An emergancy shelter out of shipping containers with the comforts of home.

Started by Henry W, December 16, 2009, 05:57:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceM

Actually, the metal building does nothing for you, EMP wise, without military grade filters on all wires leaving the building.  You must have through capacitor/Pi type filtering else induced voltages will be high enough to fry everything attached, by conduction.  The building would help reduce induced voltages in unshielded wires inside the building, then. 

If you're really thinking you want your electronics  to survive an EMP attack, it's a bit of an engineering project.  The Air Force has spent a great deal of time and money in that area, for the obvious reasons. 

I think the tin hat is only good for blocking those pesky alien implants.  ;)

Former Civil Defense Preparedness Agency Shelter Survey Technician.  Good luck with their plan for you, city folks!

veggie

Here's the 10ft X 8ft container I just landed for a generator/Battery/Solar....CHP plant.
I am also considering getting two 40 ft. units to use as the core structure for a cabin (still evaluating that one).

veggie

veggie

I lucked out an got a brand new one for the price of a used one.

I'm interested to know if anyone has mounted a lister(roid) in one of these containers.
How does the the floor handle the thumping?
Any tips for mounting a roid generator?

veggie

mobile_bob

as long as the engine is mounted to a frame and has some sort of cushion to the floor, i bet the container will last
virtually forever.

even those little container probably were built to stand 20k lbs, stack 4-6 high, and handle many trips across countries
being bounced around on trailer chassis, trains and to a lessor extent ships.

i am seriously considering a 20ft unit for my cogen, so that i can also incorporate a cold storage section and have a bit
of space to work on stuff.

good score!

bob g

LowGear

The system I' seen used quite a bit is the two containers lined up about 20' apart and roof trusses placed between them.  You get a 20' X 20' (40) covered work area and two lock-up sheds for what-ever.

A neighbor here in Kona picked up an aluminum air conditioned one.  The double end doors are open to the view and when he's out of town for a few weeks he just locks the unit up and travels with peace.  The heavy insulation keeps it cool and at 1000 feet he doesn't need HVAC.

Casey

Crofter

Lowgear, my neighbour has two forty footers and was going to do exactly that build for her barn. Here the building code is very much in force and when she inquired about doing it legally they wanted about 6,000 dollars worth of additional steel and fabrication before an engineer would stamp it. Her house insurance demanded no non code buildings on the property. I think that foolish level of regulation is soon to come to an end. Considering it is not that many generations back to where some of our ancestors lived in sod shanties I think we have gotten a bit too uppity. With people foreclosed out of their houses and sleeping in their cars, a made over sea container could be quite attractive..
Frank

10-1 Jkson / ST-5

LowGear

What a wonderful world.  I see this being done on industrial - commercial locations here in Hawaii County.  I think she should seek out an architect with some experience in "out buildings".  It's sort of like a water storage pond for fire fighting rather than a Koi pond.

Casey

mobile_bob

do a google search and shipping container housing
its amazing what folks can do with those things.

if i were a single man, i would already be moved and would be living in one now
while i decided which way i really "needed" to go.

talk about simplifying ones life!

seeing the look on the tax assessors face would be priceless.

with the amount of debt piling up in this country, we may all be living in as much space, if not in shipping containers
sooner than later.

after my separation from my ex i moved into a 215sq/ft so called apartment, both to save money and to do an experiment
in living tiny... i was amazed at how livable it turned out to be.  it never took more than 20 minutes to clean, was so easy to
heat and cool, and after a while just felt natural.

so much so that my daughter who came to live with me everyother weekend cried when i moved out of that place, we affectionately
remember it as "dads cave"

bob g

BioHazard

I've always thought about a "container shop" setup like that except another 3-4 containers stacked on top for the roof. Living quarters maybe? I don't think you need a permit to simply stack containers.  ;D
Do engines get rewarded for their steam?

LowGear

Ahoy bob g,

I live in a 16 by 24 by 6'2" ceiling cave apartment for about three months out of every year.  You make friends with the place.  The other nine months I live in a much larger home.  I've noticed that I really don't use that more space when I'm there.  While 16 by 24 sounds only twice as big as a 8 by 20 container I'll bet it really turns out to be up to four times as big.

What I really liked about the first or second link was the massive windows they had put in the side of the container.  I'll bet they have a real multiplier effect.  I've been in a couple of underground houses and they all sucked for natural light.  And then too quiet is almost spooky.

Casey

Oh, I forgot to mention that I painted the room (not much room for a second storage area in these smaller living spaces) black.  Yup, walls and ceiling.  I couldn't find a purple or maroon carpet so I settled for brown.  I wish now I hadn't sold out. ;D

LowGear

Mr. Bio Hazard,

In some counties it's the kitchen cooker that turns it from a stack of containers into habitat that requires a permit. 

Casey

BioHazard

Quote from: LowGear on September 01, 2010, 08:16:55 AM
Mr. Bio Hazard,

In some counties it's the kitchen cooker that turns it from a stack of containers into habitat that requires a permit.  

Casey
Hmmm, well, I've got a partial kitchen and a full bathroom in my industrial "shop", but it's not permitted to and can't be lived in. Then again, nobody would know if I did either.......................... ;)

Personally, I'm 1000% against any rule preventing a man from building his own habitat, no matter what the materials and budget might be...
Do engines get rewarded for their steam?

vdubnut62

Another case of the Bastards with money dictating what they think that everyone ELSE should do.
Pisses me off too.
Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

Crofter

The present regulations in most areas sure does raise the ante to the cost of minimal housing but it does reduce the shambles that occurs where there is zero control. When Uranium was discovered in our area there were no communities with any code and no accommodation for the thousands who flooded in from all parts of Canada. Little trailer encampments and shacks went up all over and you can imagine what happened with wells and improvised sewage. I worked for a community that eventually amalgated a bunch of the former private water systems. You cant imagine the problem of trying to make that dependable.

As long as a person is off by himself it does not immpact too much on others but when you start to bring them together you get to realized why the controls came about. Lack of dollars will necessitate backing off on enforcement but communities will also be cutting way back of emergency response. You will be on your own a lot more; for some of us that will be good; for some it will be bad.
Frank

10-1 Jkson / ST-5

Mark

I would like to share my experience with shipping container moving.  I owned a towing company for many years before selling out to a competitor.  I purchased a set of frame forks that hooked onto the wheel lift and would fit up in the mounting holes in the corners of the container.  I would show up at a job site, lift one end of the container and slide under my dolly set with frame fork posts and mount it under one end of the container.  I would then drive to other side and raise it up, extend the wheel lift with frame fork posts under and lift.  I was then ready to drive.  I would run my magnetic light set out and would diliver to where ever the customer desired.  I purchased the forks for containers from "The House of Wreckers", I believe they are in California.  With age limits on tow trucks in most states, trucks can be purchased cheap.

A side benifit to this is while driving you are a member of "The Light on the Roof" club, cops usually look the other way.  I tried to find some pictures but have not yet.  I'm sure someone could locate the manufacturer and maybe come up with some ideas.  They do make a lift that is called a "Sneaker" that would replace your rear bumper and can acomodate the same loads as a standard lift.

I hope this might help some of you, if you have any questions I would do my best to help.

Mark