News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

listeroid service manual

Started by mobile_bob, November 14, 2009, 12:01:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mobile_bob

what i am thinking is in re to folks making comments about the resource that the listerengine forum either was or is
for the moment, comments like "wow there is so much information there that is lost" and the like.... so

what it comes down to to me is this, the need for a comprehensive service manual for a listeroid single and maybe then a twin.

the format is easy enough, all we have to do is follow the format that the big boys use in their manuals, with a few
additions and deletions that either apply or do not apply as the case may be.

so we start a topic on the board, maybe in the white paper section? or maybe that is where the proofed work gets copied to
and we start it in the listeroid section.

we do it with an outline form similar to this

Overview of a listeroid:,
here folks that want to write up a summary of the history, a bit about the indian manufacturing, problems
associated with the engine's as delivered etc. Basically a statement or group of statements that would educated someone that
is thinking of getting such an engine.

Uncrating and initial inspection of your engine:
here again folks that want to write comments on what one is to expect from an engine as delivered, things to watch out for upon
intial inspection, uncrating, checking all extra parts,  checking for damage, drop damage, damage to flywheels etc,, basically all the
things a guy should be aware of checking before he  signs off with the delivery guy.

complete teardown of the engine:
why this is needed, subassemblies, how to pull gib keys, remove parts,  remove cyl  head, cylinder, piston and rod, etc etc.

cleaning of all components:
, how to strip paint, where to find all the sand that is hiding, etc.

inspection of individual components:
crankshaft location, cylinder position and determining if both are plumb with the crankcase, liner protrusion, bump clearance,
etc etc.

reassembly of subassemblies: 
lapping valves, the benefits of a 3 angle valve job, checking for a flat surface, rocker geometry, setting liner protrusion, checking
ring end gaps, rod brg clearance, main brg clearances etc etc

assembling the engine:
step by step of putting it all together

fuel system:
filtration, elevation issues, fuel line issues, the need for adel clamps to secure injection lines, spill timing , injector pop off pressure
testing and setting, etc.

cooling system:
what all is required for a properly functioning thermal siphon system, thermostats and housing, water pumps and heat exchangers
etc.

mounting systems:
concrete block, resilient mounts, hybrid mounting systems (block on mat, etc)

exhaust systems:
mufflers, safety concerns, heat exchangers

and whatever else is deemed necessary

what i am thinking is lets agree to an outline and then post the outline
then below the outline members can either copy/paste their work from wherever it might be
or they could writeup an article outlineing a specific part that fits in the outline, and then
we can go back to the outline and post a link,

with as many folks here that have these engine's it shouldn't take to long to fill out a very comprehensive
service manual of sorts here on this forum.

when the manual gets fleshed out pretty well, we can then copy it to the white paper section where the
member contributions could be copy and pasted in place so that there would not be tons of linking needed
to follow through with continuity.

i know that i have saved back tons of detailed stuff that would go a good ways to fill in many places, and give
others that have more experience in a specific topic something to add to as well.

what do you guys think?  should we try it? if it is successful perhaps we can do the same for the twins?
the changfa's,  and maybe some other thing like st heads or something?

all i know is i saved back most anything needed by me to answer any question i might have about a listeroid
but that is me, and a new guy has no access to that info unless he want to go wade through 8gb of the old
listerengine forum and wait forever for each search to load, then he is faced with sorting the "wheat from the chaff"
And if he is a true newbie how is he going to know what is good and what is bad info?

its up to you guys, is this something that would be useful?  or do you guys want to wait and see if the listerengine.com
forum is "really" going to get better?

personally i would rather not wait on an unknown and as of yet not very reliable resource when we can probably replace
all that is really good and have it here for our own use, besides it would be much easier to download our version of such
a service manual as a pdf and have it safe and easily at hand.

thoughts and comments welcome

bob g

dubbleUJay

Bob, personally I think this is the right way to go about it and will be a great resource.

Just remember, even if its copyrighted, the Indiƫrs will duplicate it after cutting out the part about "stripping it before starting it" section ;)

I can "donate" my color drawings to use in it if you guys want, even make some more for the 2 cylinder if required ???

dubbleUJay
dubbleUJay
Lister  - AK - CS6/1 - D - G1 - LR1 -
http://tinyurl.com/My-Listers

JohnF

There is a reproduction of an original manual on my website - it is the basic one that came with the engines when originally sold.  It goes into some detail but of course doesn't get into the "touchy feely" stuff.
John F
www.woodnstuff.ca
Listers, Changfas, Redstones, AG's and anything else diesel I can get my hands on!

cgwymp

Great idea!

Quote from: mobile_bob on November 14, 2009, 12:01:31 AM
assembling the engine:
step by step of putting it all together

I'd like to see included a table of torque specs.  I don't recall having seen that anywhere....

Listeroid 8/1

dubbleUJay

Quote from: cgwymp on November 14, 2009, 04:47:09 AM

I'd like to see included a table of torque specs.  I don't recall having seen that anywhere....

Maybe differentiate between the original and clones as the have different head-bolt counts and torque's. I presume there might be other differences as well ???
I posted torque settings a while back which I thought was for the Dursley's, but apparently they were for a clones!
dubbleUJay
Lister  - AK - CS6/1 - D - G1 - LR1 -
http://tinyurl.com/My-Listers

veggie

Quote from: JohnF on November 14, 2009, 02:28:01 AM
There is a reproduction of an original manual on my website - it is the basic one that came with the engines when originally sold.  It goes into some detail but of course doesn't get into the "touchy feely" stuff.

JohnF,

Nice to see a manual written in proper English. The copy that came with my listeroid got so messed up in the translation that some sentences make absolutely no sense.
Thanks for posting that booklet.

Cheers,
Veggie