News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

I got lucky tonight

Started by bschwartz, January 26, 2010, 10:07:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bschwartz

I usually come home from work, start the listeroid, shut off the breakers to the grid, then turn on the breakers to the roid.
That went as normal.
This evening at shut down, I ususally shut off the roid breakers, then turn on the grid breakers........
I must have not shut the roid breakers completely and they snapped back on.......
I flipped the grid breakers back on.
I went to shut down the roid by flipping the fuel shutoff lever, but nothing happened....
Apparently the ST-5 will work as a motor keeping the roid running.
I turned the fuel on and off a few times till I realized what happened.

Big sigh of relief after shutting off the roid breakers that no smoke came out of the situation.
I guess the voltage, frequency and phase were just right that I didn't hear any bad noises.
- Brett

Metro 6/1, ST-5 - sold :(
1982 300SD
1995 Suburban 6.5 TD
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 TD
1950s ? Oilwell (Witte) CD-12 (Behemoth), ST-12
What else can I run on WVO?
...Oh, and an old R-170

mobile_bob

you should get dressed and immediately go out and buy a lottery ticket!

luck like that is about as rare as being stuck by lightening... twice

bob g

if i were to do something like that, there would have been flames, sparks, smoke, hunks of cast iron flailing about
and i would have had to burn my shorts too

:)

bob g

vdubnut62

You must be livin' Right!
What Mobile_Bob said, plus I would be taking a bath in the creek.....with a flashlight.

Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

mbryner

Where's your grid-intertie transfer switch?   We're going to find pieces of you scattered all over sometime, Brett.
JKson 6/1, 7.5 kw ST head, propane tank muffler, off-grid, masonry stove, thermal mass H2O storage

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temp Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Ben Franklin, 1775

"The 2nd Amendment is the RESET button of the US Constitution"

JohnF

I got lucky tonight too....Oh wait, this isn't the XXX board?????
John F
www.woodnstuff.ca
Listers, Changfas, Redstones, AG's and anything else diesel I can get my hands on!

Fat Charlie

I'm shaking just reading about it. 

Brett's account, not John's.
Belleghuan 10/1
Utterpower PMG
Spare time for the install?  Priceless.
Solar air and hot water are next on the list.

AdeV

Quote from: bschwartz on January 26, 2010, 10:07:16 PM

I guess the voltage, frequency and phase were just right that I didn't hear any bad noises.

You mean you didn't hear the power co's generator belt chirp?  ;)
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
Lister CS 6/1 with ST5
Lister JP4 looking for a purpose...
Looking for a Changfa in my life...

TimSR2

Locked on to the grid, lol. I did that once too.  I guess that's why them make those transfer switch thingies  ;)

bschwartz

I have the transfer switch hooked up to the 6.5 PMG.  I foolishly just hooked up two sets of breakers while testing the BS-ST head mod.
That should teach me..... (but it won't)  ::)
- Brett

Metro 6/1, ST-5 - sold :(
1982 300SD
1995 Suburban 6.5 TD
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 TD
1950s ? Oilwell (Witte) CD-12 (Behemoth), ST-12
What else can I run on WVO?
...Oh, and an old R-170

clytle374

I was just yesterday warning someone not to use a suicide plug to install their generator. Glad you got lucky and didn't give me a 'this could be you' example.

Scary stuff.

cognos

I gotta ask - what's a "suicide plug?"

I have a 5KW Briggs/Coleman emergency generator for power outages. On my house, for some reason, the original owner installed a "farm service", which houses a meter, and 2 switches with breakers, and a plug-in for a generator. Throw the switch, and you can either run the house on gennie or line power, but never both at the same time. There's even provision for a lock to locl one source or the other out.

The gennie connects to the farm service with a cord - male on one end plugs into the 30Amp/240v twistlock, female end mates with a recessed male plug mounted on the bottom of the panel.

My startup routine is this - plug gennie into panel. Fire up the generator, let it warm up for a few minutes. Throw the switch on the panel, and lock out the line switch.

Wizard

Suicide cords is a extension cord with both male plugs.  Illegal, and no provision to interlock because of not having or using transfer switch.  Also no inspection means insurance issues.

Cheers, Wizard

cognos

I see... I now understand the nickname completely...

I like my system, it's nice and safe... only problem with it, I never know if the power comes back on, unless I get out my binoculars and look for lights in neighbor's house down the road... and before you ask, no, I'm not a peeping Tom, the only light I can see is on my neighbor's garage, nothing to see there... should ask Ontario Hydro to put a line-power pilot light on my service panel. Wonder what the monthly charge for that would be... ;D

clytle374

The most common use of a suicide cord is to throw the main breaker and plug into the dryer outlet. 

Pretty sure the law would call it a manslaughter cord if someone forgets the main breaker, during a power outage.

Carlb

Quote from: cognos on January 28, 2010, 09:55:37 AM
I see... I now understand the nickname completely...

I like my system, it's nice and safe... only problem with it, I never know if the power comes back on, unless I get out my binoculars and look for lights in neighbor's house down the road... and before you ask, no, I'm not a peeping Tom, the only light I can see is on my neighbor's garage, nothing to see there... should ask Ontario Hydro to put a line-power pilot light on my service panel. Wonder what the monthly charge for that would be... ;D

The way i deal with the issue of when the power is turned on is simple.  I transfer all critical circuits  when I run the generator but not everything.  When I switch to the generator only the loads going through the transfer switch are switched so all of the other circuits in the house are still connected to the grid.  I just plug a radio into one of the outlets that is still on mains power and when the power comes back on the radio comes on letting me know i can turn the generator off.

carl
My Projects
Metro 6/1  Diesel / Natural Gas, Backup Generator  
22kw Solar in three arrays 
2.5kw 3.7 meter wind turbine
2 Solar Air heaters  Totaling 150 Sq/Ft
1969 Camaro 560hp 4 speed automatic with overdrive
2005 Infiniti G35 coupe 6 speed manual transmission