News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Serpentine drive off flywheel?

Started by WGB, November 19, 2009, 03:25:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WGB

Has anybody done this?
Should work if you have your tracking dialed in!
I think I'd like to do this;

I have a 4" 150lbs pipe flange  7.5" OD I may turn into a pulley with bushing for the generator head.

Flange 7.5" x gen head RPM 3600=47,700 divided by od of flywheel 13.25 = 2038 RPM on engine

mike90045

I doubt a pipe flange (4", 150lb ??) will last as a pulley, likely too cheap of metal, and funky voids and welded seam. Couple hundred hours, I can see it fatiguing and coming apart.

(speaking only of the recent IP fittings I've seen at home despot)

veggie

An ANSI 150# flange is most likely carbon steel and of good quality.
If it was cast iron, it would be rated at 125#.

Are you intending on machining 6 grooves into the flange parameter to accept a serpentine belt.?
I haven't checked the dimensions, but the flange may not be wide enough to accommodate the belt width.

Veggie

dubbleUJay

Quote from: mike90045 on November 19, 2009, 07:28:35 PM
I doubt a pipe flange (4", 150lb ??) will last as a pulley, likely too cheap of metal, and funky voids and welded seam. Couple hundred hours, I can see it fatiguing and coming apart.

I also thought he was talking about pounds (weight) ???
Obviously pressure lb/sqI or a IndStd number after reading Veggie's post.
dubbleUJay
Lister  - AK - CS6/1 - D - G1 - LR1 -
http://tinyurl.com/My-Listers

WGB

Veggie is right, flange is very good quality steel.
I was planning on 6 grooves in the flange edge, should be just enough width.
Kind of a hair brain idea, I have some flanges, and wanted to try turning it in to a bushed pulley.
Also my pulley on the ST / Listeroid gen set is cast, as is the Listeroids flywheel.

veggie

WGB,

If you can get it work, using the flywheel OD as a pulley is a much simpler way of achieving the 3600 rpm head speed.
On one of my Changfa's I used the OD of the flywheel to drive an industrial serpentine "Poly-V" belt. (Different groove spacing than auto serpentine belts).
The sheaves for these are available in many sizes and can be sourced from a power transmission supplier.
In my case I chose the "J" belt with 6 grooves. The J series can easily accommodate your HP (7.5).
My required belt length was 73" so the part number was 730J6.
"730" = 73.0 long
"J" = pitch spacing of the grooves
"6" = number of grooves.

Here's the good part. The serpentine belts cost me $17 each from the local power trans./bearing shop.
I think the matching sheave (Browning) c/w taper lock bushing to fit the Voltmaster head was about $90.

The pulleys are labeled in much the same way.
In your case a 7.5" pulley would be something like 7.5JP (7.5", J belt, "P1" bushing)

It's unlikely you will find the exact OD pulley so be aware that you may need to alter the engine speed by +/-100 rpm to get the right gen head speed.

Hope this helps,
veggie

XYZER

I am going down the same path. I have a listeroid with 22.5" dia flywheels and want to run a Leece Neville 160 amp 12v alternator at around 5000rpm. A 3" pulley put it in around 4,800 rpm. To keep things simple and not have to make a pulley I found a "J" type can be ordered with no problem. http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/115/1041/=4l3vny
Do you think the 6 rib is good enough for this application? It seems small (.552" wide) but we are only talking 6 hp.
Vidhata 6/1, Power Solutions 6/1, Kubota Z482

veggie

Quote from: XYZER on November 20, 2009, 08:41:11 AM
I am going down the same path. I have a listeroid with 22.5" dia flywheels and want to run a Leece Neville 160 amp 12v alternator at around 5000rpm. A 3" pulley put it in around 4,800 rpm. To keep things simple and not have to make a pulley I found a "J" type can be ordered with no problem. http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/115/1041/=4l3vny
Do you think the 6 rib is good enough for this application? It seems small (.552" wide) but we are only talking 6 hp.

WGB & XYZER,

xyzer, if you are driving the alternator with a lister 6/1 then I would suggest adding a service factor to account to the low frequency power pulses. Perhaps a X1.5 or X2 factor. You may find that the J is still ok.
I could only find "J" pulley's in 6 grooves.

This link is to some technical info.

http://www.gates.com/brochure.cfm?brochure=2911&location_id=3488

Below is the .pdf file for the horsepower selection chart.

cheers,
Veggie

WGB

Thanks for all the info!
I'm back to reading and research!
Back when I started I said I wanted to go as cheap as I could like HF head.
Now it looks like I'm going in the other direction.

veggie

WGB,

I had the belt guard off my 195 today so I snapped a couple of pictures to address your questions about driving a gen head off the Changfa flywheel. In this case, I put the flywheel on a lathe and skimmed a few thou. to clean it up.
Hope this helps,

Veggie

<<< click picture to enlarge >>>

WGB

Quote from: veggie on December 22, 2009, 08:40:05 PM
WGB,

I had the belt guard off my 195 today so I snapped a couple of pictures to address your questions about driving a gen head off the Changfa flywheel. In this case, I put the flywheel on a lathe and skimmed a few thou. to clean it up.
Hope this helps,

Veggie

<<< click picture to enlarge >>>

Thanks Veggie!
  I just started working on that project again.
I'm doing v sheaves to get it up and running for now, long term I'll do the serpentine belts.
I'll send a couple pics tonight or tomorrow.
Do you have all the generator units you show?
Do you sell them?
What do you do with all of them if you still have them?
WGB

veggie

Funny ! my wife asks me the exact same questions  ;D
The lister will become a full time worker when the Co-gen system is completed.
The Changfa is intended for a rural greenhouse power system.

veggie

WGB

WGB

I did a fast adapter, the brass spacers are milled flat to lock in to the flywheel dogs.
Sheave is rock solid.

WGB