chinese and Japanese medium speed diesel at a good buy close to me sent me lookin today! Rainy days will get you in trouble! I pulled the trigger on the $350.00 Kubota and got it for $300.00. I have more questions about it now that I own it. Are parts available and where? I will start my search when I am done with this post. Here it is.

If anyone can tell me more about the model my search will be easier.

The Generator head works and is 1800 rpm but the hertz on each 110v leg is different. 60 on one and 43 on the other....the volts are OK. Speculation on that issue will be welcome. I was planning on putting a larger direct drive 1800 rpm head. The label is well worn but advise to junk it won't hurt my feelings.

Now for the cheap entertainment ;D I fired it up and put a 2000ish watt load on it and let it build some heat..

I sure am glad I didn't wander to far :o

Oh $hit   serious blow by! We ran it before I bought but didn't put a big long load on it.

Anyone have any speculation......I noticed oil on the frame when I was looking it over but didn't look real serious......It is hard to tell if the compression is OK it seemed to crank easy through compression but I contributed it to the reduction in the crank handle......It does run very well ,and starts easy . There are many things I need to check over when I have time...like the oil level. I have never owned one of these type diesels so any direction would be appreciated. I should have bought the new Chafunga >:( Oh and don't tell my wife or..........!!
Dave
Vidhata 6/1, Power Solutions 6/1, Kubota Z482

mobile_bob

are you sure the oil is not overfull?

the crankcase ventilator might be broken, or stuck open as well?

pretty cool engine

bob g

XYZER

Quote from: mobile_bob on March 28, 2010, 10:13:45 PM
are you sure the oil is not overfull?

the crankcase ventilator might be broken, or stuck open as well?

pretty cool engine

bob g

Bob
Not sure of anything yet! I will have to do some probing around and see if I can find the cause. It sure runs good! That was my first issue and time to quit and get ready for work.

wrightkiller

Good Find Dave ........Just Remember He Who Dies with The Most Toy's  WIN'S ;D ;D ;D

XYZER

I'm still trying to find any information on this thing.....If you know anything like the full model number I might know what I am looking for. I am to the toy point where I am begining to wonder about myself! Maybe there is federal funding out there for my disabilty?!!!! That would be a real find :P.....I already know what my wife and friends think!
Dave

Henry W

Hello Dave,

I am with Bob, check the crank case ventilator and see if it broke or stuck.

If it is ok and you think you need to have it re-ringed and you need help locating a Kubota dealer that can help you let me know. I have some good kubota dealers here that know how to look up misc parts that are not on tractors. All I need is a model and serial number.

Henry

Henry W

Dave the model and spec plate that has orange paint on needs to be carefully removed and that writing under it will be some help for us to help you.

Another thing is every Kubota engine has a serial number stamped someplace.
Look around on or near the sides of the mounting feet, near the cylinder, crank case, cover plate and ect.
There is one someplace.

Henry

XYZER

Henery,
Thanks for the info! The label has been torn off to show orange paint.....I wish it was overspray! I will check the crancase vent first thing it didn't act like blowby but was sure puking oil....I will check oil level also. One thing I did notice in the pic with the oil fill the label above it is worn from maybe lots of oil being added....maybe....Thanks again!
Dave

mike90045

Quote from: XYZER on March 29, 2010, 11:18:20 AM
oil fill the label above it is worn from maybe lots of oil being added....maybe....Thanks again!
Dave

Not good oil if it's showing wear marks on the label..... ;D

Henry W

Hello Dave,

Your right the label is torn.

Try looking for a serial number stamped someplace on the block.

Don't give up hope. :)

Henry

Shipo

Dave,

What you have is a EA500-NB, search google for "Kubota EA500-NB"..here is the Manual ...

http://www.jensales.com/product_list.aspx?make=KUBOTA&model=EA500-NB

Good Luck
Changfa 195/10kw
Changfa 170R/3Kw
Onan 6.0DJE-3CE
Yanmar TS-105C/Winco 5.3KW

XYZER

Shipo,
My Hero!.... I did pull the breather and did a look over. Could not find a problem there. I need to find new fuel lines. The old ones did not like coming apart.
Thanks again Shipo!
Dave

XYZER

Update...
Thanks to shipo I have the correct parts and service manual on it's way. I have also learned the oil puking ceases if the oil is 1/2 up on the dipstick. The cart someone made tends to make it set with the head downhill and that may contribute to the pumping of oil out the breather. I did a couple of test runs and watched how it behaved. It seemed to build up a oil in the breather and then just puke a bunch then quit for a bit. Blowby would tend to be continous not intermintent. I ran it for an hour tonight and no puke with the oil at the half mark. It sure is a good runner! Starts easy with the crank! Now that I have run it for some time I see the crank handle shaft has a weaping seal and what I think may be the counterbalance chain adjuster (if it has one) also leaks oil. When I get my manual I will know more how to fix these issues. I am in the search fo a generator head and am thinking of going for a ST 7.5kw belt drive. I would perfer a lighter head but haven't found one yet. I would like to do a direct drive but 1800rpm might might not have enough grunt. It sure runs and sounds good at 2400. Anybody have a good guess of HP at 1800rpm (12@2400) and how many KW it coud handle? A direct drive would make an easy add for a nice 12v alternator I have.   

prof.blink

xyzer,the gen in picture is an old Dayton brand ,sold in granger. blink

XYZER

Blink,
Thanks! I might still use the generator head if it will run my 1/2hp submersable pump at the ranch. The head has an issue with the hertz. 60ish on one side and 40 on the other. It will run heaters and lights ok. I am trying to keep it as light and small as possable. I will also add a 160 amp 12volt alternator to charge my battery bank. The hertz thing has me puzzeled???? Do you think 4000watts will start and run a 1/2hp?
Dave