News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Oil level in a listeroid

Started by Jens, February 11, 2010, 03:41:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jens

Does anyone know what the recommended amount of 'dip' is for the oil dippers ?
My oil level (20/2) falls rapidly when I have about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch dip. I already changed the dippers from plowing through the oil with the flat side of the dipper to where it is now dipping into the oil knife edge style. It appears that oil usage sorts itself out when the dippers go in about 1/8" or so. My gut tells me that this is not enough oil 'dippage' for correct lubrication but then the amount of oil burnt with more 'dippage' seems to suggest there is too much of it splashing around.
Any thoughts/suggestions ?

BruceM

Time for a baffle plate?  Once the oil is spread around I wonder how much is left of that 1/8".

Geno

Rom

The aircooled 8/1s (VA) around here have the baffle plate aswell, so I would assume the 8/1s would have it aswell.

Rom
Power Anand 16/2 w/ XZYER's Hollow Dippers, Power Solutions ST-12kw, Simple Centrifuge. Looking for Good 55gal Drums.

Ronmar

The oil splash plate was, I believe to either cut down on the dipper wake oil splashed up on the crank throw, or reduce the wake depression so the dipper strikes a full puddle of oil every stroke.  IMO, I don't think there is anything wrong with the oil splashed up on the crank throws.  Since the crank throw goes all the way around, and the dipper is restricted to the bottom of the rod as it passes thru it's orbit, the crank throw is more effective at slinging oil radially across the top of the case and up against the bottom of the piston to lube the little end bearing.

The few variants of the manuals I have seen only show the splash plate on the singles.  It appears that the twins were set up with a trough for the dipper to pass along, instead of the large upper sump puddle that the singles swing thru. 

As for the oil level, it sounds like the engine is trying to tell you how much dip it wants.  As I recall magic jack mentioned how his would quickly slobber/burn off any excess oil till it reached it's happy place.  The videos I took thru the case door show a pretty violent oil sling, even with the around 1/4" that my dipper engages the oil.  A litle dip goes a very long way.       
Ron
"It ain't broke till I Can't make parts for it"

BruceM

Thanks for the photos, Geno.  Maybe we should call them splash plates?

If Lister used troughs, the splash plate might do something similar- you need less oil getting on the cylinder walls, which means less oil getting on the crank- which throws it upwards (in a path all around actually, in great quantities).

vdubnut62

Jens, have you considered "stretching " the dipper a little longer, maybe another 1/8", leaving the oils "happy place" at the same level and watching what happens? I wonder how manufactures go about setting the oil level to start with.
Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

BruceM

A crank scraper might also be helpful- this woud be a plate that extends out from the rear (small door) side, which is shaped to closely fit the crank.  As the crank swings by after going past the sump, excess oil is removed by the crank scraper.   

vdubnut62

Quote from: Jens on February 12, 2010, 12:42:43 AM
Quote from: vdubnut62 on February 11, 2010, 11:58:16 PM
Jens, have you considered "stretching " the dipper a little longer, maybe another 1/8", leaving the oils "happy place" at the same level and watching what happens? I wonder how manufactures go about setting the oil level to start with.

No, that never occurred to me but quite frankly I am not sure what that would tell me. First, I don't dare mess with the dippers themselves on fear of messing up their strength and second, if the trend holds, the happy place would move by the amount of dipper extension .....

if the trend holds, the happy place would move by the amount of dipper extension .....
I agree, one would think so, but I always was too curious for my own good.

I would have no idea on how to lengthen the dipper either. I suppose fab one from a grade 8 bolt would be my first attempt,
if I decided to follow through with yet another hare brained scheme.
Ron.

When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous