News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Dometic RM2652 refrigerator / freezer started leaking ammonia.

Started by Henry W, August 29, 2021, 07:35:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry W

Edited 8/30/2021: Corrected subject typo errors.

I got up early on 8/24/2021 @ 5am to handle some business before it got too hot outside and while having breakfast I started smelling ammonia. I thought to myself that I don't carry any ammonia cleaner because a small amount puts me in a dangerous asthmatic state.  I opened the outside door and their was no ammonia odor outside and then I realized that the refrigerator developed a leak.  I immediately opened windows and turned on all vent fans to get rid of the ammonia gas and then went to get tools to remove the refrigerator. When I came back approximately 30 minutes later I opened the door and my eyes started burning from the ammonia. Unfortunately I took one small breath and I immediately ran away from the place. I had to get my inhaler because I was put in a full blown asthma attack. I went to storage and got four fans and my carbon canister mask. I first opened all doors and placed two fans inside without putting myself at risk. Had one blowing fresh air in and the other one blowing out. 15 minutes went by and I put the carbon canister mask on and went in and realized that most of the gas is out. I got my my tools and started to remove the refrigerator/ freezer. When I removed the back access panel to unhook the gas line and electric I watched the Refrigerant leaking out and dripping on the shelf roughly one drip per second. that supports the refrigerator/freezer. It was soaking in the shelf. I quickly put down heavy plastic on the kitchen, dining area and entryway to prevent further contamination. The refrigerator/freezer was swiftly removed and disposed of immediately. The part of the shelf that had refrigeration on was also removed and disposed of.

After everything was cleaned up. I sat down and realized how lucky I was. If the leak happened when I was sleeping I might not be here today.

I decided that I am done with ammonia charged refrigerator/freezer's. Please look up ammonia toxicity. It does not take much to make someone seriously ill or kill someone.

I just purchased a replacement. It's the same cubic foot displacement and refrigerant is R600A. The new refrigerator/freezer is more efficient. It is not frost free so it has to be manually defrosted, and that is ok. I prefer this anyway. The new unit has a 1.3 amp rating @ 115 volt. The label says 80 running watts.  Overall, I like it. The total cost, including tax was $241.00 and some change at Sam's Club.

There are direct fit refrigerator/freezers that are 12 volt DC but they are way overpriced.  Normal starting price is around $1,000.00.

mobile_bob

sure glad you got out of there without having a real medical emergency!

look forward to how the new refer works for you.

bob g

Henry W

So far it's working very well. It does not run much and refer section seems to be keeping things cool without freezing food and drinks. The freezer section is very cold. I'll have to pick up a thermometer to get the true readings. When I first started it up, and once the refer reached temperature I noticed that there was a slight noise from the sides. It was faint but I could hear it. This evening I pealed off the plastic protective sticky wrap off the top and sides and the noise is barely audible. Once the refer is in place the chances are I might not hear the noise at all.

Friday will be the day when I will start modifying the cabinet so I can install and secure the refer in place.  This refer needs some space on the sides and top for convection cooling of the condenser coils. There is plenty of room and it should work fine.

The refer will be secured in place by aluminum angle stock mounted on the top and bottom. Existing holes will be used so no drilling is required.

Henry W

Tom Reed

Ashwamegh 6/1 - ST5 @ just over 4000 hrs
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

Henry W

Absolutely, this experience has taught me how dangerous ammonia is and I will not have any ammonia charged system of any type in a living space. It's not worth the risk.

Henry W

Update:
Since the installation of the new refrigerator I have not defrosted it. I thought it would have to be done bi-monthly. No issues at all. It freezes and cools as it should, and its quiet.

Henry