News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

20/2 crank gear

Started by akghound, December 30, 2009, 05:41:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sailawayrb

Quote from: oliver90owner on January 04, 2010, 04:49:53 AM
I often ask students for the probability of getting a head or tail when tossing a fair coin.  You might be surprised how many get the answer wrong and say 'evens', 'half', or '50%'!  They just a) don't listen to the question or b) don't understand why their response is wrong.

1) What is the probability of getting a head or a tail when tossing a fair coin?

Answer: 1

2)  What is the probability of getting a head and a tail when tossing a fair coin?

Answer: 0

3) What is probability of getting a head when tossing a fair coin?

Answer: 1/2

mobile_bob

it all depends if there is a dab of clear silicone on that fair coin!

:)

what are the odds its neither?

bob g

keith71

Newbie here to Listeroids. But I know what my experience is with 8-10 other diesel engine manufactures is. Going to try not to sound like a jerk bringing this long dead, thread back from the dead.
Basically skimmed thru the thread after a page and a half, and by all means beat me with a broken listeroid connecting rod if I missed it.
Not anywhere did I read that anybody has basic machining tools, they may have them just did not use them in this case? Hard to know. The fit between that crank gear and the shaft is a interference fit, correct? If it is what were the measurements of the gear at room temp and the shaft at room temp? Gonna guess the crank gear is .004-.005 smaller than the shaft it fit's onto. If this is true then the best way for a guy working in his home shop is simply heat the gear and press it on. But, Better have a way of fixturing either the gear or crank so it slides on in correct location.
Not going to get involved in how to go about beating it on with a hammer or using a fixture in a press, you have to figure that out. My guess is that gear is never supposed to come off after installed from the factory. Which is probably why you cannot find out how the "boys in dursley" did it in any factory manual. If dursley did it wrong it was fixed by factory,dealer,  etc. Warrantied?

Guaranteed the indians heated the gear up and hammered it on the shaft.And hoped to get it close. Maybe they did have a fixture but it may have been worn out after 250 engines etc.Just like the rest of their tooling.

I find it strange that I did not read about a micrometer and a dial bore gauge (or even a set of cheap snap gauges) to measure the actual clearance of the two parts to come up with a reasonable way to assemble them. If the part does not have a taper or keyway, how else is it to be put together?

Anyway like I said sorry for bringing up the dead,and am not trying to be a know it all because I am certainly not. But the 2 pages of bickering on the gear fitting subject puzzled me. Again sorry for the long rant as well.

Kubota D722
10HP Diesel Air cooled 186fa yanmar clone                                                         
12/2   Field Marshall CS Lister clone
 R170 Jiangdong  (needs some work)