News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Power Outage

Started by Carlb, June 27, 2015, 12:52:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carlb

We had some very high straight line winds come through here on early Tuesday evening and a tornado warning (doesn't happen here in southern new jersey often) and it took out a lot of trees and power lines.  My neighbors trampoline who is about 400 yards away went through his vinyl fence and ended up in my back yard wedged against a large tree.   When I saw that I quickly got a large piece of rope and tied it to the tree so it wouldn't go any further.

Power went out at around 6pm on Tuesday and they didn't restore power until around noon Friday.  I am pleased to say that the Listeroid performed flawlessly averaging 14to 16 hours straight per day average load was only about 1700 to 1800 watts. 

My listeroid is a hybrid using diesel for pilot ignition and natural gas.   In the aproximatly 45 to 50 hours of run time it only used a little over three gallons of diesel,  I have no idea how much natural gas it used but who cares I didn't have to go find a open gas station that sold diesel since i normally keep 15 to 20 gallons on hand.

My Projects
Metro 6/1  Diesel / Natural Gas, Backup Generator  
22kw Solar in three arrays 
2.5kw 3.7 meter wind turbine
2 Solar Air heaters  Totaling 150 Sq/Ft
1969 Camaro 560hp 4 speed automatic with overdrive
2005 Infiniti G35 coupe 6 speed manual transmission

BruceM

You have a lovely setup, Carl!

Thob

Excellent!  That should increase the SAF (spousal approval factor).  Now is the time to buy the next big piece - the inverter, batteries, solar panels, backup to the backup generator, or whatever big power tool you need.  Don't put it off too long as SAF tends to fall off pretty quickly.
Witte 98RC Gas burner - Kubota D600 w/ST7.5KW head.
I'm not afraid to take anything apart.
I am sometimes afraid I'm not going to get it back together.

veggie

Carlb

Glad to hear that the unit did it's job when needed.
We stare at these things sitting idle in the garage or shed wondering if we will every justify the purchase.
Then one day out of the blue they become a necessity and make it all worthwhile.

Sounds like she did well ! Give her a polish and an oil change.  ;)

cheers,
veggie

Carlb

I had just did an oil change about 2 weeks before it had  to run it for 3 days.  The only thing I wish I could fix is the Idler gear noise.  It would be great if someone with the ability could make some.  I don't have any to turn the parts needed or i would have come up with something.
My Projects

buickanddeere

Quote from: Carlb on June 30, 2015, 11:49:03 AM
I had just did an oil change about 2 weeks before it had  to run it for 3 days.  The only thing I wish I could fix is the Idler gear noise.  It would be great if someone with the ability could make some.  I don't have any to turn the parts needed or i would have come up with something.

The offset idler bolt to reduce the slack or free play ?

Carlb

Quote from: buickanddeere on July 18, 2015, 10:27:23 AM

The offset idler bolt to reduce the slack or free play ?

Yes
My Projects

Carlb

Update,

I was talking to one of my neighbors the other day and he told me that they lost over 1700 dollars worth of  food that went bad in their refrigerators and freezers during the outage.  He said they had 1000 deductible on their insurance and he wasn't going to turn in it because he didn't want his rates to go up.

We have two refrigerators and one large freezer packed with food.  the freezer is full of meats all were fine.

If i remember correctly i had less than 1500 dollars invested in my setup when i did it, so i guess it really did pay for itself.
My Projects

LowGear

So this would be a good learning moment for survivalists regardless of their level of commitment.  A reliable independent energy source is critical and perhaps primary. 

Casey

veggie

I had just did an oil change about 2 weeks before it had  to run it for 3 days.  The only thing I wish I could fix is the Idler gear noise.  It would be great if someone with the ability could make some.  I don't have any to turn the parts needed or i would have come up with something.

Carlb

Did you see this listing?
(XYZer offset idler shaft)
http://www.microcogen.info/index.php?topic=3421.0

veggie

buickanddeere

Quote from: Carlb on July 27, 2015, 06:12:56 AM
Update,

I was talking to one of my neighbors the other day and he told me that they lost over 1700 dollars worth of  food that went bad in their refrigerators and freezers during the outage.  He said they had 1000 deductible on their insurance and he wasn't going to turn in it because he didn't want his rates to go up.

We have two refrigerators and one large freezer packed with food.  the freezer is full of meats all were fine.

If i remember correctly i had less than 1500 dollars invested in my setup when i did it, so i guess it really did pay for itself.

Can't feel too sorry for most people in a power outage . They have a boat, atv , a jacked up truck with huge tires, $$$ vacations , big screen TV's , the optional subscriptions on the cable or satelitte TV , a carton of smokes, a fridge full of beer, meals out and a pile of empty pizza boxes .no money for a generator and some canned food in reserve .
    A Generlink transfer switch on the electrical meter base and a 7200 Champion generator cost less than the lost food alone.

LowGear

I'm sorry.  As I have almost vowed to not follow threads completely off the edge of the computer screen but I have to ask.  What the Heck can $1700 of perishable food be made up of.  You know frozen stuff does have a half life sort of like uranium only not quiet as long.  So what are you storing for months for an everyday menu?  First In - First Out. 

Not to wander much more off the thread - Is there an assault rifle that uses the same ammunition as a Glock 9?  (Just as important as "Yo - little man.  What's in your Freezer?".

Casey

Carlb

Quote from: LowGear on July 30, 2015, 01:01:28 PM
I'm sorry.  As I have almost vowed to not follow threads completely off the edge of the computer screen but I have to ask.  What the Heck can $1700 of perishable food be made up of.  You know frozen stuff does have a half life sort of like uranium only not quiet as long.  So what are you storing for months for an everyday menu?  First In - First Out. 

Not to wander much more off the thread - Is there an assault rifle that uses the same ammunition as a Glock 9?  (Just as important as "Yo - little man.  What's in your Freezer?".

Casey

My neighbor has two large refrigerators and a large chest freezer in his house.   The freezer was full of meats and the refrigerators were full as well ( large family 6 people).  Maybe he was exaggerating on how much in money he lost but I know he keeps the freezer full of meats, I didn't question him.

As far as what assault rifle uses the same ammo as a "Glock 9"  I never heard of a Glock 9 I know of many glock firearms that fire the 9mm parabellum cartridge.   If you are referring to a 9mm parabellum cartridge there are literately hundreds of assault rifles that fire that cartridge.

Carl.
My Projects

dkeav

Yep you can buy an upper reciever to convert an AR-15 rifle to 9mm for less than $200USD

Henry W

I believe LowGear was referring to the Glock 19.