News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

how do I remove cosmoline

Started by rbodell, March 08, 2010, 11:08:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbodell

Does anybody know what will remove cosmoline (or however you spell it)?
I am looking forward to senility,
you meet so many new friends
every day.

XYZER

scrape off the bulk then use solvent (or try diesel)
Vidhata 6/1, Power Solutions 6/1, Kubota Z482

mobile_bob

we use clean solvent, such as used in those tanks in truck shops

other alternatives,

if it was a big casting, we put it in the hot tank, let it melt off, and then pressure wash

gasoline albeit not very safe for obvious reasons will cut cosmo also, and iirc was the solvent of choice back
in the day for cleaning off the stuff.

bob g

rbodell

Quote from: Jens on March 08, 2010, 11:45:12 AM
elbow grease and plenty of paper towels  :( 
So, what did you buy ?????

I know the paper towels won't do it. they just tear up.

I have had a 140 amp, 30 or 36 volt PMDC motor setting on the shelf for about 6 or 8 years that I got from surpluscenter.com. I bought it because it was cool. I finally decided to try to build something from it, maybe a DC generator or DC welder. Not sure what yet. It appears to be military or aircraft because all the bolts are wired.

It was originally made by the Electric Auto-Lite company but they were bought out by somebody else so there is no company to call for information. It looks like it should outlast me though LOL
every day.

rbodell

Quote from: mobile_bob on March 08, 2010, 12:04:28 PM
we use clean solvent, such as used in those tanks in truck shops

Wouldn't have a brand name on that would you?

gasoline albeit not very safe for obvious reasons will cut cosmo also, and iirc was the solvent of choice back
in the day for cleaning off the stuff.

Not familiar with IIRC either. I thought about gasoline too, but I am saving that for the last resort. When I was a kid I burned down the garage cleaning the bearings in my bicycle with gasoline. I kind of stay away from gasoline for anything but fuel since then LOL.

Also thanks (ABOVE) for the diesel fuel suggestion. I will try that.

bob g
every day.

Henry W

Try your shirt :)

Just kidding.

Try Mineral Spirts. You can get it at any hardware store, Home Depot or Lowes Home Improvement.

Henry

rbodell

Quote from: Jens on March 08, 2010, 03:29:45 PM
Are you sure we are talking cosmoline and not some bizarre aircraft grade bullet proof and radar stealth kinda coating ? Cosmoline is a fairly soft substance although sticky as hell ....
I am pretty sure it's cosmoline, I can easily scrape it with my fingernail but it is about as sticky as the goo on masking tape after it has been in the rain and sun for a week. I first tried some go-jo to see if it was a grease, but that didn't even touch it.
every day.

Lloyd

try Goof-Off...it does wonders on most hings, with out damage to the surface below...just don't let sit for long periods.

Lloyd
JUST REMEMBER..it doesn't matter what came first, as long as you got chickens & eggs.
Semantics is for sitting around the fire drinking stumpblaster, as long as noone is belligerent.
The Devil is in the details, ignore the details, and you create the Devil's playground.

Lloyd

Cosmoline is a homogenous mixture of oily and waxy
long-chain, non-polar hydrocarbons. It can range in color from white to yellow and differ
from one another in consistency and shear strength. Cosmoline melts at 113°-125° F
and has a flashpoint of 365° F.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting/cosmoline/pdf/cosmoline.pdf

Maybe, this will help.

Lloyd
JUST REMEMBER..it doesn't matter what came first, as long as you got chickens & eggs.
Semantics is for sitting around the fire drinking stumpblaster, as long as noone is belligerent.
The Devil is in the details, ignore the details, and you create the Devil's playground.

BruceM

Wow, that's the definitive Cosmoline removal link, Lloyd. Nice!

rbodell

Quote from: Lloyd on March 09, 2010, 08:15:46 AM
Cosmoline melts at 113°-125° F
and has a flashpoint of 365° F.
Lloyd

Man did that work good. A little heat and it wiped rite off. Then I put my propane torch on it for a few seconds and the film burned rite off and the metal didn't even get warm. Probably not the approach for a gun, but for this it was great, thanks.
every day.

cgwymp

Quote from: rbodell on March 08, 2010, 01:52:29 PM
Not familiar with IIRC either.

IIRC --> "If I  Recall Correctly"
Listeroid 8/1

rbodell

Quote from: cgwymp on March 09, 2010, 12:55:58 PM
Quote from: rbodell on March 08, 2010, 01:52:29 PM
Not familiar with IIRC either.

IIRC --> "If I  Recall Correctly"
That explains why I have never heard of the product LOL. Thanks.
every day.

Dail R H

WHAT, never heard of the product????????? I got half a 55 gal drum,, just doesn't seem to work as good as it used to (sigh)