News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

The Silence Of The Clones...

Started by OilCanMarkus, December 06, 2009, 09:06:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OilCanMarkus

I'm getting to love my 1125 1.4 liter "Single Lung", but boy does she breath heavy!!!  ;)  I've experimented with different air cleaners on the intake and "heavy duty" mufflers on the exhaust, but she's determined to clank and puff as loud as ever...   Thoughts that have come to mind:  A concrete bunker (not practical), a large diameter 12' long black pipe exhaust line (wound with many turns of 1/4" copper tubing as a heat exchanger for my radiant floor), and...

Putting the air cleaner/intake manifold inside a 55 gallon drum lined with mineral fiber padding (and adequate vent holes for air intake) to baffle the intake noise.  Of course there is the constant clanging of the mechanical engine parts, so this whole contraption is going to be put in a shed about 50' from the house.  (There goes the radiant heat concept...)

Has anyone come up with ways to quiet the intake, exhaust, and mechanical noise of these units?  I'd love to put  a DIY/KISS heat exchanger on the exhaust (besides using the heat from the coolant lines), but the engine/gen head would have to be closer to the house to make use of the heat practical...

veggie

Quote from: OilCanMarkus on December 06, 2009, 09:06:30 AM
Has anyone come up with ways to quiet the intake, exhaust, and mechanical noise of these units?  I'd love to put  a DIY/KISS heat exchanger on the exhaust (besides using the heat from the coolant lines), but the engine/gen head would have to be closer to the house to make use of the heat practical...

Hi OilCan,

Eventually all Changfa owners arrive at the same place you are at.
The problem becomes one of expense and/or space.
Throw a lot of money at it and you can probably make it bearable.(ie: Sound  attenuating walls with baffled openings, brick building  etc...).
On a lower budget , it may take up a lot of space (ie: barrels underground, car mufflers, dog house lined with foam).
I think we all know what could be done to make a considerable difference, however I have not yet seen anyone put it into practice. Hopefully as each of us Changfa users finds new ways of attacking this issue, it will be shared here.

Keep us posted of any progress you make,
Cheers,
Veggie

vdubnut62

Just wondering, anybody tried a 30lb propane tank before or after the muffler on one of these critters?
Actually my 1100 ain't that loud, BUT I haven't tried to live with it for an extended length of time either. And I'm kinda hard of hearing
Too many over the road diesels for too many years.
Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

mbryner

Don't know about Changfas but a propane tank muffler sure works great on a 6/1.
JKson 6/1, 7.5 kw ST head, propane tank muffler, off-grid, masonry stove, thermal mass H2O storage

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temp Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Ben Franklin, 1775

"The 2nd Amendment is the RESET button of the US Constitution"

vdubnut62

Yep, I was thinking expansion chamber, probably before the muffler.
Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

veggie

Here's one inside a building.....
Outside noise seems quite bearable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8a2iONNlP0

veggie

OilCanMarkus

Thanks all for the suggestions and the video link!  With the unheated shop and temperatures around 12 degrees, I'm going to be doing a lot more exploring on the web than I will be tinkering with the engine.  I'll keep everyone posted, either in the Spring, or if I put in a heater for the shop!   ;D

mobile_bob

get er hot enough and you will have no problem getting it dropped on, and have a couple seconds to spare
to rotate it into perfect alignment.

i personally don't think 450 degree's F is enough, but that is me

folks get worried about loosing temper in the gear, lets take a look at what happens if that is truely the case

even at 600-650 it will still have similar hardness to a leaf spring, and the teeth will only be tougher than if they
were much harder anyway.

let the cam gear be the hard one of the pair, generally two work together better and longer if one is softer than
the other anyway.

we commonly heat mid and heavy truck flywheel starter ring gears till they are full dark purple and they fall right
on and will spin easily for a couple seconds or so, till it can cool enough to shrink back down.

a starter drive is much more abusive to gear teeth that the cam will ever be and there is no lubrication at all
save for applications with wet clutches as used in forklifts.

just heat it up, slip in on and twist it into alignment, if everything is prepped properly it isn't a major issue
the biggest problem i have seen is the lack of enough heat and they having to beat the thing to death getting it
back off after nearly ruining it trying to get it on in the first place.

i will bet a dollar to a dog turd that the indians heat/drop/rotate into position the gears at the crankshaft factory

never seen any pictures of any indian assemblers installing these gears, from my understanding they come from
the crankshaft manufacture already installed.

i wonder why that is?

maybe they have seen the boy tee'in off with the 16lb sledge hammer driving in giib keys

can you imagine what that gear would look like in his capable hands?  likely bloodied all to hell, and a bent crankshaft
would be the result.

bob g

ps. this is the sort of followup post you end up doing when you get old, and distracted!
so for those following this thread,

in the immortal words of gilda   "NEVERMIND"

:)

vdubnut62

Uh Mobile_Bob, you're on the changfoid muffler thread!  ::)
it's OK I got CRS too! ;D
KIDDING!
Ron

mobile_bob

that is just hysterical!

i have no clue how i got that crossposted on the board,

i guess i will just delete it!

lmao

bob g

Dail R H

Oh no Bob,please don't . Just serve to remind us all ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

veggie

OilCanMarcus,

You can run your engine in the garage and have very little outside noise if you add a good muffler and route the exhaust outside.
Further noise reduction can be achieved if you drop the engine speed.
Of course, there is a penalty to pay in the amount of kw's you can develop.

veggie