News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

epa considers cogeneration

Started by mobile_bob, January 17, 2010, 06:45:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mobile_bob

interesting that there is movement afoot to calculate epa regs on energy output rather than fuel used
when using cogeneration.

http://ee.iwpnews.com/index.php/ccn/show/epa_move_hints_at_cogeneration_qualifying_as_co2_control_technology/

this is a significant move on the part of the epa, that would reopen the door for the use of these engine's in cogeneration.

bob g

Henry W

This could be good news. Lets hope for the best. I would like to see the engines we love become available here in the U.S. If it goes through I would like to see companies step up to the plate and make higher quality S195 type engines. Like the quality of a Kubota EA300.

Henry

rcavictim

Nice to see some rethinking on this.  The trouble with government knee jerk reactions trying to fix problems with regs like the EPA has made in the past isn't with the knees.
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

mbryner

Would be awesome, but it will plod though committees for years.
JKson 6/1, 7.5 kw ST head, propane tank muffler, off-grid, masonry stove, thermal mass H2O storage

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temp Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Ben Franklin, 1775

"The 2nd Amendment is the RESET button of the US Constitution"

BruceM

I refuse to be optimistic about any piece of legislation that has to get through the house and senate.

There are too many hands out with palms up, and too many lobbyists with full wallets.

All we can do is hope that some large corporation or group of same would think this new regulation is a great way for them to make money, and they forget to put in the usual roadblock for small business.  (Unlikely.)

mobile_bob

the way i see it is they (epa/gov) will never even know about micro/microcogen "if" there is no one besides the big boys doing
anything about it, and even they are just dabbling in it in a small way.

without someone(s) stepping up with a workable system that can be shown to replace those installations that are offgrid and reliant
on gasoline and standard diesel generators (some of which are screaming at 3600 without any regard to emissions) how is it ever to occur
to them that there is an alternative?

its too nich'e of a market, and the technology is much more expensive than just going to wally world and buying a throw away generator
so waiting for the major players to exploit this market is likely to be a long one.

personally i still think this is the next garage upstart company, that has a chance of being something very big in the not so distant future.

a small upstart company, well timed and able to respond to any calamity might make out quite well, but

there is a real need for the epa to allow testing guidelines based on btu output and not fuel input.

for that to happen we likely will need a regime change in washington, but who knows?
maybe with all the AGW stuff going on, the relabeling  of CO2 as a greehouse gas, might be the game changer
for cogeneration, the greenies love cogen!

in that regard i figure why fight them? maybe both sides can agree that we both love cogen?
and with that maybe there will be a reclassification for those engine's used in cogeneration systems?

i guess we wait and see?

bob g