News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Water Pump on Metro 6/1

Started by Jedon, November 16, 2009, 04:20:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jedon

The bearing on my mechanical water pump nuked the bearing and after taking it apart I think I know why. When I was just getting the engine set up I used a hose to flood the water jacket and one time the water pressure was high enough to blow water out the water pump seals. It still seemed to work so I just went *whew* and moved on but when taking it apart I see that I got water into the sealed off bearing section of the pump which probably caused the bearing to rust and corrode. I got a new bearing and greased it up and got it running again but after about 6 hours it was running at 190F and I saw water leaking out of the bearing/pulley side of the pump so either I put it back together wrong or some rubber bits were damaged or something. So now what to do... I could try thermosyphon again now that I've improved the hoses a bit but it didn't work last time. I could get an electrical pump. Could maybe get a replacement mechanical pump? Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks!
-Jedon

veggie

Tea is ready (steaming.....wheeeeeew) :o

Jedon, I chose not to install the pump that came with my engine (same pump as yours).
Instead I went with a Bell & Gossett NRF-22 heating system circ pump (120 volt).
Costs about $115 and creates about 7 psi of circulation force at 7 gallons per minute.
Plenty of flow for my system.

http://www.bellgossett.com/productPages/Parts-NRF-22.asp

Veggie

Jedon

That pic is from when it went bad the first time and overheated. This time it was still working so it wasn't overheated, just leaking and water in the bearings isn't doing it any good!
I'm wondering if not having a pressure cap on my system is causing the water pressure to get too high when the water gets hot? I have the lid off my expansion tank but it's about 4ft above the hot outlet of the engine.

WGB

I can get you guys pumps reasonable.

Ronmar

Why use a pump when you don't have to...  Thermosiphon works.  You just need to plumb it with only 1 peak/high point in the system(at the radiator inlet) and a vent at that high point to get ALL the air out...  That and setup your fan so it pulls air thru ALL the radiator surface...

Ron
"It ain't broke till I Can't make parts for it"

XYZER

The Indian water pump if not attended will probably pi$$ you off. We (guys with little radiators) have a small volume of water there to be playin with and if any kind of leak occurs we get low on water fast. Then it will get hot fast...! The pumps were designed to circulate out of a ditch or something but if it leaked so what. If your set up needs a pump then I would get a good one. If you can thermosiphon...... No belt or pump.   
Vidhata 6/1, Power Solutions 6/1, Kubota Z482

Capt Fred

My indian pump has worked well, no problems, yet.  That being said I picked up a 12 volt Groco pump on ebay to install when the indian pump fails.  Still like the idea of a mechanical pump, maybe one of the smaller jabsco pumps - pricey but easy to work on.

fred

veggie

I have two concerns with the Surflo flojet pump.

1] It's plastic. So check the mfr's website and find out the max. operating temperature.

2] Continuous running. These pumps are usually meant to operate as a domestic water demand pump in RV's.
    Again, check the mfr's website and see if they can run continuous.

My guess is that it will fail on both accounts.

Cheers,
Veggie

Jedon

Does it matter what model of Taco pump I get? This one was cheapest, it would seem I would need a low pressure low volume pump but maybe the higher rated ones will work as well?

Ronmar

That pump is probably way overkill for flow.  One of these(search taco 006 on ebay) is what I use on my secondary loop and has plenty of capacity to move the required BTU.  220F is it's upper temp limit but this shouldn't be an issue if you put it on the cold water return side like the original pump was...  
http://www.taco-hvac.com/uploads/FileLibrary/100-1.7.pdf
Ron
"It ain't broke till I Can't make parts for it"

Jedon

Is overkill bad? Price wise the one I linked was only $16 where the cheapest 006 is $130

veggie

Jedon,

You can put a ball valve on the discharge side of the pump and throttle it to any flow rate you want.
(As long as you don't close it right off). Try to stay at 10% of full flow or greater.

Veggie