News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Exhaust Length - how far can you go?

Started by Capt Fred, November 27, 2009, 06:43:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt Fred

Most of the year the wind carries my exhaust away from my neighbors so no problem.  Recently had a typhoon pass thru the area and with the change of wind direction exhaust was a bit of a bother for the neighbors (can't imagine why - smells like french fries)

Anyway, how far can I go and with what size pipe?  Ive the specs from lister on exhaust size but would like to go farther than listed in the book.

Cheers, Fred

BruceM

Fred- I wonder how effective an earth/leach field would be at cleaning up the stink???  From what I recall, at 2" you can go 24 feet  without a problem, after that you have to go larger.

Capt Fred

thanks gentlemen, I'll try the 4 inch over 60 feet and see what happens.

Oh Yeah, "Supertyphoon Nida" (cat 5 Hurricane) has made it's NorthWest recurve and should be slogging thru the Pacific Northwest in a week or so.

Thanks again, Cheers, Fred

dubbleUJay

Quote from: BruceM on November 27, 2009, 09:00:06 PM
I wonder how effective an earth/leach field would be at cleaning up the stink???

I have to ask, never heard of the expression "Earth/leach field" ???
dubbleUJay
Lister  - AK - CS6/1 - D - G1 - LR1 -
http://tinyurl.com/My-Listers

BruceM

Sorry, WJ, I was too cryptic.  Earth mufflers have been used by some Lister/oid owners, for the ultimate in quiet exhaust.

An earth muffler- stick your exhaust into a buried expansion tank (drum), with a perforated  outlet pipe feeding a similar to septic leach-field line (3" gravel or cinders in a buried ditch).  A riser goes at the end of the leachfield. 

By occasionally pouring in water and a nitrogen source, bacterial will eat the toxics, though you wouldn't want to do this with a very shallow water table. 

I just don't know how well it would clean up the air, but certainly some.

dubbleUJay

Thanks Bruce, now those I know!
I thought you (being electrically minded) had some EARTH cct that somehow trapped particles magnetically or someting! ::)
Just shows you were my mind sometimes wonder too! ;)
dubbleUJay
Lister  - AK - CS6/1 - D - G1 - LR1 -
http://tinyurl.com/My-Listers