News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Exhaust gas temperatures 6/1

Started by veggie, November 30, 2009, 10:49:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

veggie

Has anyone measured exhaust temperatures at various distances from the head on a 6/1 ?

To put it another way, I plan to mount a muffler in a 2" pipe which will be approx. 4 ft. from the exhaust port.
What can expect the gas temp. to be at the muffler under full load?

Cheers,
Veggie

mobile_bob

i am guessing maybe 450 degree's F. 4 ft downpipe from the head
from a 6/1 depending on load, and back pressure of the muffler and whether
you wrap the header pipe or not.

there are other factors such as cam valve overlap and god knows what that
might be on any indian engine without measuring it, more overlap will  allow more
airflow which will cool the exhaust a bit.

my changfa 195 at full load gets to about 640 degrees F at about 1" out from the port.

fwiw, not much i know

but i gotta ask, "why do you ask?"

bob g

veggie

Hi Bob,

I am ready to run my exhaust system through the wall and outside the garage.
My engine is "'soft" mounted so it does shake a bit. (I need some flex)
After a run of 4 to 5 ft of 2" pipe (including a muffler) I'm thinking of using a 1 ft. - 2 ft. section of auto shop exhaust flex hose before connecting to the rigid pipe that goes through the wall.
The rubberized hose is rated to 600f intermittent.
If the gasses were in the range of 300 f, I would feel confident using it.

This is the stuff....

http://www.crushproof-hose.com/garage-exhaust-hose.html

Here is a picture the proposed exhaust sustem on my 6/1.
The muffler discharge would be connected to the short run of flex pipe.

Veggie

BigGreen

I used something like this for the isolation. Mine was made by Walker. The local muffler shop had it in stock :)

http://www.ecplaza.net/tradeleads/seller/3807313/supplying_auto_exhaust.html

BruceM

My Listeroid is only semi-soft mounted, not too much movement.

I used the same type of corrogated stainless steel flex section as Big Green, which I found on ebay, between the exhaust elbow up to near the wall. I think it was 16" long.  It did the job and has held up just fine.

I went through the wall with 2" exhaust pipe, with the wall hole lined with 3" galvenized duct, and the space between exhaust pipe and 3" duct filled sealed with self adhesive high temp silicone gasket strip.  (McMaster.com).

veggie

Quote from: BigGreen on November 30, 2009, 02:52:06 PM
I used something like this for the isolation. Mine was made by Walker. The local muffler shop had it in stock :)

http://www.ecplaza.net/tradeleads/seller/3807313/supplying_auto_exhaust.html

Interesting...
The problem with the metal braided flex lines is that I have not found one that is flexible enough.
Did yours offer 1/2 inch of easy flex? or was it tough to bend?

veggie

veggie

I did come across this fellow who recorded 300 to 350 deg. f at full load on a 10HP petter.

http://www.veglisteroidnz.co.nz/veglisteroidnz/10_hp_petteroid.html

Veggie

BruceM

Under that stainless braid cover is corrugated stainless.  For more flexibility, go with a longer piece.  I think you'd be fine with 1/2" on an 18" piece or better.  I just looked and no US seller is offering them now on Ebay.

The reinforced rubber I just don't know about, might be great, but I don't know how long it would hold up.

Ronmar

I think the highest I have measured at approx 1" from the head is 640F.  Not sure how much that would drop in 4'.   4' of 1.5" pipe would have about 225 SQ/IN of surface area, but I am not exactly sure how much heat that would shed...
Ron
"It ain't broke till I Can't make parts for it"

bschwartz

I just checked with a $50 harbor freight infrared unit.  372 at the exhaust manifold (OK, it's a single, so it's more of a coupling) with a 2600 watt load.  I go through an insulated propane tank expansion chamber and about a foot after that I had a max temp of 269.
- Brett

Metro 6/1, ST-5 - sold :(
1982 300SD
1995 Suburban 6.5 TD
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 TD
1950s ? Oilwell (Witte) CD-12 (Behemoth), ST-12
What else can I run on WVO?
...Oh, and an old R-170

billswan

My 10/1 hit 605 degrees close to the port running at 6200 watts and blowing black smoke, FULL load +, would not think of using it that way just saying it will do it for a short run.

Billswan

16/1 Metro DI at work 900rpm and 7000watts

10/1 Omega in a state of failure

veggie

Quote from: bschwartz on November 30, 2009, 09:06:59 PM
I just checked with a $50 harbor freight infrared unit.  372 at the exhaust manifold (OK, it's a single, so it's more of a coupling) with a 2600 watt load.  I go through an insulated propane tank expansion chamber and about a foot after that I had a max temp of 269.

Thanks for taking the time to check with your IR heat gauge.
That's about 85% loaded for you engine.

Cheers,
Veggie

BruceM

Jens said:
"Bruce, the rubber hose that Veggie is referring to is not reinforced or at least I have never seen the reinforced version."

In his original post, Veggie posted a link with a picture of a rubber hose with a steel wound reinforcement so we'd know just what he was thinking of.  You must not have read his post.

The corrugated stainless with braid flex unit I have is not too stiff for 1/2" of movement laterally (side to side), though certainly longer than 18" would be better.

veggie

To clarify,

The link I posted shows reinforced hose and non-reinforced hose.
The only version I have been able to find in Canada is the Non- reinforced hose.
(Lucky for me it 4 blocks from where I work).
From our discussions and also from the data found on the web, I think I will go ahead an install a short 1ft. section as a vibration isolator. We'll see what happens.
The place I found it (NAPA) is willing to sell it to me by the foot so a this will be an inexperiment.

Veggie

cognos

I don't know, I've had plenty of inexperiments go wrong...

(just kidding... ;D)