News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Just getting started

Started by Jedon, September 21, 2009, 12:55:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T19

Quote from: Sodbust on September 21, 2009, 05:29:58 PM
Got to start somewhere,, and if its cooling ,, it works..

I will tell you this from my mistakes.. All 3 of my Lister's are mounted on heavy I-beam,, or channel iron frames with the radiator mounts welded to the main frame,, as an upright.  Well no matter how much iron,, there is a constant shaking going on that works on the old car radiators I'm using.

My plans are is to make a self supporting stand alone radiator stand,, and allow the rubber coolant hoses to cancel the engine vibes to add some life to the radiator cores..

Sure glad a few true Lister nuts went to the effort to get this all set up for us..

Sodbust

You mean like this??

I found a wheel mounted display rack, nice and heavy duty, put the fuel there and the Fan and Radiator and use the Rubber hoses to cancel out the harsh vibrations.. sits nice and smooth and I can direct heat to the fuel in the winter to warm it up at -30C

BTW the new fuel system I have is great, no loss of prime, nice and tight, no spill or leaks and the flow is great for starting

Jedon

Ahhh you mounted your ST-5 on the exhaust side, probably a better idea but doesn't work well with my shed configuration. I think I'm going to mount the radiator on the 2x6 studs on the wall and put a couple small 12v fans back there powered by a computer power supply.
I haven't gotten into the fuel supply issue yet, I imagine that will become pressing after I get it running well.

Jedon

Well I got the radiator hooked up with 1" heater hose which works much better than the 4/3" steel pipe. I ran wire from the ST-5 to to a breaker box with two 50A breakers and from there to the AC inputs on my two Xantrex 5548's.  The good news is it works! I set it for 15A from each pole so about 3600W and it was charging the batteries for about 2 minutes before the shaking vibrated the belt off the ST-5. The whole setup had moved a couple feet, wanted to go for a walk I guess. Soooo I guess the idea of mounting on 6x8's for now didn't really work out, I will pour concrete for it in spring but right now just want to get it up and running. I was thinking of drilling through the 6x8's and the 4" concrete slab and pounding some large rebar 4' down to hold it in place? Any suggestions?
How much deflection should I have on the belt from the engine to the generator head?
Thanks!
-Jedon
PS I'll take pics and video this evening.

Jedon

When I was working on the foundation for my house I drilled holes in the footings, dropped all thread in the hole and then used epoxy on it. Would the same thing work for the Lister mount? What are the anchors you speak of?
Thanks!!
-Jedon

Jedon

Jedon

Okay I got 6 "redheads" as the hardware store called them and a 4ft section of 1/2" allthread along with 12 washers, 6 nuts and 6 lock washers.
Now I seem to have some decisions to make and I could really use some sage advice.
1. Bolt the engine right to the floor, no other metal or wood or anything
2. Leave the engine on it's wooden + angle iron mount and bolt the whole thing to the floor.
3. #2 but keep the rubber cow mat between the wood mount and the floor.
4. Make a new I beam mount and bolt that to the floor.
5. Pour a concrete block on top of the slab ( rebarred to the existing slab ).
6. Jackhammer out a section of the slab and pour a block the right way.

Option 2 or 3 is easiest since I already have the ST-5 mounted ( ish, needs work ).

I don't have much time or money right now and winter is coming so those are factors!
Thanks!!
-Jedon

Jedon

Jedon

Good to know about the redhead anchors!
What would be the advantage of making a rim around the frame instead of just bolting all the way through the 6x8's and rubber mat?

T19

You might want to consider 3 inch deep seismic anchors.  I just finished building the new Operations Center for the CF and we had to make sure it would survive an earthquake... yeah in Ottawa on the Canadian Shield no less.

Anyways We had used the drop in types that opened up.  The Engineer we hired said they were great for a steady state load, but one that was moving (vibrating) would tear them out.  The bolts we ended up using are tested to hold during horizontal and vertical stresses.  I believe they are $9 Cdn each.. but sure work great  Just ask to make sure they meet US seismic standards... Canada does not have any, but we are adopting US standards in 2010

cheers

andrew

Sodbust

Been gone for some time.. so a little late getting back.

Yes,, that is how all my radiators are mounted,, but with heaver angle iron or sq tubing. 

So how stable is your set up? 

Sodbust

vdubnut62

Well. Hello from Tennessee, Magic Jack. Hope you got everything dried in in time for winter!
Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous