News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Crankcase ventilation and vapor control

Started by veggie, January 23, 2010, 01:01:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

veggie

Thanks for the feedback everyone.
I have the brass check valves and I am making an adapter plate similar to ronmar for the mounting.

cheers,
veggie

sailawayrb

I use the Murphy oil level monitor as an manometer for exactly this purpose.  The Murphy oil level monitor has a sight window and both high and low oil level switches.  I have my high level switch set such that the engine has to be running and generate sufficient crankcase vacuum to lower the oil level to open the high level switch.  My emergency shutdown system will trip if either the high or low level switches open.  Engine will shutdown for high level if there is significant blow by to reduce the crankcase vacuum, or if there is a coolant/fuel leak into crankcase that increases the oil level.  Engine will shutdown for low level if oil gets low.  As a side note, I also use the crankcase vacuum to safely control my propane system using a vacuum switch and a solenoid valve.

I elected to use flex plastic irrigation pipe off the stock check valve because my engine is on a resilient mount and the engine moves during startup and shutdown as is passes thru various structural bending mode frequencies.  I could have used metal flex hose off of a NPT fitting like I used on my exhaust system, however, that would have been more expensive.  I use a kitchen range wall exhaust fan located directly behind my radiator whose primary purpose is to maintain slight negative pressure (i.e., relative to atmospheric pressure) in that area of my garage when running engine to provide additional ventilation.  This fan also causes air to be drawn past the radiator and vents the hot air outside...to keep garage cooler on hot summer days.  The exhaust from this kitchen range wall exhaust fan blows down over the dryer vent that is used to vent the stock check valve via the flex plastic irrigation pipe.  This creates a aerodynamic Bernoulli effect that causes negative pressure in the plastic pipe which then draws any check valve vapors outside without requiring a tight seal at the check valve or an additional exhaust fan.

http://listerenginegallery.com/main.php?g2_itemId=351

akghound

Here is how I did mine

Tapped into intake below air filter

The stock vent is plugged off with gasket paper.

This setup has worked good for me. However you need to keep an eye on the air filter. If it get too dirty or plugged up this setup can suck oil from the crankcase. No problem with a clean air filter.
Ken Gardner
One Day At A Time 
2000 F450 7.3 Powerstroke / Home Built WVO conversion
96 Dodge Cummins 2500 4x4 / Homebuilt WVO conversion
Listeroid Generator on used ATF
Living off grid

BruceM

I used rubber auto heater hose for my vent pipe to the wall, which has held up well.   

cujet

I put a fitting on the bottom of my twins intake manifold. With the idea of capturing the blow by gases coming out of the breather. I did not hook directly to the breather. But, rather, the hope was to capture the gases above and around the breather with a "hood" over the breather.

akghound

I think I'll try pulling off the top of the block when I put it back together. That way there is less chance of drawing crankcase oil into the intake. I'll post pictures when I get it done.
Ken Gardner
One Day At A Time 
2000 F450 7.3 Powerstroke / Home Built WVO conversion
96 Dodge Cummins 2500 4x4 / Homebuilt WVO conversion
Listeroid Generator on used ATF
Living off grid