News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Drilled valve guides?

Started by cgwymp, November 22, 2009, 01:57:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cognos

Why Mobil 1?

Why not just regular motor oil? In this application, I can't see why the synthetic would be any better... it's just oil, after all.

(I've got nothing against Mobil 1 - or any other synthetic oil - it's actually the best oil ever made, and outperforms conventional oil in many ways under adverse or severe conditions - but in most applications, regular motor oil will do for a lot less money!)

Crofter

Glad to hear that there are some guides that are drilled and that I wasnt maybe remembering something that never happened. I think I may consider semi plugging my holes in the guides when I next have it apart. Right now it ain't broke so I wont "fix" it. I remember an old chev ohv motor that had no oil up to the top but had a big felt blanket sitting on top of rockers and shaft that got oiled every time oil was added to the filler cap. Probably about a 1928 model that was refit into an old tractor.

I do have a set of plain rod bearings from John F and want to do the hollow dipper mod plus mesh the timing gears a bit deeper and will rethink the valve guide lubing then.
Frank

10-1 Jkson / ST-5

12gauge

My Ashwamegh 6-1 has the drilled guides and sucks it's resevoirs dry in about an hour of running.  I plan to plug the holes sometime.  In the meentime, I have some cotton string for wicking wrapped around the exposed part of the valve stem.  I don't fill the resevoirs but just oil the rockers and etc. and what runs down is enough to keep the wicks wet.
RH