News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Seperating the 'Co' from Cogeneration

Started by Jens, January 16, 2010, 07:51:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jens

I am currently limping along on one cylinder ... and I have been thinking (Danger Will Robinson)
Just to review, I generate heat with my 20/2. All electricity that is generated is also converted to heat for my house and domestic hot water system. Between de-coking, cleaning up injection pumps, cleaning exhaust heat exchangers etc etc it seems like a lot of effort to generate heat. It might make more sense to run a boiler of some kind and leave Thumper to generate emergency power as and when required. I am thinking/hoping that burning the veg oil will require less support work compared to running an engine.
So here is the question ..... has anyone tried out a SIMPLE burner design that can heat water with veggy oil ? Possibly drip feed? No fans or anything, just a water circulating pump.
I am looking for something low output, running more or less continuous heating my hot water system and hopefully requiring minimum support activity/cleaning/oil changes etc etc.

Thoughts ?

veggie

Jens,

Duct this puppy into your hot air ducting  ;D......

sorry...I couldn't resist  ;)

veggie

veggie

Coincidently Jens I had downloaded that web site a few months ago when I wanted to build a waste oil heater for the garage.
As I recall, the author (or someone he knows) experimented with WVO in one of these burners.
I'll send you all the files.

veggie

Henry W

WGB

I have a friend that heats a LARGE motor home with baseboard heat and a maritime type boiler.
I'm in the business and never seen anything like it 12"x12x18", sounds like a Lennox pulse furnace if you know what they are.
Maybe the maritime guys know.
I'm going with alcohol after I get the Listeroid & Changfa clone done.
I plan on building a big still, can get the feed stock free.
Here is my burner on alcohol:

WGB

Quote from: Jens on January 17, 2010, 07:12:21 AM
I never considered marine heaters - they will certainly be nice and compact. I will have to do some digging in that direction. Thanks !
How big is that burner assembly you show in the picture ? It seems fairly compact as well .....
[/quote

It's pretty small, but you can get a burn rate of up to 300,000 BTU.
Still manufactured.
Also the boiler I was talking about burned diesel right out of the engine fuel tank.

WGB

veggie

Quote from: WGB on January 17, 2010, 07:24:55 AM
Veggie is that your burner?

No I found it on youtube when looking for WVO burners.

As I see it, the problem with trying to burn WVO is the residue which creates problems for the nozzles and combustion chamber.
There are many commercially available systems for burning fuel oil and waste engine oil, but the WVO seems to need a hotter combustion in order to get a compete burn.

veggie

cgwymp

Listeroid 8/1

BruceM

Some folks here use waste oils in wood stoves via the drip method.  A wood fire is the "wick", then the waste oil drip is turned on.  It does not have a clean burn when burning used motor oil, you can smell it from a mile downwind.