News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Can we get a section for hot air engines?

Started by clytle374, December 01, 2009, 10:34:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clytle374

Been looking into hot air engines quite bit recently.  Kinda getting back to building my model now that winter time indoor projects season is here.

Thinking I'd like to get off grid and researching the options.  Solar is expensive and I live in a hole valley.  Wind is expensive and I live in a hole valley.  Hydro is a legal nightmare that I can't unravel, yet mostly consistent power source.  Growing and harvesting enough oil stock is problematic and expensive.

So I keep coming back to sterling engines, we already heat with wood and have plenty of it.  I know they aren't the power houses that diesel and gas engines are, but I'm starting to give them serious consideration for a power source.  While the Listeroid is still running like a champ when needed, the world that its fuel comes from seems to be knocking like it might 'throw a rod'. 

I could get by with a few horsepower.  I know some of the very large ones were about that powerful.  I looked endlessly on the Internet to see if any were for sale, and found some http://www.prestonservices.co.uk/hotair.htm.  Then I got an email from them.

QuoteThank you for your email.
We have the following hot air engines for sale, all  prices in GB pounds sterling (approx exchange rate USD1.65 = GBP1.00)

1.  Rider Eriscsson 8"  GBP9,500
2.  Rider improved  8"    GBP11,500
3.   Rider Ericsson `10"  GBP14,000
4.  Rider improved  8"  GBP14,000
5.  Rider improved  10"   GBP16,000

We regularly ship to USA which is both relatively simple and inexpensive.
Look forward to hearing from you again.

Best regards,

:o
And other thoughts or sources of information out there?  Seems like a heck of a DIY project.

admin

sure why not?

wouldn't hurt to have some discussion on sterling as well as steam engine's in my opinion

so have fun with the new board!

admin

dubbleUJay

I 2nd for a this as some of us, (me ;) ) don't have anything viable to do with my Lister exhaust heat!

I only run it for backup power and harvesting the heat for water or "house" heating is not viable as we have a very moderate ambient temperature all year around.

If I can generate electricity with the exhaust heat, by all means, but the costs involved are going to be the killing factor IMHO.
dubbleUJay
Lister  - AK - CS6/1 - D - G1 - LR1 -
http://tinyurl.com/My-Listers

rcavictim

"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.