News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

We finally did it!

Started by Henry W, March 06, 2017, 09:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry W

It's been over a year and we are enjoying life more than ever.  Total expenses for lot rent and utilities in wake county NC is $5,700.00.  It is great not having to pay County and city taxes. We have never been able to save so much. I must say we never felt so free. We are not bound down like we were when owing a home. We can travel anyplace any time .
We feel less stress in life and can enjoy doing things we only dreamed about before we transitioned in our style of living. Will be posting more soon.

glort

I'm more than happy to own. Can do what I want, have my home the way I want it and since moving into our new house not even 9 Months ago the property value has increased nearly $300K thanks to the desirability of the area and limited propertys available.
Stats just came out that it is the more desired are in the country. Lucky we saw the writing on the wall there.

We are looking at buying a 2nd home as an investment property.  I'll let someone else pay it off so when my wife and I are gone, we'll have something substantial to leave our Daughter. Dont want her to have to fork out every week to make someone else's kids better off than she is. In this day and age one can't get anywhere in life without having some bricks and mortar to leverage against further financial growth.

Henry W

Wake County NC has zoning set in place where it makes it difficult to do things as you want like we were used to years ago.Gentrification and eminent domain is running rapid in wake county and most people that lived here for generations can no longer afford living here. taxes are so high, and being being forced to hook up to city utilities is forcing most to sell because of the price to pay for hook up. And the government will force you to sell so they can continue to change the city the way they like to see it.
The rich devels from north east been coming down  belly aching
that they want things changed to their liking and have no respect for natives. They come with their money and feel they can do what they want. North Raleigh used to be such a peaceful place to live and raise a family. One thing I do love is hearing the Roosters going at it all day long. The people that owne them are outside of city limits. Some rich devels came over to me and ask if I want to sign a petition to stop such madness. I laughed and said you all moved to the wrong place and I love the noise of the Roosters from early morning till evening.
I have no respect for the rich devels coming down to change the way we live.

LowGear

We have chickens.  Visitors ask how I can stand the chickens, especially at dawn or a bit before?  I reply "What chickens"?

Henry W

I love it! After a while you don't pay attention to them.

The simple life as it should be, life is good.

mobile_bob

my neighbors across the street have at last count between 21 and 27 weiner dogs, and i get that a lot
"how can you stand all that barking?"

my response?

what barking!

after a while you don't hear them anymore, and after a bit longer the little buggers could give a hoot
whether i am around or not.

as long as they stay in their yard and don't come over in groups of 2 or more, i am ok with them.

bob g

vdubnut62

Holy Crap!! 21 or 27 weiner dogs!!!!!!! I would lose my mind. Chickens on the other hand are very productive and mostly quiet animals. Well, I do have seven out in the yard, and  five guineas, so am I biased?
Ron.
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

Derb

Our neighbours in front have 2 little chiuaua (or some such spelling ::) and they go non-stop. I have always figured the other surrounding folk will sort it out. She (over the fence) was having a yarn the other day and spotted our 3 Cavalier King Charles Spaniels (doncha-know) and exclaimed she hadn't been aware we had dogs! I replied we brought dogs we knew wouldn't annoy the neighbours  :D.
Derb.
Kawerau
Bay of Plenty
New Zealand
Honda EU20i
Anderson 2 HP/Fisher & Paykel PM conversion
Anderson 3.5 HP
Villiers Mk20
Chinese 6500 watt single phase 4 stroke

Henry W

It's been a busy few weeks. Hurricane Florence has come and gone and we are fine. The first thing we did was hitch up and moved the trailer to an open area with higher elevation with no trees. The next thing was we ran  the back wheels of the Xterra on ramps to raise the back end so the inverter generator could be placed under on a platform for protection. Winds got up to around 60 mph briefly but calmed down quickly. We did get lots of rain and there was flooding but nothing like they got near Wilmington NC. We lost power for just over 30 hours. The small Yamaha 1000 watt inverter generator ran the whole time. We only used just over 1-1/2 gallons of gas. We switched over to propane for the water heater and we ran the refrigerator on propane half the time. Everything is cleaned up and put back in place and life is back to normal.  We pray for everyone that was not as fortunate and hope they can get their life back on track as quickly as possible.
Henry

LowGear

Sounds great.  I first thought when I saw your new post you might be writing from the mouth of some river where your trailer landed when the water subsided. 

I was thinking that if someone with 27 weiner dogs moved in next door you could do the same thing and not need a realtor, banker and attorney to do so.

Almost worth mentioning.  Your lot rent includes taxes.  If you're keeping your habitat licensed your also paying taxes there as well.  Modest living has so many upsides and taxes so low you don't notice them is one of the nice realizations.

At 74 I'm starting to think about down sizing for the last quarter (positive thinking helps) of the game.  I don't know if I can do as big little as you but I really enjoy hearing about your wins.  Rant on brother.