Purchased a Changfa R165 watercooled diesel engine, question about flywheel play

Started by Jesse McB, December 03, 2016, 05:52:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

veggie

Quote from: Tom on January 01, 2021, 02:16:43 PM
Quote from: veggie on January 01, 2021, 09:32:04 AM

Thanks,
Yes, the prices are good.
I can get a cylinder sleeve for an R175 for $11.58

Thanks for that link. There is a nm195 that is running a hammer mill here and it is good to know where to find parts. How long does shipping usually take?

JesseB noted that they ship by EMS Courier and it takes around 10 days

Jesse McB

When you make the order they can ship out quick, but  it can take up to a week max till they have it ready, they request the parts from the manufacturer, the parts arrive at the warehouse, they weight them for shipping costs, if you requested they will send photos of the product before shipping to confirm it's what  you needed. Then they package and ship.   Usually when it's shipped EMS they may ask for import fees when arrival to your country, depending on the value of the package and country's import laws.  Usually for me it was like $20 for a decent order over $100. The quickest delivery from the day I made my purchase was about 8 days. With the pandemic things may be a little slower haha.
"There's nothing like the off grid isolated feeling"

R165 3HP Changfa
R170 4HP Yashida
EL-300-AR 4.5HP Kubota

Jesse McB

An update on the engine, it's been very cold here in Nova Scotia average  -14c   /  10F daily, and with no glow plugs I'm keeping her going non stop for over 9 days only to change oil every 4 days. I can shut her down for a while and cold start with a intake flame for heat but i feel to run her nonstop with no cold start will lengthen longevity by 2 fold, my guess though lol. The engine has 1600 hours and finally stopped burning oil, burns very clean the exhaust is basically invisible under load, smells nice and sweet like diesel should. I'm thinking keeping her going nonstop is better for it during cold weather so it's non wearing its self out under such freezing cold starts. I will be posting  a vidio link on YouTube, and trying to post some pics Aswell soon as possible. I think this engine I ovehauled is going to make a new record for the genuine Changfa R165 diesels. Anyone that has a true genuine of these smallest water cooled diesel in production I'll tell you they will last you a lifetime. The only problem i ever had is running out of fuel constantly and wrecking the o rings on the banjo bolts from constantly bleeding the lines, easy fix get a pack of copper rings. If anyone has anymore of these engines  for sale give me a ring lol. Really seriously...

R165 3HP Changfa
R170 4HP Yashida
EL-300-AR 4.5HP Kubota

Henry W

At low temperatures what weight oil are you using?
Are you using full synthetic oil?
Where you able to take readings on block, head and exhaust?

Very nice setup :)

Jesse McB

I'm using standard shell rotella 15w 40, im going to make the switch to full synthetic as it's finally broken in. I can't belive how long it takes for it to break in, I wanted to be sure it was fully ready for the switch, I know it's ready now. over 1500 hours. I'll have to figure how to post pictures and videos ASAP, I'm having a problem with the correct format but I'll figure it out! I'll post some info on the engine, pictures and YouTube links.

R165 3HP Changfa
R170 4HP Yashida
EL-300-AR 4.5HP Kubota

veggie

That little 165 is really doing well.
Is it mounted in a shed or generator building? or just a small dog house?
I assume it's main job is to keep the battery bank charged.
Running 24/7 must heat the engine room nicely  :D

Henry W

Jesse McB, I just remembered something. Some engine manufacturers do not recommend synthetic oil. It might be best to stay with a good conventional diesel oil.

Henry

veggie

Rotella T6 15-40 synthetic has proven to be an excellent lubricant for heavy duty diesel engines.
Good cold start properties too.
Here in the frigid north, it is the standard oil for Ford/International/Navistar Powerstroke engines.
Many use the Rotella T6 5-40 Oil in winter for it's cold start properties.
I run it in my Ford F250 diesel, my VW Jetta Diesel, and my changfa engines.

mobile_bob

you might also check with your local mack truck dealer

the reason i state this is based on the fact that mack built flat tappet engines long after everyone else built
roller tappet engines.

so i would expect that they still sell oil that is intended for flat tappet engines, like the changfa/listers and the "oids"

fair warning though
the mack oil is 15/40 which i would recommend for continuous use, but it is near black out of the jug and stinks bad!

but the mack engines ran long lives using the stuff.

if and when i get around to putting my changfa trigen (195) and its little brother cogen (175) i will be going to mack to buy the
nasty smelling stuff.

Henry and i discussed the synthetic issue, and he mentioned the question of whether or not the seals are made of a material that
would not degrade with a synthetic oil... that is a good question.

one i would be hesitant to find and answer to, at least empirically.

from what i think i read, the OP wrote that the 165 ran around 1600 hours before he figured it fully broke in and quit using oil
while i have a question as to why it took so long, i will leave that alone without comment, however

if the engine is now doing what it is expected to do, and not using oil or very little oil, then i wouldn't change to a synthetic.
changing to a mack 15/40 flat tappet spec oil shouldn't be a problem with consumption,  or seal leads, at least it shouldn't.

fwiw

bob g

btw, i would love to have gotten a truck load of electric start 165 engines when carol stream was selling them on ebay 15 plus years ago!

veggie

Bob,

What do you think is the black additive in that MAC oil ? Lithium perhaps?

Tom Reed

Ashwamegh 6/1 - ST5 @ just over 4000 hrs
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

Henry W

Most pictures are also split and shifted with different shades of colors.

Jesse McB

Hello everyone! I'm alive and well and I hope your all doing well! Is been sometime and I'm planning making a new thread on this R165 diesel within the next week!  Or maybe continue on this forever lasting thread lol?  Its been put away I think since 2021 with over 2200 hours, i did a tear down and never put it back together! Im planning showing pics of the wear and tear and build it back up with new parts just for the fun of it! I've acquired many new parts over the last few years, even found a valve seat cutter kit for the engine my reason for that purchased will be explained soon! I have some cool gear for the fuel system, a very simple self purging fuel system, many pics of interesting parts and gadgets coming soon!  ;)

R165 3HP Changfa
R170 4HP Yashida
EL-300-AR 4.5HP Kubota

Tom Reed

Ashwamegh 6/1 - ST5 @ just over 4000 hrs
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

keith71

Yes please post your experience in getting it running again.. Also if you know of a decent parts supplier for these little 165 and 170 engines, let us know.. I have a jiangdong R-170 that needs a few parts to get going again..  Good luck.
Kubota D722
10HP Diesel Air cooled 186fa yanmar clone                                                         
12/2   Field Marshall CS Lister clone
 R170 Jiangdong  (needs some work)