News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

V-belt alternatives

Started by AdeV, September 28, 2009, 07:19:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AdeV

A little while back, someone mentioned a v-belt alternative called "Powertwist", from Fenner Drives.

Linkety link: http://www.fennerdrives.com/high_performance_composite_vbelts/hpc_vbelts.asp

Has anyone tried these, and how do they perform compared to a traditional v-belt? Better than a serpentine, or worse?

I'm considering using one when I eventually get a Round Tuit in respect of my Lister CS cogen plant.
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
Lister CS 6/1 with ST5
Lister JP4 looking for a purpose...
Looking for a Changfa in my life...

mobile_bob

this belt design has been around for a number of years, and some folks swear by them
they reportedly run smoother than a v belt on machine tools

what i don't know is how they compare with drive efficiency vs standard V belts

i have never used these belts but have considered them seriously.

if you decide to give them a try let us know how you like them.

bob g

lowspeedlife

Yes they have been around for better than 20 years & do run a little smoother, but I always thought the big selling point was to be able to replace a belt on equiptment  with a pulley trapped between the prime mover & driven equiptment on a direct coupled unit. Like in picture #4 of this E-bay listing.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lister-Diesel-CE-Twin-Post-Office-Generating-Set_W0QQitemZ130327594804QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_BOI_FarmingEquipment_RL?hash=item1e58214734&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
Old Iron For A New Age

lowspeedlife

Thats because they run smoother, & I don't know why either.
   Scott R.
Old Iron For A New Age

AdeV

According to the website, "PowerTwist Plus, NuTLink and SuperTLink do not incorporate continuous tension cords as found in conventional V-belts. As a result, transmitted vibration in the drive system can be reduced by 50% or more. System noise is consequently reduced and, as a bonus, bearing life extended."

So I guess they mean that in a normal V-belt, vibrations are transmitted through the whole belt via the tension cords, but their belts don't have a "whole belt" contstruction, so vibration is isolated at the link which experiences it.

Of course, that could be a load of hairy testicles....  ::)
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
Lister CS 6/1 with ST5

lowspeedlife

sounds good to me, & I learned something new to day. wonder it I can get one for my Southbend Heavy Ten?

Scott R.
Old Iron For A New Age

AdeV

Quote from: lowspeedlife on September 28, 2009, 06:05:18 PM
sounds good to me, & I learned something new to day. wonder it I can get one for my Southbend Heavy Ten?

Scott R.

Scott - go to http://shop.fennerdrives.com; it seems to cover most places in the world. There may be cheaper places to get it, so I guess Google will be your friend as well.
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
Lister CS 6/1 with ST5

Henry W

I used one of those on my old table saw and it does cut the vibration down noticeibly. Used it for 10 years and it was still good untill I sold the saw.

The hooks on the links do wear though. But I never broke a link.

I still like a good high quality belt over them.

I guess I just don't like the looks of a link belt. :)

Henry

veggie

You guys are missing the biggest advantage of all with these powertwist belts.....

They come in a variety of colors so you can color coordinate with your chosen paint scheme  :D

Veggie

Henry W

You mean they come in a variety of Colors and Flavors like Lifesavers?  ;D

Henry

BruceM

I use the link type belts on many of my stationary tools, they are great at reducing vibration from the motor to the tool.  There is no longitudinal reinforcement of the link belt, so they are "softer".

It my very fuzzy memory, I recall that they cannot be used on gas engines, only electric, because they can't handle the power pulses. 

Bruce M

Henry W

That makes sense. We need to find out. Those belts are not cheap and I hate to see people wasting there money.

Henry

lowspeedlife

Quote from: Jens on September 28, 2009, 06:24:18 PM
I have only ever seen one South Bend in person and you pretty much HAD to use one of those belts. Either that or take the headstock apart.
And yes, a friend reported significant surface improvement by using this belt. Now an interesting related question - this surface improvement was with a single phase motor which causes vibration. A three phase motor will get you better surface finish because it runs smoother. Will you get better surface finish with this belt even if you run three phase power ?

Interesting stuff ......

Jens
Jens,
the head stock is driven by a 2 inch wide flat belt, but  the lower cone pulley is driven by a "v" belt that is on a standard pulley on the motor & a flat pulley on the cone pulley drive. So thinking about it I most likely can't use one because the flat pulley is driven by the flat on the bottom of the "v" belt.   

Scott R.
Old Iron For A New Age

Dualfuel

I brought home a roll of this stuff from Iraq. I have had it on the water pump drive of my Farmall H for six years with no signs of wearing out. I highly reccommend this stuff for use in the field. You can assemble this belt without removing other components. Remember having to keep pantyhose in your tool box to use in case you blew your generator belt on the Beetle? Well this stuff is for the same purpose but will last MUCH longer.
DF