News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

CNC plasma cutter

Started by WGB, December 06, 2009, 03:44:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WGB

Any of you have any experience with plasma tables?
Like;
PlasmaCam
Samson
Tourchmate
etc.
Thanks
Bill

RogerAS

Quote from: WGB on December 06, 2009, 03:44:05 PM
Like;
PlasmaCam
Samson
Tourchmate
etc.
Thanks
Bill

No, but I have worked with CAD software and CNC routers in a cabinet/furniture shop. I now do graphic design (web/print)and I use Adobe Illustrator daily and it will export AutoCAD files from the native Illustrator or EPS vector paths. These are a series of 2D files stacked for semi 3D effect. Illustrator provides a precise tool to create line drawings. Settings accurate curves and effects is unbelievable. There's no reason it shouldn't be a good tool to have in a CNC operation. Aside from the cost, but compared to a full AutoCAD pack it's a steal. Available for Mac and PC. Did I mention I love Illustrator?

RS

mike90045

I worked for a while with a home brew plasma cutter.  Used XY gear off an old HP plotter, and had to shield the wires pretty well, the arc interference kept crashing the computer at first.  Used with a 8'x8' home made table.

Wonderful tool.  fed it simple autocad dwgs.

XYZER

PlasmaCam
Samson
Tourchmate

I have no experience with the listed machines.....You have a couple of things to consider. First is the electro/mechanical end of it. What type of controllers and servos do they use? Are they PC based? How difficult is there operating software. Each company thinks they have the best way to import code and files. Some do some things better than others. Touching and feeling one would be my approach the more info the better.
Vidhata 6/1, Power Solutions 6/1, Kubota Z482

WGB

Quote from: XYZER on December 07, 2009, 11:25:06 AM
PlasmaCam
Samson
Tourchmate

I have no experience with the listed machines.....You have a couple of things to consider. First is the electro/mechanical end of it. What type of controllers and servos do they use? Are they PC based? How difficult is there operating software. Each company thinks they have the best way to import code and files. Some do some things better than others. Touching and feeling one would be my approach the more info the better.

I've been talking to the the Torchmate forks, they hooked me up with a 30 day trial with Design 2 Fab HVAC software.
I've never worked with any software like this, I had parts ready to export in couple minutes of the download.
As far as equipment they have been around for many years, the interface and dependability is part of what you're buying, so they say!

WGB

Quote from: RogerAS on December 07, 2009, 07:27:39 AM
Like;
PlasmaCam
Samson
Tourchmate
etc.
Thanks
Bill

No, but I have worked with CAD software and CNC routers in a cabinet/furniture shop. I now do graphic design (web/print)and I use Adobe Illustrator daily and it will export AutoCAD files from the native Illustrator or EPS vector paths. These are a series of 2D files stacked for semi 3D effect. Illustrator provides a precise tool to create line drawings. Settings accurate curves and effects is unbelievable. There's no reason it shouldn't be a good tool to have in a CNC operation. Aside from the cost, but compared to a full AutoCAD pack it's a steal. Available for Mac and PC. Did I mention I love Illustrator?

RS

I looked at illustrator, not sure it's what I'm looking for, and not sure I knew WHAT I was looking at LOL.
As far as price it is about 1500.00 less that what I'm working with on trial, wish it would work.