News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

1935 all over again

Started by mobile_bob, March 07, 2010, 06:48:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mobile_bob

flywheel

Looks like cogen has been around for a while, it even mentions it is mounted on inflated tires for vibration control, has noise control, runs on cheap fuel oil etc.
                                                             flywheel
Never met a diesel engine I didnt like.

BruceM

AdeV

Cracking find, Bob! I'm up to page 31 so far, what a brilliant magazine.

Love the 3-bowl pipe (p31)...
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
Lister CS 6/1 with ST5
Lister JP4 looking for a purpose...
Looking for a Changfa in my life...

mobile_bob

Ade:

this will keep you busy for quite a while

http://books.google.com/books/serial/ISSN:01617370?rview=1&rview=1&source=gbs_navlinks_s

some of the stuff our grand daddy and his crowd worked on was pretty cool indeed

bob g

Lloyd

Thanks, Bob

Now I'll never get my project done. I can't keep my nose out of the last link you put up.

Lloyd
JUST REMEMBER..it doesn't matter what came first, as long as you got chickens & eggs.
Semantics is for sitting around the fire drinking stumpblaster, as long as noone is belligerent.
The Devil is in the details, ignore the details, and you create the Devil's playground.

mike90045

re: folding vane wind charger

I wonder what the lifetime of the thing is, as those vanes snap open in a brisk wind?  Cool idea, hard to implement?

Lloyd

110 volts from a 6 volt bat....very interestinanyone know how this works?    Bob.....Bruce....RCAvictim?.
JUST REMEMBER..it doesn't matter what came first, as long as you got chickens & eggs.
Semantics is for sitting around the fire drinking stumpblaster, as long as noone is belligerent.
The Devil is in the details, ignore the details, and you create the Devil's playground.

BruceM

Long before power transistors, boost converters existed.  Some of the earliest used electromechanical vibrators with contacts to do switching.  Inductors were bigger since the frequency was low, and the "buzzer" ate some current, but they worked. Same basic circuit as today.

rbodell

OMG, those were the days, an outboard motor for 55 dollars, railway postal clerk jobs paying a whopping $158 A MONTH. look at the front page, it's the snow tractor rig.

And of all things, would you believe it, a parking meter.
I am looking forward to senility,
you meet so many new friends
every day.

bschwartz

On page 81, learn how to fatten up your skinny woman :)
- Brett

Metro 6/1, ST-5 - sold :(
1982 300SD
1995 Suburban 6.5 TD
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 TD
1950s ? Oilwell (Witte) CD-12 (Behemoth), ST-12
What else can I run on WVO?
...Oh, and an old R-170

rcavictim

Quote from: Lloyd on March 08, 2010, 11:59:25 PM
110 volts from a 6 volt bat....very interestinanyone know how this works?    Bob.....Bruce....RCAvictim?.

The metal box thing is a step up xfmer.  Has a low voltage winding that receives chopped battery voltage from the mechanical vibrator (magnetically driven interrupter) the silver can in socket on right.  The resultant high voltage from the transformer secondary gets rectified with a rectifier tube, the cylindrical black metal tube on the left.  Doesn't say if this is an 0Z4 (cold cathode rectifier with no cathode heater) or a battery powered filament heated cathode rectifier tube also available in that form.  This was a common way to come up with B+ for all tube circuit car radios pre 1950.
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

mobile_bob

up through 1955 and 56 in gm products, maybe a bit further i am not sure.

my 55 has a wonderbar radio and it has the "wonderful" vibrator included

its been 1980 since i last heard that radio play, i am thinking maybe i should pull it out
and have it gone through, caps replaced and any other issues taken care of.

the wonderbar as a mechanical scanning tuner for those that don't know. it had the 6 preset buttons
you could pull/press to lock in up to 6 favorite stations, and the wonderbar above the dial plate
that you could press and have it scan for stations in an unfamiliar area. it worked remarkably well
if you were around fairly strong stations.

kind of a cool little gimmick

anyone know the difference between a 55 an 56 car radio? there was one difference that was an easy
way to spot the difference between the two when the radios otherwise looked exactly the same.

bob g

BruceM

Thanks for the explanation RCAvictim- I forgot that there weren't solid state rectifiers then...OMG, what a nightmare! 

Lloyd

Quote from: Lloyd on March 08, 2010, 09:10:32 AM
Thanks, Bob

Now I'll never get my project done. I can't keep my nose out of the last link you put up.

Lloyd

Here is a link to a free patent, of an update version http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4274011.html a variable horizontal wind generator.