we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

solar is getting cheap!

Started by mobile_bob, August 02, 2021, 06:38:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mobile_bob

i haven't looked into solar panels for years
last evening i checked ebay and there are several sellers selling used panels

now they are used, and reported to still put out 80% of new panels, however old panels put out power for years and years
even if reduced.

now i see them listed at 20 cents per watt!  (pallet of 20) plus freight (or a trip to pickup)

i need to re roof my house, now i am thinking these panels might be cheaper than shingles!

:)

what a time to be alive!  just wish i was more able bodied.

i remember 20 odd years ago thinking that to build my place i might be able to afford 500 watts worth of panels,
now 500 watts is what?  100 bucks plus shipping?  coffee money for a month or so?

bob g

Henry W

Looks like solar is becoming more cost effective. It looks like I need to start looking into it more. I might be able to get away with 6 panels.
During the summer months I would need a generator to keep the batteries charged on peak demand. I can see another project could be in the works in the future.

Henry W

Last knight and through early morning I've been looking at ways to mount solar panels on the Camping trailer and it seems that the best solution would be making an adjustable bracket that can be folded up. I have a thick 4x4 square tube bumper that will hold an array of panels. I am thinking that the panel  array can be made to fold up on the back bumper when not in use. I was originally thinking of roof mounting, but wind shear could be an issue.

This could be future project.

Henry W

It would be nice if roll up panels can be made made to work like  an awning on an RV or camper trailer.

Tom Reed

Are you trying to power the AC on the RV with Solar? If it were my trailer, I'd l put the stick on panels for the base loads and then use a generator for the times where the AC is needed.
Ashwamegh 6/1 - ST5 @ just over 4000 hrs
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

Henry W

The trailer has 120 / 30 amp service. All the lights, furnace blower and fresh water pump are 12 volt dc. The water heater and refrigerator/ freezer  are dual. 120 / propane. All 12 volt is tied into a converter. The 12 volt draw is not much. At one time I was thinking of converting the Trailer to a 24 volt system. But this would be a large expense to convert all 12 volt dependent  equipment to 24 volt.

I would think it would be best to keep all dc dependent equipment to 12 volt.

It's the ac unit, microwave, electric water heater element that are the heavy loads.

Im not sure how I'm going to proceed. As you said use a generator for the heavy ac loads. I might be able to get away with two or three solar panels to take care of 12 volt lights and equipment.

Henry W

Quote from: Tom Reed on August 03, 2021, 10:01:23 AM
If it were my trailer, I'd l put the stick on panels for the base loads and then use a generator for the times where the AC is needed.

Tom,
I overlooked the part about stick on panels. I'm overdue for new glasses. A good amount of the time I'm having quite a time proofing what I write and then having to go back and correct the errors later.

Your correct, stick on panels is the way to go for my application. It would save lots of time and money. I did not even think about stick on panels. Thanks for bringing it up.