READY TO BUY A 1115 23HP CHANGFA, HELP PLEASE?

Started by Bluecometk, March 11, 2010, 05:57:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bluecometk

So this is where everybody has gone.

Hello To eveybody, I am new to this board but a refuge from the Lister engine forum. I posted this question on the other board and received no answers at all.Its pretty quiet over there.

I have been looking at Carol Stream motor company for a Changfa 1115 23hp diesel. Does anybody have any experience with them or this engine?

Can the Changfa/clone be run out of the box or will it need the usual preps before first smoke?

The ad shows the engine with what looks to be a belt driven fan in the side of the hopper. That sort of scares me a little. They also have one on ebay that doesn't mention the fan, it just says hopper cooled for 949+ 149 shipping.

So anyone got any Ideas, thoughts other places to purchase?

I was waiting on word of a proven Redstone to make a purchase but I cant wait any longer.

I appreciate any info you may have or knowledge you can share

Thank You In Advance

Bluecometk

Bluecometk

mobile_bob

welcome aboard Blue  :)

there aren't very many folks selling engine's these days, so if the one you are looking at fits you needs you probably ought to jump on it.

i would lose the radiator, fan and belt driven water pump, same for the fuel tank

make up a top plate with tstat, and in my opinion use a bosch auxilliary electric heater pump, and a remote radiator.
the engines seem to like 200 degree water and can handle a 7lb rad cap no problem.

as for quality, they all have some issue or other it seems, so maybe take it down a bit to check things, mostly loose bolts.

bob g

Shipo

Just remember that Changfa is not an engine type, it just a brand....and happens that   Changfa brand makes the  best quality 1 cyl diesel engine clone in china.

and like bod g said make sure the engine it is clean and clear of any loose nut.

good luck...
Changfa 195/10kw
Changfa 170R/3Kw
Onan 6.0DJE-3CE
Yanmar TS-105C/Winco 5.3KW

veggie

Sorry Bob, but I have to come to the defense of the radiators ;)
If the user is not initially building a CHP system, then I think the radiator has merit.
I do agree that the make of the engine is important, so there may be a lot of difference between brands when it comes to radiators.
My Changfa radiators have stood up fine so far. Upon removal and inspection, I found they are built quite tough.
IMHO...If the rad satisfies the users current needs, then why go to the trouble of making a plate, thermostat, piping, pump, and remote radiator.?

veggie

mobile_bob

they all look fine till they quit

the thing is, in my opinion, and ymmv

there is not enough coolant capacity with the oem system to afford any sort of leak
and you might be lulled into complacency because it is working fine as is, and then just when you need
it most or when your back is turned it develops a leak and you got problems.

in all fairness though, i guess it depends on the users intended use
if it is only to be used as a standby unit, needs to be portable, and only going to be used for a few hours
a year, maybe you take the chance on using the oem setup?

i am just saying i wouldn't, not for something that i have to walk away from and leave running unattended.

but that is just me, and i am somewhat distrustful of things like radiators and fans being hard mounted to an engine.

bob g

playdiesel

Hello guys, I am a motorhead from way back but new here and to China diesels

I just purchased the last  1115 that Carrol Stream had in stock. Not sure who builds them but my manual says Changfa Mfg.  Mine was very clean inside but had obviously been sitting a LONG time. I filled a pumper can with oil and sprayed down the crank and balancer shaft bearings and the connecting rod before I put the cover back on. I hand cranked it with compression released until I had oil pressure and fired it up no problems other than the fuel shut off is bass ackwards, (at least to me it is, handle in line with the fuel line is off, cross wise is on???) and I had to reprime it due to me havingthe fuel shutt off. Found enough loose bolts in my pre-run inspection that I will remove the gear cover before it runs again as recomended in the sticky.
A note about availability,
I picked my engine up at the warehouse and Anthony was very non-committal to any new water cooled engines being available through them, wouldnt say yes, wouldnt say no. There is a couple engines on the shelf that have had some parts removed. A fellow with lots of engines or parts might get a bargain?
Fume and smoke addict
electricly illiterate

Henry W

Quote from: Bluecometk on March 11, 2010, 05:57:14 PM
So this is where everybody has gone.

Hello To eveybody, I am new to this board but a refuge from the Lister engine forum. I posted this question on the other board and received no answers at all.Its pretty quiet over there.

I have been looking at Carol Stream motor company for a Changfa 1115 23hp diesel. Does anybody have any experience with them or this engine?

Can the Changfa/clone be run out of the box or will it need the usual preps before first smoke?

The ad shows the engine with what looks to be a belt driven fan in the side of the hopper. That sort of scares me a little. They also have one on ebay that doesn't mention the fan, it just says hopper cooled for 949+ 149 shipping.

So anyone got any Ideas, thoughts other places to purchase?

I was waiting on word of a proven Redstone to make a purchase but I cant wait any longer.

I appreciate any info you may have or knowledge you can share

Thank You In Advance

Bluecometk

Hello Blue,

Welcome aboard.
When you get one of these engines please check it out as Bob G recomended. It could save you lots of headaches.

Please read the very first topic titled:    Preperation before putting Changfa type engines in service.
Here it is: http://www.microcogen.info/index.php?topic=285.0

It will help you what to look for so problems can be corrected if there are any. It does not take long to go through one of these engines and taking a little extra time making sure things are right before starting it can save the engine.

Just because the engine says Changfa does not mean it is excluded to improper assembly. Some people had good luck running it right out of the box but I feel why take a chance.

Henry

rcavictim

Quote from: playdiesel on April 01, 2010, 07:51:29 AM
Hello guys, I am a motorhead from way back but new here and to China diesels

I just purchased the last  1115 that Carrol Stream had in stock.  no problems other than the fuel shut off is bass ackwards, (at least to me it is, handle in line with the fuel line is off, cross wise is on???) and I had to reprime it due to me havingthe fuel shutt off.

My Changfa 1115 has the same bass ackwards fuel shutoff ball valve.  Someone there clearly doesn't know about the Global Convention on this type of valve control.  Had me confused too!

Congrats on getting a 1115.  I am very impressed with mine.  Lots of power.  Easy to start.  Am I to understand that Carrol Stream will not be bringing any more of these 1115's in?  That would be a real shame.  I'd really like to acquire a second as a backup.

I am almost finished building my vertically oriented (stacked) plant based on a STC 24 kW head and Changfa 1115 engine.  Just trying to deal with the cooling system now.  The first rad I obtained made a very impressive sprinkler system in my shop when the pressure built up.  >:(  I was quite annoyed because I had gone to a lot of effort and some expense making a new angle iron frame for it, changing pipe barbs and painting it all up nice.  I wasted $30 just for spray paint and ColdWeld compound.  Now I know what the expression means, "to polish a turd".   :(
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

playdiesel

RE: Carrol Stream

I dont know about any more new ones. Anthony is a decent guy and showed me around a bit and said they are expecting a shipment any day of engines but when I asked about the water cooled diesels he changed the subject real fast. It's my understanding that they are not legal to import same as Listeroids? Like I said, he didnt say no, but he didnt say yes. They did have the smaller water/radiator cooled 12HP (I think 12?) in stock but not very many 2-3 at the most and a boat load of the smaller air cooled diesels.  When I bought my 1115 on Friday he had 1 hopper and one radiator. When I picked mine up on Tueday he had none. There is one 1115 on the shelf that they removed a part from for a customer, I think the injection pump. Id bet it could be bought reasonable. They also have a sister Co next door with parts, how many I dont have a clue but Anthony said they fill most orders from stock.

On to my 1115
I took the gear cover off mine today and glad I did. One of the balancer shaft gear bolts was just a bit less tight than I would like to have seen it but not loose.  I removed and locktighted both balance shaft gear bolts and the governor ball cage. Other than the one lose bolt the fit and finish work inside of the 1115 impresses me, sure dont look Chinese in there. Only thing that dissapointed me was no headlight ;D LOL.

Mine will be running a 10-12k ST head direct and be used for storm back up at home and prime power at my farm.
Fume and smoke addict
electricly illiterate

mobile_bob

if you want the ultra rare super duper headlight option, let me know
i might part with one if the price is right!

(like maybe, you pay the freight)  :)

that is if i didn't throw that crap away

bob g

Henry W

Quote from: playdiesel on April 01, 2010, 07:00:15 PM
RE: Carrol Stream

I dont know about any more new ones. Anthony is a decent guy and showed me around a bit and said they are expecting a shipment any day of engines but when I asked about the water cooled diesels he changed the subject real fast. It's my understanding that they are not legal to import same as Listeroids? Like I said, he didnt say no, but he didnt say yes. They did have the smaller water/radiator cooled 12HP (I think 12?) in stock but not very many 2-3 at the most and a boat load of the smaller air cooled diesels.  When I bought my 1115 on Friday he had 1 hopper and one radiator. When I picked mine up on Tueday he had none. There is one 1115 on the shelf that they removed a part from for a customer, I think the injection pump. Id bet it could be bought reasonable. They also have a sister Co next door with parts, how many I dont have a clue but Anthony said they fill most orders from stock.

On to my 1115
I took the gear cover off mine today and glad I did. One of the balancer shaft gear bolts was just a bit less tight than I would like to have seen it but not loose.  I removed and locktighted both balance shaft gear bolts and the governor ball cage. Other than the one lose bolt the fit and finish work inside of the 1115 impresses me, sure dont look Chinese in there. Only thing that dissapointed me was no headlight ;D LOL.

Mine will be running a 10-12k ST head direct and be used for storm back up at home and prime power at my farm.

That is why I posted  Preperation before putting Changfa type engines in service on the very top of the Changfa/Redstone/Chinese diesels forum.

I felt it is one of the most important things to do before you start the engine. And it looks like you saved your engine from a hemorrhage. Good work!!

Henry

rcavictim

Quote from: playdiesel on April 01, 2010, 07:00:15 PM

Playdiesel,

The 1115 can apparently power a 12 kW head to full oats at 1800 RPM.  At least mine looks like it will and that is even with belt drive.  I've had mine up to 10 kW on test and the exhaust was absolutely colorless.  Based on that I don't see 12 kW as a problem at all.  Direct drive would eek out slightly more, although I didn't fool around.  My 4-groove pulleys are both large 9" diameter and I have a four B-common back belt on them.

If you haven't purchased a head yet have a look at getting a bigger one than 12 kW. I wouldn't go any smaller than a 15 kW and from what I just learned through buying a pair of 24kW STC 3-phase, 480 volt, 12 wire heads with AVR from Thomas Osborne, the 3-phase makes much better power than the single phase ST heads. The sinewave is very clean. The 12 wire gives you every voltage option you'd ever need including single phase 120-0-120.

As for windage losses driving such a large head?  No problem.  These spin ultra easy.
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

playdiesel

Thanks for the tips on the gen head I will check it out.  Quite frankly the electrical end of the deal bores me as I am a motorhead pure and simple. If I could run the household from a linehaft,,,  ::)

This whole slow speed diesel addiction came upon me very recently after being lead to investigate ST type generator heads from another forum by one of your own members. I was looking to build a PTO powered set up to be powered by one of our 15 antique tractors, saw a  Listeroid, watched a U-tube clip, fell in love and off I go into another hobby.  I have a DES 8/1 Listeroid on order but this Changfa with the extra HP when needed may end up being the workhorse. I can build about whatever I need to assemble my unit as I own a lathe big enough to swing the 1115 whole and a milling machine.

Guess I have run this thread far enough off topic eh?
Fume and smoke addict
electricly illiterate

bschwartz

"Guess I have run this thread far enough off topic eh?"

Playdiesel!!! You are the first one to ever run off topic in this forum.

Don't ever let it happen again.   ;)
- Brett

Metro 6/1, ST-5 - sold :(
1982 300SD
1995 Suburban 6.5 TD
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 TD
1950s ? Oilwell (Witte) CD-12 (Behemoth), ST-12
What else can I run on WVO?
...Oh, and an old R-170

Bluecometk

Well thank you all for the info. I have been away for a while and I missed the last hopper-cooled engine sold by C.S by a day. I then tried to purchase the last radiator cooled engine they had but was told it was missing an injector that was used for another customer and was taken out /off of stock and shelved. I then inquired about that same engine and its future sale but have not received and answer. It's been quite a few days since the last return correspondence from them.

Anybody know of any other engine suppliers with this type engine Changfa 1115 23+ HP for sale in that same 1000+- range?

Thank you again

Bluecometk
Bluecometk