Gasoline engines running on Kerosene

Started by Henry W, May 20, 2022, 09:46:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry W

Some members are following a build that I started. It's going to be a small genset that will be able to run on gasoline, kerosene and hopefully jet fuel. Some are wondering if this can actually work, and the answer is, yes. But it has to be an engine that has a compression of 6.5 to 1 or lower. And a carborator that has fuel  mixture adjusting screws for ease of adjusting the fuel mixture.

Briggs and Stratton and other major small engine manufacturers offered engines that operate on kerosene. There are some old documents stating that the compression can be lowered by using two head gaskets. Kerosene spark ignition engines have been around for a long time.

I remember quite a few years back reading about kerosene engines from the 70's and 80's. The fuel tanks had dual chambers. The gasoline chamber was small. Gasoline was used to heat the engine up. Once heated the engines fuel valve was switched to  kerosene.

At one time kerosene was only pennies  compared to gasoline. And this was a reason these engines were around.

The engine I have is a military 1A08 variant. The engine is an overhead valve with 6 to 1 compression ratio. The carb has a valve to switch to heated air that comes from the shroud  that encases the cylinder and muffler. I feel this will work fine. But, instead of going by theory, why not try it out. And this is my plan.

The purpose of this build is to have a genset that is able to run on different fuels or blends if times get very hard. And, I hope this will never happen.

Here is a clip of a person that did a test. Some of the engines he tested had too high of compression and that resulted in engine knock. And, the carburetor did not have adjustable fuel mixture screws.

https://youtu.be/MTlNjRDOJ5E

Any members experience kerosene spark ignition engines? Please share your thoughts.

mike90045

Last year, kerosene was $15 gal at hardware store. For city folks lamps at the camp I guess.  No other sales of it around.  I've been using diesel in my lamps that keep the greenhouse and pump sheds warm.  Now diesel is close to $7 gal, and no red diesel ( red diesel gummed up the wicks anyway)

Henry W

::) Wow!!! I just priced kerosene at the fuel supplier where I buy diesel and propane and its $3.99 a gallon. Kerosene is cheaper than any gasoline in this area.

veggie

Quote from: Henry W on May 21, 2022, 05:30:04 AM::) Wow!!! I just priced kerosene at the fuel supplier where I buy diesel and propane and its $3.99 a gallon. Kerosene is cheaper than any gasoline in this area.

Buy lots !
It stores for years.
And if the time comes when you need it, there may not be any in the stores.

One advantage of that engine is that it's much quieter than a diesel.
It won't attract attention. Especially if you mount it in an insulated enclosure.

keith71

I thought about running my onan 4.occk on kerosene. It is a 1973 1800 rpm unit. Awesome gen set. with 5.5:1 comp ratio it would be a good for that. But Kerosene is now super expensive. Used to get it for $3.75 a gallon now it is over $5 like diesel.

I also dont see the advantage to running kerosene. It is not as easy to get as gasoline or diesel. Ia shtf scenario you would not find it anywhere.
Kubota D722
10HP Diesel Air cooled 186fa yanmar clone                                                         
12/2   Field Marshall CS Lister clone
 R170 Jiangdong  (needs some work)