News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Generator help please

Started by veggie, February 01, 2010, 11:00:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

veggie

Sorry Jens, you are the one who originally kicked off the governor investigation. :)
Good call !
Today, Henry really got me off my butt to change the spring.

veggie

Henry W

veggie,
I am glad the lighter spring worked. At times it is the simplest things that get overlooked. It seems the governer is regulating the speed very well.

Henry

veggie

Quote from: BruceM on February 05, 2010, 04:47:30 PM
I wonder how the same spring worked fine 2 weeks ago.  That's baffling.

That's what had me scratching my head. ???
In any case, the new setup seems to be more robust and responsive than 2 weeks ago so I feel that there is considerable improvement in the system

I am sure I gave up a lot of control at the high end of the speed range, but I'm not intending on running the engine up there.
I will keep the original spring just in case  ;)

veggie

Henry W

veggie the only concern I have is why did it work 2 weeks ago.

If I can only get you off your butt and open the gearcase cover and inspect the governer to see if some of the fasteners loosened up.

I just don't want to see you blow up a perfectly good engine.

Please read this.

Well by messing around I pulled on the Governor Ball Race and the balls fell out. It turned out to be a good thing. What I found was the bolts holding the Governor Ball Spacer were all loose by One and a quarter turns. It looks like the torque step has been missed. What I also noticed is lock washers were used but the Governor Ball Spacer is made out of plastic so I thought it is a good idea to get rid of the lock washers and replace the bolts with higher quality wide head bolts to prevent damage to the plastic Governor Ball Spacer.
I also replaced the counter shaft bolts with higher-grade bolts that were 5 mm longer.

Loctite was used as a precautionary measure on all fasteners on the gear train.

After checking everything out I just reassembled everything and gave it another test run. The test run was a success and I did notice some less vibration. It was probably due to the re-timing of the countershaft. Overall I am very pleased with the outcome. These engines are very simple to work on and I'm glad I purchased one.

I hope this thread helps others to know what should be checked out. Personally, it was an enjoyable time and it was not hard and long. It might of cost me at most $5.00 in higher quality fasteners. The most expensive cost would be the Loctite. But I look at it as cheap insurance.

There was a person that had problems with an S series engine and he took his gearcase off and found a phillips screw and lock washer inside the cover. He did not know where it belonged and I wrote to him to take the governer assembly apart. Well he found that one of the bolts worked itself loose that holds the governer assembly together and fell out. Could you imagine what would of happened if that screw got caught in a gear. :o
Oh I just remembered, The reason he took the gearcase cover off was the engine was leaking lots of oil. It turned out a gear caught the screw and drove it in the cover and cracked it. ::)

This is why I strongly recommend removing the cover and check everything out. And while it is apart, get rid of the cheap screws.

Like I said before. It is cheap insurance.

Henry

veggie

Quote from: Jens on February 05, 2010, 05:01:30 PM
Ummm ... I was also the one to suggest you try changing the spring and if that doesn't work that the governor weights need some attention.

Was this not acknowledged earlier in the thread...?

"Somehow the governor is not sensitive to the low speed operation and loading.
(This was Jens' assumption when the problem first appeared)
So now I call on anyone who knows about governors and how they relate to spring pressure and adjustments to give me ideas on how to make this system more sensitive at the lower speed.
The linkage is currently free an not binding."

BTW...be nice to me today.....I just became a Hero member. :) Do I get some chocolates in the mail or something?  ;D

Henry W

Hey Jens,

When are you going to get an S195 ? ;)

Henry

Henry W

Quote from: veggie on February 05, 2010, 05:11:47 PM
So now I call on anyone who knows about governors and how they relate to spring pressure and adjustments to give me ideas on how to make this system more sensitive at the lower speed.
The linkage is currently free an not binding."

Veggie,

I would go for a spring that will operate the engine at 900 rpm's at 3/4 to 7/8 throttle on the engine. Make sure the adjusting rod is in the center when sizing the spring. this will give you some room for adjustment later when the spring loses some of its tension.

As you seen, as long as you are in the range where the linkage can have full movement freely at your set speed the governer will most likely function properly on the S195.

I feel the governers are very good in these engines.

Henry

Henry W

Jens,

The governers on the S195's are very good at keeping the speed regulated at most speeds.

Veggie installed a lighter spring and he did nothing else and the speed was regulated perfectly at 900 rpm's. What more do you want? ::)

These governers are much more percise in keeping rpm's than most governers I worked on. The listeroid governer is much more problemattic than the S195.

It is not rocket science to get the governer to work on an S195. :)

Henry

Henry W

Quote from: Jens on February 05, 2010, 06:09:44 PM
Quote from: hwew on February 05, 2010, 05:42:24 PM
Hey Jens,
When are you going to get an S195 ? ;)

When they come out with a slow speed version.

I think we are seeing one here. ;D

Henry

veggie

Quote from: Jens on February 05, 2010, 06:05:22 PM

Anyway, Hero members have immunity for three faux-pax's so you are off the hook .......

Whew ! thanks Jens.....nice to know I still have two left  ;D

veggie

BruceM

Something in the governor has changed enough to make the original spring too long to work.  This is a serious concern, and hwew's advice about internal governor inspection should be heeded before something fails in a bad way, I think.  hwew knows these beasts!

veggie

Quote from: BruceM on February 06, 2010, 10:28:39 AM
Something in the governor has changed enough to make the original spring too long to work.  This is a serious concern, and hwew's advice about internal governor inspection should be heeded before something fails in a bad way, I think.  hwew knows these beasts!

Good advice BruceM,

veggie