Witte Engine Corporation - microfilm technical library

Started by dieselgman, October 11, 2015, 08:45:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dieselgman

I have in my possession a significant volume (26 very long reels) of original microfilmed documents from Witte Engine Corp. - Kansas City. All microfilm dated January 3, 1968.
Included are 13 long 35mm reels of engineering drawings, service drawings, A B C and D current drawings.
Also included 10 long reels on 16mm covering parts, bills of materials, specifications, group numbers, engine models etc..
This appears to be some very significant coverage of the Witte technical history as it existed prior to January 1968.

I am aware that this material can be converted to digital or printed directly from the microfilm reels.

Any interested parties or suggestions?

dieselgman
Ford Powerstroke, Caterpillar 3304s, Cummins M11, Too many Listers to count.

dkeav

You might check with a walgreens or elsewhere that has a competent photo department, possibly a camera shop.  They may offer conversion services.

I've seen it done using about a $1200-$2000 film scanner at a library before, but that is about it.

Here is some information on process options.
http://www.andromeda.com/people/ddyer/photo/slide-transfer.html

vdubnut62

Well don't leave it around for the missus to find! Mine would think it was junk and it would "dissappear' FOREVER. When asked the reply-  Not a clue, haven't seen it, didn't touch it, just what film are you talking about.......... ::)
Ron.

I would be really nice to have access to a witte digital data base.  I assume it would be expensive to have it converted?
The guys here might be persuaded to kick in a few dollars.
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

Thob

Gary - how many images would you guess is on one reel?
Witte 98RC Gas burner - Kubota D600 w/ST7.5KW head.
I'm not afraid to take anything apart.
I am sometimes afraid I'm not going to get it back together.

BruceM

dieselgman

I took a look at some of it today at our local library... it is easily several thousand (maybe up to 10,000) drawings per reel. (I did not get one third of the way to the end of one reel in a couple hours at a steady clip.) As a parts engineering archive, it appears to have everything needed to reproduce any portion of the "current" engines (in the early 1960s). Very detailed and precise drawings and specifications for each part. Unfortunately, the collection seems to rely on an indexing system that I have no resources for deciphering... maybe lost to history now.

Typical reel markings as follows: Reel # 2 "A" Size Current Drawings    START: 47314545    END: 47390101,   "B" Size START: 10007   END: 11291

I am researching the costs of digital conversion including maybe finding a good scanner to use.

dieselgman
Ford Powerstroke, Caterpillar 3304s, Cummins M11, Too many Listers to count.