News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Fuel Filter Element, S195

Started by hikerjohnson, October 24, 2021, 02:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hikerjohnson

Hi folks,

I just picked up a fairly clean Chang Chai S195 this past weekend, it's almost all there, except for its fuel filter element.  I understand there are two common types of element, one with a large and small hole, and one with equal sized holes in the element ends.  Can anyone give me some guidance on how to tell which one my filter casing takes?

Further, I see a few places I can buy these elements, but I don't need 20, or a shipping container full; any decent current recommendations? 

veggie

Yes, I've had good luck ordering single items from AliExpress.
The filters are of all kinds are reasonably priced.

Good luck

Tom Reed

I've ordered a few things from them for my nm195 with good results. Just watch shipping costs.
Ashwamegh 6/1 - ST5 @ just over 4000 hrs
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

playdiesel

Hi, there is a standardized filter element that MOST of those 195 engines use.  I keep them in stock in Ohio. Here are some pics of what I keep here. The holes on both ends are the same. It should be obvious if your canister uses a different element. The top end must seal to the head and the bottom hole must also be sealed. Been just long enough since I replaced the element in my generator that I don't have firm details but I believe that there is a rubber washer up top in the head and the bottom is sealed by same washer  with a steel back up. There is also a rubber ring that seals the canister. I have a few customers who run these engines a lot and all of them have been switched over to a RACOR filter in line and the OEM housing is left empty. For intermittent use it is fine. PM me if you are interested in elements.
Fume and smoke addict
electricly illiterate

hikerjohnson

Thank you for the photos, I'm pretty sure that's the right filter.  Does a new one come with the top and bottom seals?  All I have is the big O-ring for the filter canister to the top casting.  Alternately, do you or anyone else have photos of how it goes together and what the seals look like?  I can probably make/scrounge something appropriate.

I want to hang onto the original filter so I don't have to take the trouble to re-do the fuel lines just yet.

playdiesel

No seals are with the elements. I can remove the filter from mine and take a look inside.  It may be a day or two before I get that done.
Fume and smoke addict
electricly illiterate

hikerjohnson

That'd be great, thank you.  No rush on my end.

hikerjohnson

Took some photos and measurements;

Bowl ID: 61mm

Upper spigot: 26mm

Bowl shank: 12mm

Max filter height: approx 65mm

playdiesel

Ok, your engine either had the element with a smaller hole in one end or some pieces have been lost. Attached picture shows what is under the element in my engine. All of it can be replicated close enough with a trip to a hardware store, couple flat washers, spring, rubber washers. The bottom end must be sealed to both the element and the center part, the spring holds everything against the base.
Fume and smoke addict
electricly illiterate