News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

My "perky\cat/volvo" DC bat charger

Started by Lloyd, February 18, 2010, 04:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveU.

Nice belt wraps you have set up there Mr Lloyd.
Any concerns about the side thrust wear on the engine main bearing? It is a plain shell bearing, no?
Regards
Washington State Steve Unruh
"Use it up. Wear it out. Make do. Or do without."
"Trees are the Answer" to habitat, water, climate moderation, food, shelter, power, heat and light. Plant, grow, and harvest more trees. Then repeat. Trees the ultimate "no till crop". Trees THE BEST solar batteries. Now that is True sustainability.

Lloyd

Quote from: SteveU. on September 29, 2011, 01:51:32 PM
Nice belt wraps you have set up there Mr Lloyd.
Any concerns about the side thrust wear on the engine main bearing? It is a plain shell bearing, no?
Regards
Washington State Steve Unruh

Hi Steve,

No worries, the final geometry will be about 60% nm load of the cat specs, for continuous duty. Our application will also be well below continuous duty, our duty cycle will be about 2hrs on 8 hrs off, and not 365.

These engines were designed to take a side load and have been used in industry for years side loaded. The flywheel drive pulley, belt tensioner and Idler pulleys are already Cat certified for this application, in fact they are Cat Dealer parts.

Lloyd
JUST REMEMBER..it doesn't matter what came first, as long as you got chickens & eggs.
Semantics is for sitting around the fire drinking stumpblaster, as long as noone is belligerent.
The Devil is in the details, ignore the details, and you create the Devil's playground.

Henry W

Max allowable load versus overhang, C0.5/402D-05 at rear and front of crankshaft

http://www.microcogen.info/index.php?topic=527.0

Henry

SteveU.

Sounds excellent guys.
Regional Kubota applications engineer would only sign off on a 180 degree opposing alternators drive system to not void the warrantee on their DG972 three cylinder natural gas engine.
Thanks
Steve Unruh
"Use it up. Wear it out. Make do. Or do without."
"Trees are the Answer" to habitat, water, climate moderation, food, shelter, power, heat and light. Plant, grow, and harvest more trees. Then repeat. Trees the ultimate "no till crop". Trees THE BEST solar batteries. Now that is True sustainability.

Lloyd

Quote from: SteveU. on September 29, 2011, 02:19:54 PM
Sounds excellent guys.
Regional Kubota applications engineer would only sign off on a 180 degree opposing alternators drive system to not void the warrantee on their DG972 three cylinder natural gas engine.
Thanks
Steve Unruh

Hi Steve,

Both the kabota and the yanmar have been used for the big-rig apu's, but the Perky-Cat's gained favor and displaced all of the kabotas, and yanmar's due to their ability to drive side load.

Off-setting belts by 180 would aid but, my units are using 8-rib poly v-belts, which really start to extend the load if they were stacked. Gates actually prefers to execute a serpentine belt, as I proposed as to running a pair of belts.

Attached are the 403D-11 specs for side load, and the radial graph, associated.

Lloyd
JUST REMEMBER..it doesn't matter what came first, as long as you got chickens & eggs.
Semantics is for sitting around the fire drinking stumpblaster, as long as noone is belligerent.
The Devil is in the details, ignore the details, and you create the Devil's playground.

Lloyd

Quote from: Apogee on September 18, 2011, 12:27:11 PM
Lloyd,

Very, very nice boat!!!!

Is she a Monk?

What has she got for power, a couple of Chrysler flatheads?

As I looked at your pics, I felt mixed emotions because I've been there and done that; although not on something as big as she is.  I restored a 1949 33' Chris Craft sedan from the bottom up.  It was LOTS of work.  All Honduran Mahogany double planked hull.  The restoration involved redoing all of the mechanical and electrical systems just like you did.  We even redid the shrunken canvass coverings on the superstructure and used lactose glue just like when it was original.  However, I didn't have to rebuild the interior - I'm sure that was loads of fun...ugh!  I'm not sure most folks understand that EVERYTHING on a boat is custom, and it takes hours and hours and hours... LOL!

She's WONDERFUL!  I commend you for taking on a project like her and having the staying power to finish her and keep her in such nice shape.

I wish we still had Ruby but economics forced us to sell her awhile back.  I hope she too is being used and loved.

Again, outstanding work!

Thanks for sharing,

Steve

Hi Steve,

Sorry for the late reply, thanks. Yes she's an Ed. Monk Sr. design built by Grandy BoatWorks here on Lake Union launched in 1937.

She's powered by 3 Perkins Diesels, 2 X 3-654/120 hp for her main engines, and the baby perky/cat\volvo for her ships power, DC/AC while under way or at anchor. She cruises at about 10.5/11 knots and only burns between 3-4 gals per hr depending on winds and tides.

While she has been a lot of work, completing the restoration...it seems more fun then work. I have done 90% of the work myself,  that's why it's taken me 9 years to get her to this stage. She has also been as much fun, as work...especially when we get to go charge my batteries..and I'm not talking the ships bats...but the captain''s bats.

You know, I think I know "RUBY" though I haven't seen her in a while, if it's the boat I'm thinking. Knowing the love that I have put into my little boat, I'm sure, I know you must be sick when you think of letting RUBY go...can you really ever let something that is part of your heart and soul, go? I'm not sure I could...even after she's gone...it must still tug at your heart.

Lloyd

Lloyd

Why on earth is this group so adamant about AC prime generators.

1. are your loads so great that a good bank/inverter can't manage?

2. do ya just love the thumping sound of a non-stop diesel eng/gen?

3. heat demands an an engine to run 24/7?

4. i don't know

WHY???

Lloyd

Henry W

Lioyd,

I would jump on building a inverter setup in a heartbeat if I can find a 24 volt DC input with 120/240 volt AC output, 3000 watt pure sine wave  inverter at a price of around 600.00. They are just to pricy for me right now. Any leads on a good used one? If you do just PM me.

Thanks,

Henry

Lloyd

Quote from: hwew on November 08, 2011, 06:47:06 AM
Lioyd,

I would jump on building a inverter setup in a heartbeat if I can find a 24 volt DC input with 120/240 volt AC output, 3000 watt pure sine wave  inverter at a price of around 600.00. They are just to pricy for me right now. Any leads on a good used one? If you do just PM me.

Thanks,

Henry

Henry,

I'll keep my eye out, but a good thought is search Craigs List in communities that have large boating recreation, especially sail and cruisers.

Do you need 3k for full time loads or is that start loads?

Lloyd

mbryner

QuoteWhy on earth is this group so adamant about AC prime generators.

because where do you find a 48 VDC alternator (and 3 stage charger)?
JKson 6/1, 7.5 kw ST head, propane tank muffler, off-grid, masonry stove, thermal mass H2O storage

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temp Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Ben Franklin, 1775

"The 2nd Amendment is the RESET button of the US Constitution"

Lloyd

Quote from: mbryner on November 09, 2011, 09:04:01 AM
QuoteWhy on earth is this group so adamant about AC prime generators.

because where do you find a 48 VDC alternator (and 3 stage charger)?

mbryner,

There are at least 5 manufactures of 48 volt alternators that I know of, the bigger problem besides expense is the regulator, they're internal, and not smart regulators.

Leece Neville still makes a 48 Alternator for the military market, but they are hard to come by. Funny thing is they still provide support for that alternator. In that you can buy all the repair replacement parts for that alt.

You can also by a 12 volt large frame Leece Neville with isolated ground, r&r the stator with a 48 volt stator. Then use a 12 volt Balmar MC 614 regulator. Take the isolated field supply from the gen start 12v bat to the regulator, and take the 12 volt sense wire from one of the 12 volt bats in the 48 volt bank. BC the Balmar is opto-isolated it doesn't care if the sense and field come from a different source.

If you want I can ask KEI what they would charge for such alternator, they have already confirmed that they can build and will warranty such an installation. My 240 volt alternator, with 12 volt rotor, from KEI built the same way was $750.00 I expect the 48 volt to be the same costs.

Lloyd

Henry W

Quote from: Lloyd on November 08, 2011, 08:17:09 PM
Quote from: hwew on November 08, 2011, 06:47:06 AM
Lioyd,

Thanks,

Henry

Henry,

I'll keep my eye out, but a good thought is search Craigs List in communities that have large boating recreation, especially sail and cruisers.

Do you need 3k for full time loads or is that start loads?

Lloyd

Hi Lloyd,
Yes I can use up to 3000 watts full time loads.
Thanks for keeping an eye out and I will take your advice where to look.

Henry

Lloyd

Look what I just found for the perky\cat/volvo dc bat charger.

Off the shelf electric governor, that is a direct replacement of the fuel shut off solenoid with droop control. Woohooo

SV Linear Actuators for Caterpillar C (3000) and Perkins 400 Series Engines

The model SV linear actuators for Caterpillar 3000 and Perkins 400 Series engines are designed for direct mounting on the engine in place of the fuel shutoff solenoid.  This integral type actuator is linkage free and provides precise speed control. The Linear Ball-Bearing design ensures smooth rapid operation of the actuator providing a stable operating speed of the engine when combined with one of PG's controllers.  This combined with low operating currents of less than 1.5 amps result in an actuator with consistent performance over a long operating life. PG's linear actuators are designed to respond in milliseconds to changes in the current from a pulse-width modulated signal generated by a PG controller. A magnetic pick-up signal transmitted to the controller provides for closed loop speed control.  The actuator and controller maintain engine speed adjusting the fuel requested to obtain preset engine speed settings.  This eliminates the droop inherent to mechanical governors.

http://www.precisiongovernors.com/products/details/index.cfm?type=actuator&product=47

Lloyd

Lloyd

I forgot to mention,

They have em for the Kabota, and the Yanmar as well.

Lloyd

Quote from: Lloyd on November 22, 2011, 12:03:20 PM
Look what I just found for the perky\cat/volvo dc bat charger.

Off the shelf electric governor, that is a direct replacement of the fuel shut off solenoid with droop control. Woohooo

SV Linear Actuators for Caterpillar C (3000) and Perkins 400 Series Engines

The model SV linear actuators for Caterpillar 3000 and Perkins 400 Series engines are designed for direct mounting on the engine in place of the fuel shutoff solenoid.  This integral type actuator is linkage free and provides precise speed control. The Linear Ball-Bearing design ensures smooth rapid operation of the actuator providing a stable operating speed of the engine when combined with one of PG's controllers.  This combined with low operating currents of less than 1.5 amps result in an actuator with consistent performance over a long operating life. PG's linear actuators are designed to respond in milliseconds to changes in the current from a pulse-width modulated signal generated by a PG controller. A magnetic pick-up signal transmitted to the controller provides for closed loop speed control.  The actuator and controller maintain engine speed adjusting the fuel requested to obtain preset engine speed settings.  This eliminates the droop inherent to mechanical governors.

http://www.precisiongovernors.com/products/details/index.cfm?type=actuator&product=47

Lloyd

Lloyd

Hey all I started an album at the the CYA

http://classicyacht.org/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=293

This album shows some of the history of my off grid project.

Lloyd

Then

And Now