News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

listeroid expected temperatures

Started by mike90045, December 27, 2013, 10:18:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry W

With those temperatures the oil will never heat up to boil moisture out of the crankcase. I always figured they would be cold blooded. One of the reasons these Listeroids are so cold blooded is the mass. The iron is pulling the heat so it takes a long time to reach temperature, especially in cold weather. The Changfa's, Kubota's and engines of modern design will get to operating temperature much faster and in theory this will mean less emissions and longer life. My recommendation is cut down the coolant capacity, install a 195 thermostat along with a bypass and circulating pump and the radiator to the requirements. All this will help but all the engine mass will still prevent the engine to warm up quickly. This is one of the factors why the modern Diesel engines like the Kubota EA330, Z482 and others can meet emissions. They heat up quickly. I ran a test on a Z482 a while back and the engines thermostat got hot and was almost ready to open in aprox. two minutes with ambient temperature around 70 degrees F. Try to get listeroids up to temperature as fast as possible and there should be an improvement in efficiency and run time before overhaul.

Henry

Henry W

Here is a radiator that should work fine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/97-08-HONDA-CR85R-TWO-DUAL-ROW-CORE-ALUMINUM-CHROME-OFF-ROAD-MOTORCYCLE-RADIATOR-/150770218410

That little Honda engine puts out 18hp stock so this little radiator should work fine on a Listeroid 6/1

Henry

Ronmar

I like that radiators tall narrow dimensions Henry it would go great with a pair of 4" computer case fans.  Unfortunately I think the ports are to small to thermosiphon...
Ron
"It ain't broke till I Can't make parts for it"

Henry W

That is exactly what I was thinking. I feel that little radiator would be a good match for a 6/1. My little Kubota EA330 that is rated at 6.9 hp has a convection radiator that is smaller than the one I posted. With running multiple computer fans they can be set up to run one or more at a time. This type of setup would be great for many low hp liquid cooled diesel or gas engines up to eight or ten hp.

It would be best to run an electric water pump with a 195 thermostat and a bypass so the coolent is not flowing in the radiator when the engine is cold. Electric water pumps been used in automobiles for some time and they been reliable.

A Taco 00 series pump can be used also.

http://www.taco-hvac.com/en/products/%2200%22%26reg%3B%20Cartridge%20Circulators/products.html?current_category=52

Henry

BruceM

Nice radiator, Hwew, perfect size for a 6/1.   It would make a nice small radiator for my induced draft system.

I think it could thermosiphon just fine if those are 1/2'' or better hose bibs, with 3/4" ID hose for the rest.

Otherwise, I'd hack off the bibs and bore it out for a 3/4" fitting.

Ronmar

There might even be room to weld on 1" tube on the top and bottom tanks, I just hate to weld on a new $80 aluminum radiator:).

I use one of those small Taco circulators on my secondary loop on my 6/1  It is a 004 I think, but they don't list that one. I thought it was the smallest they made, but that link lists a 003.  It is plenty of capacity for a 6/1-8/1 sized engine.  It is gold colored and has 1/2" solder on ports...
Ron
"It ain't broke till I Can't make parts for it"