Main Menu

1935 all over again

Started by mobile_bob, March 07, 2010, 06:48:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcavictim

Quote from: Lloyd on March 13, 2010, 11:56:58 AM
Quote from: Lloyd on March 08, 2010, 09:10:32 AM
Thanks, Bob

Now I'll never get my project done. I can't keep my nose out of the last link you put up.

Lloyd

Here is a link to a free patent, of an update version http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4274011.html a variable horizontal wind generator.

Bruce,

That looks like a fold up wind turbine that is designed to fit all rolled up inside a spacecraft nosecone and then once out in space can deploy into something rather large.  Pretty useless patent if you ask me.  I guess the inventor wanted to cover all bases and just in case outer space someday filled with air he would have a heads-up on the competition!   :D
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

Lloyd

Actually RCA,

It's designed to deploy on the mast of a sail boat, the control is so it doesn't over speed. It's an actual product..I lost the web site addy but I will look for it again. It's a horizontal wind turbine.

Lloyd
JUST REMEMBER..it doesn't matter what came first, as long as you got chickens & eggs.
Semantics is for sitting around the fire drinking stumpblaster, as long as noone is belligerent.
The Devil is in the details, ignore the details, and you create the Devil's playground.

rcavictim

That was gonna be my second guess!   :D
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

Lloyd

RCA,

You can tell it was designed by an avid sailor. It uses the AirFoil of a perfectly trimmed sail to take advantage of wind conditions. No worry of healing to far over, and getting maximum power of the wind, while maintaining the safety factor.

Even down to using similar reefing ideology.

It's connected to an alt..to charge batteries. I have never heard one run, but I have heard many of the propeller type screaming machines used on sail boats. Not only are they very noisy, but also very eerie sounding when the anchored out of site, but within ear shot.

I could never have one on my boat...just to disruptive.

Now this horizontal...if it's quieter...it may add some needed power, while hanging on the hook.

Lloyd
JUST REMEMBER..it doesn't matter what came first, as long as you got chickens & eggs.
Semantics is for sitting around the fire drinking stumpblaster, as long as noone is belligerent.
The Devil is in the details, ignore the details, and you create the Devil's playground.

M61hops

OK Bob, I'll take a shot at your question!  The 57 radio was 12V instead of 6V in 56?  When did GM switch to 12V?  I remember my dad's 57 Caddy CoupeDeVille was 12V and had a very nice sounding wonderbar radio with front and rear speakers  8) !  Also automatic "Magic Eye" headlight dimmer  :o !  Beautiful car, sure wish I had it now!

mobile_bob

55 chev was their first year for 12volts

the answer to the question

the 55 and 56 wonderbar radio were exactly alike in all but on detail
that was the two little spots on the dial for the emergency broadcast frequency

they were put on radios after sept of 1955, so all 55's had no spots on the dials and all 56's had the spots.

also wonderbar radios were a rather rare option for chevy, they were generally put in higher end gm car's like cadillac, and in olds
and buick  top end offering like the buick roadmaster, those that went into the chevy made it in corvette and the nomad in 55
predominately and there were many more put in 1956.

a little trivia :)

when i got my 55 done in oct '78 i took it to a rod run, at the time i had about 1800bucks in the whole car
at the show a nomad owner came up because he had heard i had a wonderbar and refused to believe it.
he had paid 1500bucks for a core radio and another 500 bucks to get it to work for his car... it really upset him
that i had one that was working in my car that i paid 5 bucks for and fixed myself.

he told me the radio was worth more than my car!

lmao

bob g

M61hops

Oh Yeah, Conalrad or something like that!  I remember that now but can't remember when they stopped putting those symbols on the radio dial.  I'd guess late 60's  :-[ ?  I suppose you know that Bob?                      Leland

mobile_bob

when they quit, i am not sure,
and i would not have known about the sept 55 start date had it not been for that nomad owner.

bob g

rbodell

Quote from: M61hops on April 03, 2010, 06:01:44 PM
Oh Yeah, Conalrad or something like that!  I remember that now but can't remember when they stopped putting those symbols on the radio dial.  I'd guess late 60's  :-[ ?  I suppose you know that Bob?                      Leland

Remember the duck and cover drills at school? We could look out the window and see the Tampa skyline with no problem. Tampa is where they run the wars from and obviously one of the first strikes. 

I remember in the third grade they had a drill and the teacher chewed me out for staying sitting in my desk. I said see Tampa over there? She said yes. I said well today the wind if coming from Tampa. Even if this desk protects you from an atomic bomb (yeah rite), ill be dead and you all will probably take a week to die from the fallout. About half the class started to cry for the next half hour. by the time she got them quiet she forgot about me LOL.
I am looking forward to senility,
you meet so many new friends
every day.