News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Nissan SD22

Started by akghound, March 19, 2010, 02:20:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

akghound

I'm looking at replacing my generator engine with a Nissan SD22 diesel engine. Mid 80's?? This is a junkyard takeout that was running at the time it was taken out of the truck. It is all there except for the starter. Still had oil in it that was BLACK-BLACK. Could not turn it by hand and didn't try a wrench yet.
Asking price is $150
I'll be using it to power a 12kw generator.
Do any of you guys know anything about these engines?
Are they any good or are they crap?
Ken Gardner
One Day At A Time 
2000 F450 7.3 Powerstroke / Home Built WVO conversion
96 Dodge Cummins 2500 4x4 / Homebuilt WVO conversion
Listeroid Generator on used ATF
Living off grid

EBI-WPO

Hello AK,
I have an SD25 transplanted into my 87 Nissan Hardbody. It is slightly larger in displacement and has 5 main bearings instead of 3 (like the SD 22). They are both stout, linered, very reliable engines. Ask more if need be and refer to this site for most anything you could ask.
http://nissandiesel.dyndns.org/viewforum.php?f=4

Terry
To have B.S. aimed at you is an insult to your intelligence......To have B.S. spread about you is an insult to your character.....Neither should be tolerated willingly.   EBI-WPO 2010

mobile_bob

that little engine is probably the best little 4 cylinder diesel ever made, at least during its years of production.

they just seem to go, and go, and go...   and go

i really don't know what you have to do to kill one.

years ago, i went to work for a company that gave me an 81 datsun 3/4 ton pickup to drive back and forth to work
it had 186k miles on the clock and was in bad need of service.
the fuel filters had never been changed, the air filter would not come out of the housing, being packed in tight with dirt
i ended up removing the housing and all piping and beating on it with a rubber mallet to get it out and steam clean out.

the truck picked up 5 mpg after that service

i quit driving it at ~335k miles and it was still going like the energizer bunny

it had been run out of water once, blew a head gasket, resurfaced the head and put it back together, apart from that
there was never an engine problem with that truck.

bob g

TimSR2

Indestructible  engine. I have seen units with 300,000 miles on the original valves and injectors and  pump. At about 48 hp they were pretty marginal for a road engine. Gutless, gutless gutless! But they got  50 mpg!

vdubnut62

If you buy the little darlin' I have a complete one for parts-minus the starter and throttlebody thingy. Came out of a 81 datsun pickup. It's been out in the weather for a few years so I do not think the entire engine is salvagable, but it's free to a good home.
To kill one all you have to do is give it to a 16 year old boy, he was too busy driving to check the oil!
Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

rcavictim

I have a 1985 Nissan Sentra with a CD-17 , 1681 cc diesel and manual transmission at the roadside with a for sale sign on it for $200.  If someone who is a member here wants it, they can have it free for the taking.  Act quickly!  I might be yanking the radiator however since I need one for a project.  The engine ran fine when last driven about 6 years ago. It had one cylinder with low compression.  One rear wheel is frozen from sitting and both rear tires are flat on the bottom side.
Location is near Shelburne, about 75 minutes NW of Toronto.  I'll throw in a complete factory service manual for frEE.
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

Henry W

The SD22 engine are great! Industructable as everyone said here. I believe the engine came with an inline injector pump. They are much easier and cheaper to have them serviced. I was given a band new 1981 Datsun pickup at a Datsun dealership that I worked at to deliver parts. All the mechanics made fun of it. Probably the reason was they never saw one and they did not know how to work on them. But that engine never saw service except  for oil changes and filters since I drove it. I beat the crap out of it and it just kept running.

Henry

vdubnut62

Yes they had an inline pump that was pneumatically controlled. they had a throttle body with a butterfly and vacuum lines to work the pump
Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

M61hops

The company I work for had a long bed Nissan PU with one of these engines mated to a 5 speed trans. in it. It was in the miotor pool fleet and it was a bit slow but I liked driving it.  Most people avoided it due to it's lack of power.  As I recall it didn't get that good of fuel economy maybe 22 or 25 MPG at best.  Also a girlfriend had a 1980 VW rabbit diesel with a 4 speed trans. and it only got around 36 MPG on the highway.  These are the only 2 diesels I ever drove much and I have to wonder if most people get that good of fuel economy out of small diesel vehicles?  The Nissan had a small electronic black box that controlled a lever on the injection pump, it controlled a little gear reduction motor that moved the lever to Stop, Run or a fuel rich Start position from current supplied by the standard ignition switch.  The box failed so that the little motor just ran around and around all the time which kept the engine from starting.  Since Nissan wanted over $900 for the black box I threw it away and put 2 toggle switches on the dash, one double throw for Stop and Run and a momentary contact switch you had to hold down while the engine was cranking for a rich Start when the engine was cold.  Worked great for me but what with the glow plug delay light and all was just too complicated for most people to drive.  At least there was always one truck available for me sitting in the motor pool at all times  ;D !  The truck got sold for $400 a few years later with 235,000 miles on the odometer.  I sort of wish I had it now for a veg oil conversion  :( ?  Thinking about why I liked driving it, I guess it was because it had low power I would make a game of conserving momentum and road speed  ;D, I drive like that anyway but in that vehicle it really paid off in average speed and gear changes!  The vacume/butterfly and electronic box systems struck me as over complicating a simple engine but were required for California emissions rules.   Just my $.015 worth!    Leland

akghound

Well a little bad news. The head is cracked.
I have shopped around this neck of the woods and can't seem to chase one out of the brush, or anywhere else.
I sent pictures to a shop in Spokane that specializes in welding cast-iron heads but haven't heard back from him yet.
Right now it looks like I need to find another engine.
Ken Gardner
One Day At A Time 
Living off grid

vdubnut62

Ken, for real you can have any part for free. Shipping charges only. Shoot I could prob get the pump & stuff related to it in a USPS flat rate box, but pretty sure the head would have to ship UPS or FED-EX. I'll grab a pic to make sure we are on the same page next time I'm up at the farm.
Ron

akghound

Ron ... I sent you a PM accepting your offer.
You are quite generous and I do appreciate it.
Thank You
Ken Gardner
One Day At A Time 
Living off grid

vdubnut62

Glad to help. I'd much rather you get some use from it than see it go for scrap iron!
Ron

elnav

FWIW department. I had a 1982 Datsun diesel  with  a SD22 I believe. Ran it hard until  1987 when the body rusted out but engiine still going strong. Finally gave engine to  a friend for off grid use.
Replaced that truck with a Dodge D50 also sold under the Mitsubizhi (sp) brand.  At after some 250,000 plus miles cracked the aluminum head.  Dealer wanted $2500 for replacement head casting and that did not include valve guides tec.  The a mechanic friend told me about a refurb shop in Montreal who specialized  in  cracked head repairs for general aviation engines.  Cost me $700 and took a week return. Drove that engine another 100,000  before that body rusted out.  The repair shop was located in Montreal somewhere north of Dorval airport.  I would think several such  air craft engine shops exist around the continent.   

rcavictim

Adding to the FWIW Department.  Apparently for $14.68 I can buy a brand new cast iron head for my Changfa 1115 engine!  I do use a 4-cyl VW diesel engine in my main power plant for now but I won't be spending $2k plus to re and re that engine when it's time has come,  I'll go get a Changfa 1115 engine and replace the aluminum head in-line four with something that is cheaper, more fuel efficient, and a lot easier to totally rebuild.

<http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/264366758/cylinder_head_fro_diesel_engine.html?pn=1&pt=10&newId=264366758&cids=200220512,200698827,200001602,200517413,200265184,50081029,200430093,50024483,200081192,200519795,50037993,200716472,50034687,200000932,200176601,200275390,50001620,200602146,50140107,200217019,200494054,50029833,50044767,200211283,200569002,200176294,50146524,50023760,200520353,200288044,200187026,200284314,200310222,200295001,200015009,200216038,200617143,200009329#page960>
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.