Combined domestic hot water and house heating system

Started by mbryner, January 23, 2010, 06:14:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mobile_bob

for the disbelievers in the crew :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_chimney

of course the system has to be engineered correctly, but there is no reason that the hot air going up a solar chimney
cannot pull colder denser air right on up the chimney as well,
it just has to be heated.

the larger the heated chimney area, the more air it can pull of course.

there is much written on the subject

part of the passive solar cooling scheme

bob g

BruceM

The ceramic flue liner will kep cold air from  direct contact with the masonry.  The surrounding airspace between flue liner and masonry may not be big enough for much convection- and may act as an insulator. A gap of at least 1"  is needed for convection air flow.

New wall to wall carpets are toxic hazards and don't belong in a healthy house.  Occasional batches are exceptionally toxic - there is still no regulation of this problem.  Vote with your wallet and say no to carpet.  There is "controversy" about this issue due to political manipulation by the carpet industry.  A google search of  carpet, health will show you the tip of the 'berg. 

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1525/is_n2_v82/ai_19148779/

Having been disabled in a new sick industrial building in 1987 (also involving aircraft composites), subsequently developing MS and epilepsy, I have little doubt about which side has credibility and which one is a economic and political whitewash at the expense of the public. 

Wall to wall carpets create a huge surface area of plastics and unknown mixtures of volatile chemical out-gassing for the first few years, then are collectors of dirt, mold and bacteria that an never be removed. (Roll up an old wall to wall carpet and you'll see and smell.)   Why put the worst offender where you spend 8 hrs a night?   A cleanable natural fiber throw rug or two in the bedroom (or some slippers) solves the cold floor "problem".  A heated floor also eliminates the cold floor problem.

mbryner

The flue liner is only for about 7 ft, after all the hot air (or cool air in this case) goes through the masonry heater passages.   Look at this link for examples:

http://www.heatkit.com/html/gallery.htm

I can't afford a masonry chimney all the way to the top of the ceiling, so there will be regular insulated pipe flue through the roof as per normal practice.   But, I understand what you are saying about limiting convection.

QuoteA heated floor also eliminates the cold floor problem.

Yes, but the listeroid and propane boiler are my big power sources besides the masonry heater.   Hydronic flooring, while admittedly a great heating concept and provides additional thermal mass, is quite expensive to install, especially on multiple floors.   Well, you'll say a wood fired boiler for the hydronic system is available.  Of course, but then I'll have to choose between the masonry stove and hydronic floors, and a boiler in the basement doesn't satisfy the need to look at the fire!

Carpets:  there are many alternatives to synthetics, like wool.

Marcus

P.S.  I don't think I've ever been so apathetic about Super Bowl Sunday.   I love football, but don't care about either team.   Guess I'll just record it on a PVR and watch it after it gets dark, at 2x speed.   Happy football cheering everyone!   :)
JKson 6/1, 7.5 kw ST head, propane tank muffler, off-grid, masonry stove, thermal mass H2O storage

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temp Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Ben Franklin, 1775

"The 2nd Amendment is the RESET button of the US Constitution"

Crofter

I dont think the refractory in your heater is going to like the moisture if you do manage to get flow through it from the underfloor tubes. There is usually considerable caution in first firings to gradually dry out the moisture the bricks absorb. I worked for several years at a lime kiln and the bricks were considered to be harmed by moisture. Of course "fire brick" is a very broad, catch all term.
Frank

10-1 Jkson / ST-5