News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Which engine should i get ?

Started by craigcurtin, November 11, 2009, 10:07:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

veggie

Quote from: hwew on November 12, 2009, 05:57:48 PM
Veggie, Did you think of putting a muffler on the S195's Intake?
I an curious how much it will help.

Henry

I have not done anything with the intake yet.
There were a few people on the Lister Engine forum that reported a minor improvement by using an intake silencer however the majority of the noise is mechanical. The straight cut gears on the crank and counterbalance shafts create a lot of noise.
Perhaps Mobile_Bob could elaborate on that.

Having said that, I still think they are one of the best single cylinder work diesels on the planet. :)
(they just happen to be one of the loudest also).

Cheers,
Veggie

mobile_bob

in my opinion the 195 idi engine has the following sources of noise

1. the exhaust, the oem muffler while better than a pepper pot typical of a lister is not much better. certainly a good muffler
is a step in the right direction to abate this source of the problem, and very good results can be had.

2. the intake barks like a big dog, not wholly unlike a gm 5.7, 6.2 or 6.5 with the airfilter housing off the intake, and we
can learn from what GM used to abate the intake noise, that being an intake resonator that fits the snorkel of the aircleaner
i have tried one of them and am very happy with the result, dramatic intake noise reduction can be attained by using one.

3. the ignition event produces a sharp diesel knock, this radiates out of the castings everywhere, because of the engine's
thinner wall castings and less mass there is not much to mitigate the diesel knock in the original design,
here we can take a lesson form CAT, Cummins, Deteroit, mercedes etc and use insulated close fitting shields around the cylinder
and maybe over a portion of the head to deaden and contain this source of noise.

4. the last is of course the gear train, and in my opinion while it is certainly apparent i don't believe it is as big a contributor
to the problem as the former examples, my approach to gear train noise abatement is two fold, one is the use of another
insulated shield to contain the noise, and the other will be the placement of the oil return line from my pressure regulator.
i plan on placing the oil return so that it feeds directly into the gear case and specifically to shoot directly onto the governor
gear. the idea here is to flood the gear train from a central gear, the governor gear being centrally located will transfer
oil to the countershafts, to the crank and to the cam gear.  the bypass oil will run through an oil cooler before being returned
to the gear case and gear train, the theory being relatively cold oil is much thicker than hot oil and thick oil should take up
the clearance betweent the gear teeth and cushion their interaction and reduce the amount of noise generated by that source.

i am certain that the oem design provides for enough oil to lubricate the gears for long life, but i am equally certain that there is
no where near enough oil do dampen the gear teeth as they work against each other.  i used to have an old atlas 12" lathe
its gear box was populated with spur cut gears no different in design to those used in the changfa, that quick change gearbox was
noisey running at anything other than very low speeds. However you could dribble a flow of oil from a squirt can over an idler gear
and witness the dramatic decrease of noise going from the clackty clack, to no noise at all. from that my guess is it would not take
a lot of oil to get the job done.

i am convinced that the 195idi engine can be tamed to the point of acceptability with a little effort, after which the outer cover
that which will contain all the components of the trigenerator will further reduce the noise emissions to a level limited only by my
attention to detail and the amount of thought that i put into the design of the enclosure air intake and exhaust. careful placement of
baffleing can be used to take the energy out of the noise radiated from the  engine.

make that sound fold back and work upon itself in a  type of tuned noise cancelling scheme, again taken from lessons learned studying
GM's resonator, high flow mufflers like flowmasters, and of course high end enclosures used by the big boys to allow there engines to run
in populated area's.

i just don't think anyone has really made a solid effort to fully explore what can be done to abate the noise generated by these engine's,
at least that i have heard of, so i guess it is up to us to do it here on this forum.

bob g

Wizard

Also I was not sure if the changfa have too much tinwork for covering access holes and oil pan?  that can induce drumming and make racket.

1+ on that trying muffling the intake.  This need to be addressed to fully evaluate aspects of noise atteuting a changfa.

Cheers, Wizard