Muffler for Perkins, Cat and Shibaura diesels

Started by flywheel, January 28, 2010, 05:47:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flywheel

If anyone is looking for a muffler for the Perkins 402, Cat c 05 or Shibaura mini diesel engines they can be found on ebay.  This would be the type muffler with the 2 1/4" square mounting flange bolt pattern.  Mine arrived today and it is a very well made heavy little muffler.

This is the same muffler used on the the cub cadets with cat engines.  If you look on ebay look for - muffler caterpillar diesel cub cadet. You may also check at your local cub cadet dealer.

If you want to check on ebay now look up item number 200431999162, $35 plus shipping.
                                                                                                                          flywheel
Never met a diesel engine I didnt like.

Henry W

That looks like a good muffler. And the price is good also.

Henry

Horsepoor

I am interested in your find. Have you installed it yet? How well does it muffle the noise? Could you attach the ebay link please.

Horsepoor

Sorry, I missed your catalog reference number during my first read, link not necessary. Seriously thinking about ordering one. Does it line up well with the flange and mount/fit well over the engine?

flywheel

Quote from: Bruce on February 01, 2010, 02:36:10 AM
Sorry, I missed your catalog reference number during my first read, link not necessary. Seriously thinking about ordering one. Does it line up well with the flange and mount/fit well over the engine?

The mounting flange has slightly slotted holes and it does line up very well with the exhaust manifold. You will need to buy or make a bracket to support the muffler if you engine does not have this support already attached to the engine above the flywheel.  I do not have the Perkins engine in service yet so I can't say how well it muffles the sound. 

flywheel

flywheel

Cat/Cub Cadet muffler installed on Perkins engine with 2 1/4" square mounting flange.  I have not seen what a muffler from Perkins looks like, probably the same thing.  This muffler will need a support bracket installed on the engine block.
                       flywheel

Horsepoor

Thank you for the comments and especially the photos. Ordered two mufflers, one for myself and one for my neighbor (Bob) who also has one. Also like your frame, studying your photos now.

flywheel

Quote from: Bruce on February 05, 2010, 08:42:20 PM
Thank you for the comments and especially the photos. Ordered two mufflers, one for myself and one for my neighbor (Bob) who also has one. Also like your frame, studying your photos now.

Do you and your neighbor have the Perkins or the Cat engines?
                                                                                     flywheel

Henry W

Quote from: flywheel on February 01, 2010, 08:04:03 PM
Cat/Cub Cadet muffler installed on Perkins engine with 2 1/4" square mounting flange.  I have not seen what a muffler from Perkins looks like, probably the same thing.  This muffler will need a support bracket installed on the engine block.
                       flywheel

That muffler fits very nice all you need is a small piece on angle steel stock and it will hold it fine. I think it will hold up very well.

Henry

Horsepoor

We both have CAT diesels. Just openned the box with new muffler, looks real nice, thank you for the lead that led to it's purchase. Now to find an airfilter and make a decision on how to hook up my ST 10 head to the drive / flywheel area.

Horsepoor

Just found and installed a perfect fit K & N airfilter. Whats nice about this K & N model R-1100 is the 40 degree flange bend which allows it to completly clear the exhaust system.

Also, found a perfect fit K & N model E-3230 ($29.95) for my Metro 6/1 proving you can put lip stick on a pig.

Bruce

rl71459

I had that same K&N air filter on my c-201.... The intake noise was LOUD! I ended up temporarily installing
a air box from a car with a muffler connected to the air inlet.

Come to think of it... That temporary fix is still on the damb thing! oh well... at least it is'nt deafening
to be around.

I hope it works better for you than it did for me.

Rob

Horsepoor

I am anxious to find out. It will be almost a year until I can get to building my CAT generator. I am collecting information and planning. My next step is to decide on how to pull power off the engine considering the lack of a rear bearing. My plan in to run the engine at around 2400 rpm. One member up in the Florida panhandle has a fabrcated bellhousing but I dont have the $600, although this is a fair price considering a factory bellhousing would probably cost three times as much. I'm thinking about a stub shaft and perhaps using a pillow block bearing to support the very end with a pulley in between the pillow block bearing and the engine. Not sure how wll this would hold up longterm. I would love to see some photos from others who have built out CAT systems using a stub shaft or similar drive.

flywheel

Quote from: Bruce on May 01, 2010, 04:39:11 PM
I am anxious to find out. It will be almost a year until I can get to building my CAT generator. I am collecting information and planning. My next step is to decide on how to pull power off the engine considering the lack of a rear bearing. My plan in to run the engine at around 2400 rpm. One member up in the Florida panhandle has a fabrcated bellhousing but I dont have the $600, although this is a fair price considering a factory bellhousing would probably cost three times as much. I'm thinking about a stub shaft and perhaps using a pillow block bearing to support the very end with a pulley in between the pillow block bearing and the engine. Not sure how wll this would hold up longterm. I would love to see some photos from others who have built out CAT systems using a stub shaft or similar drive.

Look under PM generators on the forum, under Perkins 402c / utterpower PMG to see how I have assembled my drive system for the Perkins.  It uses a short shaft with pillow block bearings and works very well without any side loading on the crankshaft. Perkins, Cat and Shibaura are all basically the same engine.
                                                                                                                           flywheel